5 replies to this topic

#1 indymemaw

indymemaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:31 AM

A sweet grandparents.com friend mentioned she was planting her tomatoes and in discussing my love for home grown tomatoes, I mentioned tomato pie. I hope some of you enjoy the pie come July or so--my rating is--Delish! Here's the recipe plus a link to a song to enjoy until you can pick that 1st tomato, dear friend! Fresh Tomato Pie 1 - 9 inch pie crust, unbaked 2 cups shredded mozzarella (or Italian) cheese 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 2 teaspoons dried basil (can use fresh if available) or Italian seasoning mix 3-4 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced 1 tablespoon olive oil Salt to taste (fresh ground black pepper if desired) Directions 1.\\tPreheat oven to 400 2.\\tFit pie crust into 9 inch pie plate. Prick unbaked crust generously with a fork. Bake in preheated oven until very lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. 3.\\tPlace shredded mozzarella in bottom of baked pie crust, top with parmesan and basil. 4.\\tLayer sliced tomatoes on top of cheese/basil layer. 5.\\tDrizzle top of tomatoes with olive oil, top with black pepper and salt to taste. 6.\\tBake pie in preheated oven 25-30 minutes. Let pie cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

#2 tch123

tch123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

Absolutely delicious everyone loved it.

#3 BobbiSue2009

BobbiSue2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Do you use green tomatoes or ripe ones. Sounds delicious...

#4 indymemaw

indymemaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

I used ripe tomatoes--hadn't even thought about green! Sounds like a good idea--I like those too--there aren't too many tomatoes I don't like! I don't know if I ever added this--I'm vegetarian and I don't mind it not having meat but so many people seem to like to add pepperoni to this--I haven't tasted it--but to them it's wonderfull so I want to pass that along.

#5 BobbiSue2009

BobbiSue2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Sounds delicious. Will certainly give it a try. I'm assuming the tomatoes are ripe???

#6 indymemaw

indymemaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yes! I hope yours are getting ripe--a couple-three weeks for ours--yum--enjoy!