• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
homeygfunk

Let me introduce myself

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I am homeygfunk. I have just been asked to be lead moderator for this group. I have accepted as you can see. I am still learning all that is involved so please be patient as I get my feet wet.

2 people like this

Congratulations homey! I have no doubt you'll do a wonderful job! :db: :clapping: :give_rose: :db:

1 person likes this

Thanks

1 person likes this

Hello I am new to the group want to make friends.

Welcome to the group, Saeed. There are a lot of great people here. You might want to start a new thread, I think you would get more responses that way. At the top of the group page there is a link to the right that says start a new topic. I hope you find many friends here.

Thanks homey yes I can see tree are nice people here

“Hello, I am Jessica  from Boulder, CO and I am a housewife. I am a mother of two children, a boy and a girl, ages of six (6) and two (2) respectively. I am quite busy in caring them most specially on their personal qualities wherein it reflects on the way we raise them. I want them to grow with discipline because they will carry these qualities until they will have their own families.

I have an experience in nursery formal education, so I can give some advice to parents dealing with different type of children's behaviors. Like the biggest issue of today which is bullying that can affect the performance such as being low of self-esteem, lack of assertiveness, aggression and many others of the child. Example, older children are forcing the younger once to do bad things and if they will not follow, they will mucking them and say bad words that can hurt the feelings of the bullied children with regards of their innocence.

As a parent, we are very much concern and very particular on this issue because no parents like that their own children are being hurt or bullied.

My hobbies are writing articles like this issue and concerns about children and editing pictures using Photoshop.
Thank you very much! I look forward for further suggestions and comments."

Edited by homeygfunk
last name removed/guideline 5a, remove solicitation

A post in this thread has been hidden for review. It may/may not be restored in its entirety.

@JessicaC306 - Welcome! Glad you decided to join us!

Meanwhile, I've sent you a PM (personal/private message). To find it, just click on the the envelope icon in the upper right corner of the page. Thank you. :)

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

A post in this thread has been hidden for review. It may/may not be restored in its entirety.

The post has been edited and restored.

1 person likes this

Welcome,  JessicaC306. Interesting information about the bullying. I see that you are a busy person. I hope you can come in more in the future and post here. 

1 person likes this

Thank you very much!! such a pleasure to join ...

Edited by JessicaC306

On 4/5/2017 at 9:23 PM, homeygfunk said:

Welcome,  JessicaC306. Interesting information about the bullying. I see that you are a busy person. I hope you can come in more in the future and post here. 

Thank you very much.

Hi. My name is amchristie42, my home is Pennsylvania. I have 3 children, 24, 18 and 10, girl, boy, girl. My eldest daughter is mother of 2 beautiful children, 7 and 2. so, I became a grandmother at the tender age of 35! OMGosh! She was still in High school when she had my grandson. the two of them lived with me until he was about 9 months old, when I got laid off from my job and had to move in with friends so she took my grandson and moved in with her grandparents. A couple years later, she handed over custody of my grandson to them and kind of just left. She visited him regular for a while and then it kind of died off, and she saw him maybe once every month - two months. Sad...

And about 2 yrs ago she had a second child, a little girl. She and her man were living "on the street" when she found out she was pregnant. Long story short, I went and picked her up and had her come live with me and my fiancé. Then about a year ago she had a substance abuse problem and checked herself into re-hab, which was the best thing she could have done. She gave me temporary guardianship of my granddaughter at that time. And come November last year I was granted sole legal custody and primary physical custody of my granddaughter. So last year was a tough year to say the least. I have been looking for some kind of a support group that "fits" my current situation....and I found this site today, and said "What the heck, might as well see what it's about"

Edited by homeygfunk
to edit out name for privavcy

Welcome, amchristie42. I became a grandmother at the age of 39. I see you have had a lot go on with your daughter. So sorry to hear all the circumstances involved. I hope you continue to post here. There is also a group called Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren that you might find interesting since you are caring for your grandchild.

Edited by homeygfunk
to edit out name
1 person likes this

Welcome, amchristie! Glad you decided to come and "see what (this site) is about!" Sorry it's as the result of such difficult circumstances though. My heart goes out to you and yours!

No doubt, you feel bad about your ODD (older dear daughter) and her problems. But it looks as if she's trying to make the best possible choices and I'm glad to see you appreciate that. Bless you and her GPs for being there for those kids!

I understand that this past year has been stressful for you and your fiance, however, and hope it helps to know you're not alone. Many GPs come in here who have ended up having to raise their GGC.

Like, homey, I hope you continue to post here, as well as in Grandparents Caring for Grandkids, etc. Looking forward to talking w/ you some more!

Edited by RoseRed135
privacy issue

Thank you very much for your kind words, homeygfunk and RoseRed135. Even for the test of last year, I am greatful I am getting this time with my granddaughter, I do realize how lucky I truly am, since so many grandparents are denied even visiting with there grandchildren, that breaks my heart. :(  children are not pawns, they are not "tools" to get your way, they are young "people" and their feelings are VERY real and just like ours, they just don't know how to express them, it's so sad. I went through that whole not being able to see my ODD when she was young, so I know what it feels like and swore if I ended up in that type of situation again, there would be no way I would ever stop the father or the extended grandparents from seeing the child(ren). And I am proud to say, I kept that promise to my kids. I have two children from a relationship after my ODD's father. In 17 yrs. I have actually given extra time to their father. he an I have never had a custody agreement for our youngest daughter and our son, we got him out of the system too when he was about 7, we didn't need it. I am very proud of that. Most people are so selfish, that they can't see that fighting between 2 adults is extremely detrimental to the children. and sometimes irreversible damage is done. often times these children grow up to break the law, have substance abuse problems, low self esteem, they feel like its all their fault, all these things are difficult for adults to handle, could they imagine what they are putting their children through.

sorry, on my "soap-box", anyway....I will check out "Grandparents Caring for Grandkids" today.

Hi again, amchristie42. Don't apologise for getting on your soapbox -- that is what we are here for. 

Edited by homeygfunk
to edit out name
2 people like this

Haha, I'm not used to getting to "vent" somewhere and it's "OK". thank you.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:03 AM, amchristie42 said:

Thank you very much for your kind words, homeygfunk and RoseRed135. Even for the test of last year, I am greatful I am getting this time with my granddaughter, I do realize how lucky I truly am, since so many grandparents are denied even visiting with there grandchildren, that breaks my heart. :(  children are not pawns, they are not "tools" to get your way, they are young "people" and their feelings are VERY real and just like ours, they just don't know how to express them, it's so sad. I went through that whole not being able to see my ODD when she was young, so I know what it feels like and swore if I ended up in that type of situation again, there would be no way I would ever stop the father or the extended grandparents from seeing the child(ren). And I am proud to say, I kept that promise to my kids. I have two children from a relationship after my ODD's father. In 17 yrs. I have actually given extra time to their father. he an I have never had a custody agreement for our youngest daughter and our son, we got him out of the system too when he was about 7, we didn't need it. I am very proud of that. Most people are so selfish, that they can't see that fighting between 2 adults is extremely detrimental to the children. and sometimes irreversible damage is done. often times these children grow up to break the law, have substance abuse problems, low self esteem, they feel like its all their fault, all these things are difficult for adults to handle, could they imagine what they are putting their children through.

Looks like you've been through a lot of drama in the past and yet survived! And you got through last year - No doubt. you will get past any current difficulties. The fact that you have an "attitude of gratitude" where GD is concerned is likely to help you through. Kudos to you and your fiance for being there for her! And, for that matter, to the GPs who took in GS!