• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 momtobj

momtobj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

As a soon to be grandmom/daycare provider (baby is due in July), I was wondering if my son and his wife are supposed to leave some sort of medical treatment permission letter with me. I know if (God forbid) the baby needed emergency lifesaving treatment at a hospital, that it would be provided, with or without parental permission. However, I've heard of cases where there was an injury and the child was forced to wait for non emergency treatment until the parents could arrive to sign permission forms. When my kids were little, I gave my parents (who occasionally babysat) a letter allowing them to give permission for medical procedures in my absence. Does anyone know if this is still done? Does something legal need to be drawn up or will a letter do? BTW, I'm so glad I found this board. I'm both excited and terrified to be facing the amazing joy and massive responsibility of my new "job." It's nice to connect with others in the same situation. Thanks for being here!

#2 fredigram

fredigram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4132 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

You're very welcome! And welcome to this group, as well! Congrats on the coming baby! Hope the mom has an easy and healthy delivery! And I wish a lot of joy to you all! Good luck, too, as you embark on this great adventure as a GP 9grandparent) caregiver! Of course, you're excitded - and nervous, too. In fact, you're cocern about emergencies may reflect some of that general fear. But I think it's very wise to get all your questions "out there, " beforehand. I admit, though, that I don't have the answer here. Perhaps somneone else does? You might also want to post this question in Ask GrandFamilies of America (under "Family," above). Usually, they deal with legal questions for GPs who have or are seeking custody or guardianship, but someone there may have the answer to this one. Meanwhile, please feel free to come here and voice any and all of your concerns about caregiving. And don't forget to tell us when that baby-doll arrives!

#3 eightkid50

eightkid50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Hi -- When the children were living with us we had the parents to draw up a letter and also a copy of medical card for emerg--Now i have custody and i still have to give permission per letter if kids go to disneyland with friends or on field trips so i would get a letter from parents and that way there is no doubt in case--- eight

#4 momtobj

momtobj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thank you both! It's so nice to know there are other GPs in the same situation. You're correct about the "fear" factor.... My oldest (the soon-to-be-Dad) is going to be 30 years old soon, and my youngest will be 28. It's been a long, long, LONG time since I've changed diapers and been responsible for a tiny being. I'm sure I'll get back in the saddle, but it is scary. Being responsible for your own child is scary enough (when my godson was taking his new baby home from the hospital, he confessed to looking around for someone to stop him from leaving. He couldn't believe he was being allowed to leave with this human being who he knew nothing about caring for!). Looking out for someone else's baby is even scarier. But I told my DS and DDIL, no one will love their baby more or look out for his safety as much as I will (except, of course, his Mom & Dad!). I guess the rest will come back with time and exposure. Fortunately, DDIL will be going back to work gradually, a few hours a day at first, so I should be able to slide into daycare slowly.... I will certainly be posting here with questions and triumphs, as they come along. Thank you so much for this resource!

#5 skyapplefluff

skyapplefluff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hello! I have care of my grandchildren pretty much 24/7 for the last few years. A few months ago, I needed to take one of my 5 yr old granddaughter to the Emergency Room for a suspected asthma attack which could have been life threatening. My DD was not available, unable to be reached & the father isn't in the picture. Although I have had done this several times before, with no problems, the facility now required a specific consent form signed by the custodial parent to allow me to have her treated. This was due to the new HIPPA regulations. It took an emergency court order for me to give consent to treat. This was initiated with the help of the facility's Social Services Dept for the once only situation. It is really tough feeling helpless in that type of situation. Fortunately, everything worked out fine. I do have the consent form now, so that I don't have to go thru that agony again. I can have either of the girls treated when needed. I suggest that you check with your local hospital and/or physician's office to verify if they require a specific form, if one can be kept on file for future reference, or if needed for each visit. Also ask if they will accept a "notarized letter" from the custodial parent. This is signed by the custodial parent w/identification in front of a Notary Public (most banks have one). I had found out that just having a letter wasn't acceptable because anyone could type or sign a letter. Once you have that form/letter, I would keep a few copies handy, just in case. Hope this helps aleviate your fears. skyapplefluff