Quantcast

Chat

Photo
- - - - -

Back to School!

nanny grannies grandparents raising grandkid back to school needs family relations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts
  • LocationNortheast, U.S.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

By now (9/10/13)  most kids are back at school How does this impact your life, if at all? Please let us know, below, if there are any changes in your schedule and how you feel about that, etc.

Meanwhile, check out GP.Com's "The Ultimate Back to School Guide for Grandparents!" Do any of the items on the list strike a chord with you? Can you use any of the ideas? Have a few of your own? Please let us know below.

You can find the article by going to the following link:

http://www.grandpare...to-school-ideas

Edited by rosered135, 11 September 2013 - 01:03 PM.
to correct info and add ideas

#2 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

For me, of course, it will mean I have more time for myself again. And that's good though, once again, I'll have to go through that adjustment, as well as catching up on things I let slide in the past weeks. But I think I'll settle into my routine faster, this time, as I'm now more used to making these shifts.

#3 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ok, my granddolls are back in school now. And yes, I'm having to make that adjustment again but this time it is easier. That's b/c I'm more used to it now, as I said above, but also b/c this year, I made a schedule for myself, ahead of time, detailing which days I'm going to attend to immediate needs in my home, which days I'm going to play "catch up," etc.

How about you?

#4 grammabillie

grammabillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm feeling like I have less time mostly because my day is broken up.  I have some before school care as well as 4 days a week after care. If there are delays, days off, I pick up all that. I have to leave 1/2 hr early for pickup because the car lineup gets crowded fast.  Plus, the help from PGM changes each week, so it's hard to plan for my days off in much advance.  Great reminder Rose, on scheduling my time better.  I was good at it when I first retired - cleaning day, shopping day, etc.  Now i'm all over the place catch as catch can..  I'm a person who needs a schedule or things get away from me.  The 2 hours after school are going fast though.   We're picking up the BFF a couple days also so they can do homework together and then have some playtime, and I can just sit down or do chores.   With the shift to full pre/after/summer  care we started this year, I feel like I'm adjusting to a whole new life.

Not how I envisioned retirement, but it' s working out ok and maybe a good way to keep me active.   It's certainly a big help to DD and DGD.

#5 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I hear you, Billie, about the adjustment! I'm sorry that it's being made more difficult by the breaking up of your day but I hear that, too! And, of course, the sudden shifts caused by "delays" and "days off."

Trust me, I know it's "not how (you) envisioned retirement." As I often say, I don't think very many of us in here expected to be playing the role we are at this stage in life. So, no doubt, most of us GP/relative caregivers know what you're talking about.

Billie, I just hope it all gets easier with time. In fact, I'm sure it will. But either way, never forget that you can come and vent  in here!

#6 eightkid50

eightkid50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

I realize my kids are older but I still have to put them in school  I am such a happy grandparent/parent I get up at 6am to wake the ycs up and he is in 11th grade this yr  The ogs takes him to school in mornings as he hasn't much time at college yet(not full time til oct)  I get to go back to bed and I have a high schooler that comes clean once a wk to get extra money and I have a clean house now and freedom... GS got his lic Friday so now he can drive himself once reprt cards come in and he has straight A's I may let him start driving himself to school...  I see the light I see the light  one more yr!!!eight

• rosered135 likes this

#7 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

No doubt, eight, kids impact our lives, whether they're "older" or not! Glad you have less to do for them, now, though and can "get back to bed," after you wake the GSs, etc! And that you "see the light" in that proverbial "tunnel!"

Meanwhile, congrats to YGS on doing so well in school! And on getting his driver's license!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nanny grannies, grandparents raising grandkid, back to school needs, family relations