• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Beach Person or Pool Person - Which Are You? (Question of the Week # 38)

13 posts in this topic

Where do you prefer to go on a sunny summer day? Beach or pool? And do your family members/ILs agree?

I will sit on the beach and read a book, I will walk down the beach and collect seashells or people watch, I love a moonlit walk on the beach....but do not ask me to get in the water unless it is over 100 degrees outside and I'm dipping my feet in the edge or someone is drowning. As far as getting in over my head...I'm a pool girl. I don't like lakes, ponds, rivers, oceans or anything I can't see the bottom of...unless I am on a watercraft or float of some sort. I love whitewater rafting, tubing, sailing, riding ferries, jetskiing. I just don't want to be submerged in a body of water in which things....live LOL...and in which I cannot SEE the things that live there. In a pool, I can see the bottom, I can touch the bottom. I can reach the side. And in most cases, the pool is cared for and cleaned on a regular basis.

My daughters both agree with me. The love to sit on the beach and read a book and will dip in the edge of the ocean. But give them the pool any day.

My poor DH. He is a serious ocean lover. Boogie boarding, body boarding, surfing, parasailing. He would live at the beach. Its one of the reasons we have our vacation buddies. So that he can enjoy the water with his friends while we enjoy the relaxing with ours. Admittedly, this type of vacationing was alot harder when the girls were small. I would spend my entire vacation, corraling two small girls under umbrellas, keeping them sunscreened, fed, changed, napped, and happy while he was out playing with his friends. We had a lot of "back at the condo" arguments about how unfair it was that I would have to call him ot of the ocean to get some help the first few summers after we had kids because we rarely stayed right on the beach. Then I finally told him either we booked a place right on the beach or I wasn't going anymore LOL. That way, I could just go back to the condo, put them down for their naps and *I* could relax. He could stay out and play. Made for a much better vacation. He would come back from the beach and I would leave him with the girls and go to the pool.

My inlaws love the lake, the ocean, the pool anything.  My DH loves all water....I on the other hand am like BEG, I will sit my butt on the beach with a book or follow my DD around.  It needs to be hotter than hades for me to get in the water....any water for that matter.  We live on the lake, so only when it is super hot and my DH nags me will I venture in.  And no matter how hot it is here the ocean is never warm so forget that.  Pools I will go in more likely if heated.

I love the water.....DH has taken pix of me in every single body of water we've ever been near (other than the mouth of the Mississippi...to polluted I'm afraid my toenails will fall off ). In our pix in England there I am wading in the English Channel....in the rain. The Lake Michigan pix of me with my dress hiked up....DDs & niece thought I was nuts, but pretty soon here they come with their pant legs rolled up.

I'm more of a river rat than anything, but I do love the indoor pool at the gym for race walking or laps. There are some places where I'm not about to swim....creepy things live in that water.

I like to sit on the porch near a beach.

I am a beach person.  I live near the beach and I like to paddleboard, which I can't do in a pool.  I like to take my board out into the ocean and do a work out or sometimes just lay on it and float.  I find it really relaxing.  It is an activity DH and I like to do together, or I will paddleboard with one of the kids or any friend I can convert.  I always go with a partner for safety reasons and to be honest I have a tiny bit of anxiety about being attacked by a shark.  I think the movie Jaws scarred me for life.  Lately, I've been trying to do yoga on my board, but I usually fall over. 

Such delightful posts, people! Keep 'em coming! :)

I think I prefer the beach, because I love watching the ocean!!

@ imback - No doubt watching the ocean is awesome!

@ All - When I was younger, I preferred the beach b/c it just seemed more natural. But, over the years, I grew tired of sand getting in the food and being brought back to the house (inevitably, it appeared. no matter how much we washed it off everything, etc), and so on. And so, I became more and more enamored of pools. ;)

Beach, lake, creek, river, pool....I like to do them all! Oh and waterparks. I love me some waterpark activities with my guys.

Until I was just about in HS, we really didn't know what it was like to have a pool. We lived all summer long at the creek. Bring ice chests full of food and drink and spend the whole day...day after day (of course it was only a little over a mile away from my home). Lather, rinse, repeat the next day. Park ourselves on the little sandbar and spread out our picnic area. Take turns swinging from the bank and jumping in. The whole community of kids would be there having fun. Ahhh those were the good ole days.

The summer before I got into HS, we got our pool and that's where I stayed instead. We have a pool now and I spend quite a bit of time in it. The hotter and sunnier outside the better. The more the merrier. And grilling is NOT optional on weekends by the pool, it's a must. I don't like to be a waterbug on cloudy days though.

For treats, we may take a trip to the beach and stay the day (although we haven't done that in quite awhile) or we may take a canoe, kayak, or tubing trip on the river. Matter of fact, my I had my first kayaking experience a couple of weeks ago and I'm so ready to go back again. We are even talking about going this weekend. I love, love, love tubing. One thing on my bucket list is salt water fishing. I've never been and I think I would love to try it. I like boats alot but I refuse to get on skis. Jet skis, I have done, and I really enjoyed it the few times I got on one.

About the only body of water that I will not do is a stagnant pond. Otherwise, I'm good.

1 person likes this

I live at the beach in the summer and watch the sunsets and go for long walks on the sand.  I love the soothing noise of the waves and nothing like a dip in the lake on a hot day as our water is crystal clear.  Pools require upkeep and lots of work to keep them just right.

In the winter, pools are great if they are maintained by a community and provide outdoor and indoor accessibility so each have their advantages or if you are on vacation but still enjoy beaches more on vacations also for the ambiance.

Welcome linbon! Delighted that you came in to talk with us! And such colorful writing! Love it!

If that's your active email addy in your username, however, you might want to change it for greater privacy. If so, just click on http://www.grandparents.com/profile and change your name where shown. You must sign/log out and then sign/log back in again to make sure the change takes full effect.

If you do this, immediately, it will be obvious, of course. However, generally speaking please always let a moderator or administrator know if you change your name (just click on their name and then Send a Message and go from there. Or mention it in a post.)

I'm all about staying cool, so definitely somewhere where an inviting pool awaits!