• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gramofthree

Gramofthree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Jackson is my first grandchild. We did so many things together when he was younger. I have been trying to come up with some one on one activities for the two of us. We went to the museum here in our city last weekend. He loved it and wants to go back. I was tickled pink! He soaked it up like a sponge It is much easier to find things to do with my 5 and 6 year old granddaughters, but I so want to spend quality time with Jackson also. I am open for suggestions.

#2 YankeeDoodle

YankeeDoodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Why not let him help you cook? Help you shop? Plenty of good teachable moments in both those activities and he (and you) will benefit in many ways. I always enjoyed helping my grandmother because I loved her and I knew she loved me. Sometimes it really is all about the time we spend with our precious grandchildren.

#3 YankeeDoodle

YankeeDoodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Why not let him help you cook? Help you shop? Plenty of good teachable moments in both those activities and he (and you) will benefit in many ways. I always enjoyed helping my grandmother because I loved her and I knew she loved me. Sometimes it really is all about the time we spend with our precious grandchildren.

#4 EASYTOUCH

EASYTOUCH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Over the past year with 4 grandkids of my own from 3 families I can fully realize how hard it can be.I have one grand-daughter 10 who has a sister only 5 years and the times I got together was hard to give the individual time. The 10 year old is very close to me and while she enjoyed the times the three of us had I found myself in your place of the individual time.It sounds like its more that what ever you do with him is fine as long as you are doing something. I have found she just wanted time it didn't matter if things had been done before or were new. At his age like I did have you just asked HIM what he likes? My 10 year old just loved showing and doing the things that she liked if nothing else to show off at me. I'm sure you've done all sorts of things trying to have a variety but even just a walk or simple time talking about you as a kid and things you like thrills them. In my local paper there is a listing of different community activities and such. even if it may not sound like its real exciting try to remember that anything done with Grandma is ok as long as its time spent with her. I've spent time just looking at funny pictures on the computer with her and that thrilled her. Her sister always goes to bed earlier giving her 1 hour of my undivided attention and makes her feel special.Just relax and do anything even if it seems like it might be boring and remember its not always what you DO but just the fact that he spends ANY time doing anything with Grandma is all he really wants.

#5 Gramofthree

Gramofthree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Thanks so much for the feed back. I guess I have been trying too hard. I did get Jackson a Fender guitar for Christmas, but he has not had lessons yet. The family has been so busy. Jackson plays basketball. My son-in-law is the coach and between practices and games, it hasn't left much time for lessons. His six year old sister, Jillian has switched gymnastic schools this year and is in a competition class. They practice two nights a week for 2 1/2 hours and she just loves it. Jackson will actually turn nine on March 3rd. I have found a qualified young person, full of personality to give Jackson guitar lessons. That is what I will be giving him for his birthday. Basketball will be winding up right about that time. They are also involved in their church which ties up Wednesday night. They are very well rounded kids. I am proud of my daughter and my son-in-law. I do have another granddaughter, Morgan who is five years old. She is still in pre-school this year because of her October birthday. She is a beautiful little girl.

#6 EASYTOUCH

EASYTOUCH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

It certainly looks like they are VERY busy in life and experiencing lots of new things which is great.Its almost a wonder you get to sopend any time with them. I just had a great awakening with my 13 year old grandson the other day. Last summer I spent weekend times split up between the grandkids which included some sort of a special activity or field trip and spending the night with grandpa. Anyway I went on a river raft trip and spent the day with him floating down the river and rapids. We both enjoyed the time together and even in an effort to make something better I had told him I would look into making it better with an overnight raft trip this year. Well the other day when I was talking to him about that he actually told me he would be just as happy doing the same day trip again. It did not matter if it was a longer trip or anything like that he just enjoyed the time and experience and that was all he wanted and even expected. What a kid Huh? I guess I just overlooked the simple things in life but I'm learning and will have fun in the process.

#7 libertywarrior

libertywarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

We have a science museum here in Columbus, Ohio; it provides a rich experience in all types of scientific areas. I take my 9-year-old there. There are astronomy movies; archeology; physics; bodily functions; all kinds of scientific areas explained and illustrated so kids will like it, like Rat Basketball (biology). Do you have such a scientific museum in an area near you? Does he like sports. Ask him what he likes. Maybe take along a friend. Eating out is also a good experience. Car shows if he likes autos. Rodeos is there is one near you.

#8 Gramofthree

Gramofthree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

The river rafting sounds great, but this gram does not swim. We do have a Science Museum in Louisville, KY which is about two hours away. I had thought about that. I am sure he would enjoy it. I really appreciate all the ideas!

#9 nanadelight

nanadelight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

While I must agree that it is much easier to relate to my granddaughter's activities...I also enjoy my grandson's very much..It is just much different. I can tell you that with my 10 year old grandson..he has so much stimulation in his life with school, sports, friends etc that he seems to love to just slow down and help me make dinner, play cards or games and he also enjoys doing crafts of interest to him...I purchased a book that had numerous paper planes that we had to figure out how to fold and put together..a chalenge that was right up his ally. For me it seems that with my grandson...less is more.