48 replies to this topic

#1 crazyat60

crazyat60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

These days we need to stretch our dollars! Will you share your favorite money saving recipe?

#2 homeygfunk

homeygfunk

• Moderators
  • 1250 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

using ground turkey or ground chicken in recipes that call for ground beef can save a few pennies and calories

#3 critter21

critter21

• Moderators
  • 865 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

GOULASH
1 small Onion chopped (cook with Beef or Turkey)
1 Lb. Ground Beef Or Turkey browned and drained
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 pkg dry wide egg noodles cooked and drained
1 can Tomato soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
2 slices american cheese diced
Mix beef, noodles, soups & cheese together
pour into casserole dish and layer additional
strips of cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
or until hot & bubbly. Serve with Garlic Bread
Green Beans & Salad
This can be doubled for bigger families

#4 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 5712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

My own MIL made these potatoes right after she got her first microwave in the 80's. There is no real name for them...we call them Microwave Potatoes. They have always been one of my kids favorites.

Microwave Potatoes

Chop 4 strips of bacon and place in a large bowl. (If the bowl is too small, the milk will boil over)
Add 1/2 a chopped onion and cook until the onion is clear and the bacon is cooked but not browned over much.

While the onion and bacon is cooking, peel and slice 4 large potatoes. Place potatoes in the bowl and add enough milk to just cover them. (I don't seacon at this point because sometimes the bacon is extremely salty).

Cook on high and stir every five minutes. It usually takes 20 to 25 minutes in my microwave. When the potatoes are just beginning to get tender, add about a 1/2 stick of butter/margarine and season to taste. Cook another minute or two until tender.

These potatoes are great served with meatloaf or Polish Sausages. I have had people say that I make the best "German Potato Salad". I have also tried making them in a crock pot...the milk curtled. They only work for me in a microwave. If there are leftovers...add cheese when you warm them for a second great meal.

#5 crazyat60

crazyat60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Great ideas! I think I'll try them both!

#6 Gran03

Gran03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Easy, fast, and cheap: Box of Mac and Cheese, prepare as directed (I always added a few slices of american cheese to zip it up a bit). In the strainer, while waiting for water to boil, that will be used to drain the noodles put frozen sweet peas and drained tuna. The hot water from the noodles will heat them nicely.. Put it all back into the pot to warm and mix, add a bit of milk or butter to thin if it's to thick. Great all in one meal. I still make a big batch for myself and freeze it for later individual meals.

#7 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 11477 posts
  • LocationNortheast, U.S.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Mmmm... these all sound delicious! And I love that they're inexpensive and easy, too!

#8 skipped

skipped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

Go vegetarian

1)Meatless soups- split pea, navy bean, cream of potato, cream of cauliflower, carrot, cream of broccoli, lentil, tomato with a grilled cheese or other sandwich and salad

2) Indian dishes- we've made vegetable curries, dahl.  We make homemade naan bread to go with it

3) buy a vegetarian cookbook and experiment

4) cook from scratch

#9 crazyat60

crazyat60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Do you have a curry recipe?..

#10 skipped

skipped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

This is our favorite curry recipe

Potato and Vegetable Curry

4 tbsp vegetable oil

8 oz potatos

2 onions cut in fouths

3 garlic cloves smashed (I use more)

1 tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp tumeric

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp coriander

2 tsp ginger root grated (we use fresh but I suppose you could substitute powder)

1 red chili chopped (sometimes we substitute ground cayenne pepper)

2 cups cauliflower flowerets

small  (12ounce?) can of tomatoes

1/4 cup frozen peas

2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (absolutely essential)

1 1/4 cup vegetable stock (I use any partial box of stock I have left over sitting in my refrigerator even if it is a meat base as I am not vegetarian I just like this dish)

more fresh cilantro chopped for garnish

serve over rice or with naan bread

sautee the potatoes onions and garlic over low heat in the oil until onions start to soften, then add the spices and chile to the pan mixing the spices until coated.  Cook over low heat stirring constantly for one minute.  Add he cauliflower tomatoes, cilantro and stock and cook for 30- 40 minutes until the potatoes are tender- we add the peas last because I don't like them cooked much just heated through.  Garnish with cilantro.  Serve over rice or with naan bread.

#11 crazyat60

crazyat60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Yum, I'll try it! Thanks

#12 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 5712 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

I've never eaten curry, I'll keep this recipe in mind.

#13 ChAriLu3

ChAriLu3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

My cheapest meal is a roast chicken.  You can often find a roaster for as little as .99 a pound.  Cook it with some potatoes and carrots for meal #1.  Then use leftover carrots, potatoes and chicken for a chicken pie and the rest of the leftover chicken for a 3rd meal - we will often have chicken with broccoli and ziti or chicken Divan.  Sometimes Buffalo chicken pasta.

Not bad for $8.

#14 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 5712 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Pot roast is one of our favorites...very good leftover also.

#15 mrsslant

mrsslant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

My biggest thing for cooking cheaply is to look at how many uses I'm going to get out of something.  Tonight I cooked a turkey from my freezer.  This turkey will become many things.  Pot Pie, enchiladas, turkey black bean chili and turkey noodle soup.  I usually buy whole chickens for this reason when they are on sale as well.   Sue also has a good point with Roast.  It is good on its own.  But it can also be turned into stew and shredded bbq sandwiches.  I'm sure there are other uses, that is just what I usually do. 

#16 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 5712 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

Just a plain ole cold roast beef sandwich with lettuce and tomato is pretty hard to beat...it is one of my favorites.  (We never buy cold cuts.)

#17 Tinka

Tinka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2906 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Fried rice can be really cheap.  Cook rice & let it get cold, overnight is the best.  Then you saute with a little oil & soy sauce, or you can pick up a 50 cent fried rice pack at the grocery store that does the seasoning for you.  Add a bag of frozen peas & carrots for another dollar & any left over meat.  There is a ton of stuff you can do to stretch this.

#18 Arabella

Arabella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Fifteen Bean Soup is very cheap. Buy a package of 15 beans (bagged dried bean section) use enclosed seasoning packet, one large onion diced, 1 14-20oz can diced tomatoes with their juice, 8+ cups water and no meat. Read and follow package directions. Cooks all day, crockpot if you wish.

#19 Arabella

Arabella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Parmesan & White Bean Burgers

• 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 cups cooked white beans (soak, cook, and drain the day prior)
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan
  • 2 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs

In a skillet set over medium heat, cook onion and garlic, in bit of oil, until softened. Add water and spices. Cook until spices are aromatic. Mash beans in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Add onion mixture and remaining ingredients, mashing as you go. Season mixture with salt and pepper. Divide and form into 6 patties. Cook on the grill or the stove top over medium heat, until both sides are browned and patties are heated through. I also make sliders from this mixture. Super Bowl: ground beef tenderloin, ground turkey, and white bean sliders with various toppers and cheeses.

Optional: Serve over a bed of salad greens with salad dressing.  Makes: 6

Adapted from Kitchen Simplicity  (and I add a grated carrot with the onions)

#20 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 5712 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I simply enjoy white beans cooked with onion, celery, carrots and a ham bone.