• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
tedybearnana

Rosered's List of Acronyms

1 post in this topic

.LETTERS USED IN THE FRONT OF AN ACRONYM - Certain letters often have the same meaning when used in front of an acronym. Here's a sampling:

1. D - often means dear or darling - Exs: DH -dear husband, DD - darling daughter (Exception - DIL means daughter-in-law)

2. F - often means for - EXS: FTR - for the record, FWIW - for what it's worth, FYI - for your information

3. F - also often means future - Exs: FDW- future dear wife, FMIL - future mother-in-law

4. G - often means grand - Exs: GM - grandmother, GS - grandson
5. GG - often means great-grand - Exs: GGF - great-grandfather, GGD - great-granddaughter

6, L - often means laugh or laughing - Exs - LOL - laugh/laughing out loud, LMA/BO - laughing my *** or butt off (doesn't often come up in this group, but sometimes)

7. M - in front of a grandparent acronym, often means maternal - Exs: MGM, maternal grandmother, MGPs - maternal grandparents
8. M - in front of the acronym for any other relative, often means middle - Exs: MDB - middle dear brother, MDD - middle dear daughter

9. P - in front of a grandparent acronym, often means paternal - Exs: PGF - paternal grandfather, PGPs paternal grandparents

10. S - often means step - Exs: SM, stepmother, SGS - step-grandson

11. S2B or STB - soon-to-be - Exs: S2BDIL - soon-to-be daughter-in-law, STBXH - soon-to-be-ex-husband

12. X - ex - Exs: XW - ex-wife, XBIL - ex-brother-in-law

1. SAH - stay-at-home - Exs: SAHM -stay-at-home mom, SAHD - stay-at-home dad

2. WAH - work(ing) - at-home - Exs: WAHD - work(ing)-at-home dad, WAHP -work(ing)-at-home parent (refers to doing job/non-parenting work at home, even though, of course, parenting is working, too

3. WOH - working-outside-the-home Exs: WOHM - working-outside-the-home mom, WOHGP caregiver - working-outside-the-home grandparent caregiver (refers to a GP who, say, is raising their grandkids but also works outside the home)

LETTERS AT THE END OF THE ACRONYM - Sometimes the same is true for letters that come at the end of an acronym:

1. IL - means "inlaw," by itself but also after other letters - Exs: BIL - brother-in-law, DIL - daughter-in-law, MIL - mother-in-law, GMIL - grandmother-in-law

MULTIPLE DEFINITIONS - Some acronyms have more than one definition so one has to get the meaning from the context:

1. BF - best friend, boyfriend, breastfeeding

2. C - child or children - Exs: AC - adult child(ren), GC - grandchild(ren)

3. DF - dear father, dear fiance(e)

4. DS - dear sister or dear son

5. FIL - father-in-law, future-in-law

6. GF - girlfriend, grandfather

7. GP - Grandpa, grandparent

8. O - older or oldest - Exs: ODD -older/est dear daughter, ODB - older/est dear brother

9. OP - opening/original post or original poster

10. OTOH - On the one hand/On the other hand

11. PP - previous post or poster

12. SIL - sister-in-law or son-in-law

13. Y - younger or youngest - Exs: YDD - younger/est dear daughter, YGS - younger/est grandson...

Occasionally DD is used to mean "dear dad" instead of "dear daughter" and GD, "granddad," instead of "granddaughter," but not that often.

VARIATIONS - Of course, there are variations (some posters even make up a few acronyms of their own). Exs: DDIL - dear daughter-in-law, DGC - dear grandchildren ( a favorite of mine). Also, some people use "E" for "elder" or "eldest" - instead of "O" for "older/est" but, as far as I can see, that's rare.

RANDOM ACRONYMS:

BG - background

BRB - be right back

BTDT - been there, done that

BTW - by the way

ETA - edited to add

DV - divorce

FB - FaceBook (sometimes come up here)

FOO - family of origin - EXs: DH's FOO - dear husband's family of origin/side of the family; DW's FOO - dear wife's family or origin/side of the family

GAL - guardian ad litlum (children's advocate in family court)

GMAB - give me a break!

HW - homework

IDK and IDKY - I don't know and I don't know why

IME - in my experience

IMO and IMHO - in my opinion and in my humble opinion

IOWs - In other words

IRL - in real life

ITA - I totally agree

ITY and TY - I thank you and thank you

JADE - justify, argue, defend, explain - what members, on this website, often tell a poster not to do when dealing with difficult relatives or ILs.

JMO and JMHO - just my opinion and just my hunble opinionKWIM?

KWIM? - Know what I mean?

LO - little one

POV - point of view

PM - private message (used either as a nous - "I'm sending you a PM" - or a verb - "I'm going to PM you!")

RO - Restraining Order

ROFL - rolling on the floor, laughing

SO - Significant Other

TBH - To be honest

TIA - Thanks in advance!

TPR - terminating/termination of parental rights

WTG! - way to go!

YOA - years of age

3 people like this