- - - - -

Daughter and grandson living with us.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hello I am 60 years old (pap is 63 and retired). Our daughter is a single mom to our grandson who is almost 7 years old. We all live together in our home. Our daughter works long hours so I have become his second mother. Believe me it is hard doing this again at my age.Is ther anyone else doing this too? My name is Yankee.

#2 itsbertha

itsbertha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hi Yankee! You will be hearing from many grandparents here who share in the full time care of their grandchild - and in many cases grandchildren. This is the perfect place to Read All About It! Our son is unmarried and the father of a 10 1/2 year old son. They have lived with us for almost 4 years (come March). I am the maternal figure in GS's life - but first I'm grandma. We get to experience all the joys of this child first hand. Yes, sometimes it's stressful. But very rewarding. Sometimes it's a challenge to make all this work smoothly ... so it's never dull. Bless you and your husband for welcoming your daughter and her son. Your daughter is a fortunate woman to have your support, and your grandson is truly blessed to have you and your husband in his life. You never know what will make a memory ... sometime it's the smallest thing. It might be just sharing a picture book or building a Lego creation. At times I do wish I could just be retired now - but on the other hand I wouldn't get the "I Love You Grandma" greetings each morning. We wouldn't miss this experience for the World! Good Luck! And God Bless You All!

#3 fredigram

fredigram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4132 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:10 AM

Welcome Yankee! And I agree with itsbertha - You and your DH (dear husband)are wonderful to be helping out your DD (darling daughter)and GS (grandson) this way. While my DD doesn't live with me, I watch her children several days a week. And I know that while there are many challenges, there are also lots of rewards, as you 2 ladies described. Delighted that you chose to join us!

#4 JanJ

JanJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

My daughter, son-in-law and twin 2 year old granddaughters live with my husband and I since May 09 and will probably leave around May of 10. We are both 63. I take care of the girls even when they were not living with us. I am caregiver when I am alone with them but Grandma when either one gets home from work. I then don't feed, diaper, clothe. I hug and cuttle and kiss and do all the grandma stuff. It has worked out so well. I am lucky though, I have lots of energy and have just lost 42 pounds so I do pretty well keeping up with them. I take time when they are napping to do sit down stuff like computer, read, crochet.