163 replies to this topic

#1 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

The purpose of my dieting is to lower my B/P, cholesterol, and blood sugar. I am diabetic. I am down to 153.9; I would like to be down to 150 by my Dr. appt. in Feb. I think I began at 176.2. I'm still eating my Quaker Medleys Fruit/Nut oatmeal, but I was surprised that I have been able to lose weight by eating my own cooking, instead of frozen low cal entrees!! I have been making ham loaf, stuffed chicken, and meatloaf. I'm eating smaller portions, but I eat a bit of everything, including Bob Evans mashed potatoes, and stuffing from our local farm market. Yesterday, we ate at Ruby Tuesday, and they have listed several meals with their calorie content. I noticed a petite sirloin steak, had less calories than my usual grilled salmon, so I had that along with spaghetti squash, and a small baked potato, AND, a red velvet cupcake, under 300 cal. See ya later, gotta eat supper!! :D

#2 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts
  • LocationNortheast, U.S.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Just saw this, Imback! Good luck with your diet! It sounds as if you're able to incude some tasty dishes! Happy Dining! :)

P.S. I hope you don't mind if I pin this thread up, as I imagine some other posters would enjoy discussing their diets and swapping "notes," etc.

#3 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi!! Thanks for pinning!! I had hoped that others would post re: their diet secrets!! I noticed I'm stuck again; I need that needle to move!! I hadn't been eating my meat meals, so I want to stick something in the crockpot for tonight!! I believe the protein keeps the needle on the scales moving.

#4 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 6138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi imback. I started 'watching' what I was eating about the first of September. Not really a diet...just trying to eat much much healthier and I gave up caffeine, sweet drinks and milk. I lost about 30 lbs before Christmas and back to that again. Sometimes I think I cut out too many calories and the needle just stops. I do feel much better.

We love the crock pot here. Roast is our all time favorite protein.

#5 Cobaltblue

Cobaltblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1128 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Oh, that is encouraging. Great job SueSTx.   I have gained about thirty pounds since I went to court in 2010.  I was really overweight then.  I stress eat.  I know that eating chocolate, and junk food doesn't help me with the stress but at that moment I don't care.  I wish I could overcome the stress eating.  I think that I am about to be able to go on a diet.  I am trusting God with my problems.  If I can continue to trust God then maybe I will not stress eat. 

Years ago I lost 50 pounds; I got down to my goal weight.  I now have gained all that back plus tremendously more.  I know how to diet.  I lost before and I can lose again when I get my heart and mind  right. 

#6 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 6138 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Since Thanksgiving, it is all I can do to hold my own. I'm ready for some warmer weather so I can walk.

#7 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi everyone!! 

I think warm weather is what I need too!! The cold just makes me want to keep snuggled and warm, and not moving!! Although today, I decided to move; Here was my dilemma- I had gotten meat loaf at the local market, where I had never had a problem. When I unwrapped the saran, I smelled something out of the ordinary, but I put the meat into the oven. I felt increasingly uneasy about it, so I took it back to the store, after a short time in the oven. They refunded my money, but now I'm skittish about buying meat there. And, I'm more convinced there was a problem with that meat, because the saran wrap, and the empty aluminum loaf pans thrown into the garbage can, were really stinky!!  (It was blend of beef, veal, and pork) So, I hadn't bought/made my usual meat, potato, veggie meal, and today, I strongly craved meat protein. I went to Ruby Tuesday, and brought home my salmon, broccoli, and baked potato, and a chicken meal for Husband, that he usually orders. I feel full, and satisfied, and that's key for me on a diet. The needle did move just a teensy; I'm 153. 7 and holding. Initially, I had been on a weekly diet of Saladworks salads, but I got tired of them. I have a George Foreman washable plates grill, that's been in the box. I'm thinking I want to start using it to grill my own salmon. I switched my brand of yogurts, after tasting Oikos Greek yogurt, only 130 cal. and it's so good!! I have also discovered Nabisco Honey Maid grahamfuls, banana vanilla cream and peanut butter chocolate, 110/120 cal. They're crunchy, tasty, and a nice snack. Cobalt, I just love food!!! I recently checked the calorie content of sandwiches from Isaacs, that I had been eating last summer and when I saw that the delicious chicken salad with cranberries and almonds/including that delicious cheddar wrap, was 857 cal. with 56 grams of fat, 13 grams saturated fat, 124 grams of cholesterol, 1104 mg. of sodium, and 59 grams of carbs, folks, I ask you, " Why should I be surprised that I had gained a ton of weight, and had high blood pressure and cholesterol?? Foods seem so harmless, until one checks the nutritional info. Blessings to each of you in your weight loss!! I know how tough it is!!! Hugs!!!

#8 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyy, for those of us who loveeeeee Ruby Tuesday pasta/ham/pea salad, 1 cup has 445 calories!!!!! Yikes!!!!! Fat content is 26.4 grams Double Yikes!!!!!! I had gotten some last evening, along with lettuce, to eat today; Guess that won't be happening!!! Unless I eat one-fourth cup!!! I knew it had to have a high calorie content, and since I've been dieting, I did have a teensy bit with my meals at Ruby Tuesday, but, once again, now I know why I gained all that weight!!! I wish some of my favorite restaurants would offer lower calorie alternatives to some of our favorites, like fat free mayo in the pasta?  And, to my favorite restaurants, it would be awesome if you had a low calorie margarine instead of butter blend, whatever that is; I like a bit of something yellow and melted on my baked potato. And, how about some low cal. desserts? That would be a dieters dream, to be able to dine out, and still have some kind of dessert, that's not going to bankrupt a diet!! Thanks!!!

#9 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 6138 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I don't count calories/fat grams...I know enough about nutrition to know that if it tastes good, it can't be good for me :sorry: so I just try to eat lean meat, lots of fruits and vegetables and decrease my carbs. 

Hubby doesn't have a weight problems and he likes snack foods...chips are hard for me to walk by when the bag is open. 

#10 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I don't count calories/fat grams...I know enough about nutrition to know that if it tastes good, it can't be good for me :sorry: so I just try to eat lean meat, lots of fruits and vegetables and decrease my carbs. 

Hubby doesn't have a weight problems and he likes snack foods...chips are hard for me to walk by when the bag is open. 

Hi, Sue!!  My Husband doesn't have a weight problem either. I mostly count calories, 1200 a day, or close to it, if I want to lose, but for me, seeing the amount of fat in what were my favorite foods last summer, is an incentive now to not eat them, or at least just have a teensy bit, while I'm dieting. Because most fruits are on my bladder irritant list, and because I'm diabetic, I don't eat a lot of fruit. Not all the fruits on the list are a problem for me; I can eat bananas and apples without symptoms. I do react to peaches, and some yogurts I'm ok with, but they can be an irritant also. I'm not a snack food person. My temptations are chocolate, and cake. (I have heard that lacking magnesium causes chocolate craving). I satisfy my chocolate cravings with chocolates sweetened with SPLENDA, but since they are also sweetened with alcohol sugar, which causes an "uncomfortable side effect", I know my limit is 1 or 2 pieces a day, but some days, I don't crave it, so I don't eat it. Also, I have given up caffeine/soda (even diet), as well as decaffeinated products. Caffeine is on the bladder irritant list, but knowing my own body, I have discovered that a UTI always follows, if I've been drinking diet soda, or decaf drinks. Recently, I thought I could drink an envelope of hot choc. 90 cal. but after a number of evenings of doing that, I was having the pre-UTI issues, so I stopped. Chocolate also has caffeine in. Apparently, for me, the issue is how much caffeine, because I have symptoms when drinking decaf products, which have some caffeine in. I miss not being able to "fill up" with a diet soda, or a hot beverage, while dieting. I especially miss caffeine; I never overindulged in drinking coffee, maybe a cup a day. but I miss the energy it gave me. One time, I did buy a rather large hazlenut coffee, but soon after drinking it, my heart went nuts, and I had to go to my Dr., who gave me a beta blocker, to slow my heart down..... no more coffee for me. :sad: Soooo, dieting is challeging for me, in that I'm diabetic, but also certain foods can cause menopausal burning or UTI's for me. Oh, and I'm lactose intolerant. I use Lactaid non-fat milk, on my oatmeal Here's the list, provided to me by my urologist. Remember, everyone, you might not have issues with everything on the list. (Clicking on the list will enlarge it). PS I'm glad lima beans are on the "naughty" side of the irritant list!! LOL, I NEVER LIKED THEM!!!!

Attached Files

#11 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I just want to add that with this diet, I'm more cautious about foods high in sodium, because I don't need the water retention which shows up on the scales, nor are they good for my high blood pressure. I've read that 1500 milligrams of sodium per day is recommended. If folks have high blood pressure, kidney disease, or other medical issues this might not apply. And BIG EYE OPENER FOR ME, MANY OF THE BRAND NAME DIET FROZEN MEALS HAVE OVER HALF OF THE DAILY RECOMMENDED SODIUM INTAKE. That's a lotta salt!!!! No wonder weight loss was slow when I ate those meals, and I NEVER felt full or satisfied after eating them.

#12 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

PRAISE THE LORD !!!!! Yeahhhhhh!!! Big drop today!!! As I got on the scales, I was praying, "Oh, LORD, please may I be down to 152, having been 153.7. Well!!!! BIG SURPRISE!!!! I am now 151.5 !!! Perhaps I'll make my 150 by the time I have my diabetic check in six days!!! I'm so happy to be entering the 40's soon !!!!

#13 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 6138 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Congratulations...good work.

I'm still just hovering without any real gain or loss.  Hoping the warm weather will soon make a difference.

#14 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Hi, Sue!! Thanks!! Perhaps you'll soon experience a big drop like I did!!  That seems to be how it goes for me, dayssssss at a certain weight, then big drop!! I ate supper out last night, and hope I didn't gain!!! I had salmon, grilled veg. and I asked for about a cup of plain penne (probably should have skipped this one), to which I added a teeny bit of butter. I ate one of my 120 cal. bars that I had in my purse.(Well, I had to do something while I watched Daughter eat her delicious coconut custard pie with rum sauce/whipped cream- she let me taste a teeny bite :D )  When I got home, I had two pcs. of my SPLENDA candy. Add these to my 390 cal. of banana and oatmeal, early in the day, and I went over 1200 cal. but I can go over by 300 and not gain, hopefully.

#15 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Congratualtions, Imback!

#16 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thank you, Rosered!! How are you? I'm in another holding pattern, eagerly awaiting entering the 40's!! Today we attended a Birthday dinner. I was GOOD!! I didn't have any Birthday Cake!!! Had my diabetic appt. and my blood pressure hasn't come down as much as I had hoped, nor my cholesterol level;  Dr. reminded me that it isn't always the foods we eat, but the cholesterol can be a genes issue. (I have not been able to take meds for hypertension or high cholesterol, because I have had side effects from all I've tried). My blood sugar really came down, so I'm happy about that!! I'm now hoping that by my next check, in May, I can lose about 22 lbs.

#17 SueSTx

SueSTx

• Moderators
  • 6138 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Well, I cheated a bit a couple of days, but the scale still showed a small weight loss.  I need to go to the doctor the end of the month to have my numbers checked.

#18 rosered135

rosered135

• Moderators
  • 12454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

@ imback - You're weclome!

@ imback and Sue - Continued good luck!

#19 imback

imback

Advanced Member

• Members