• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
WhichWayU

Easy Dinner Recipes

14 posts in this topic

*Allergen note: Slivered almonds are a tree nut

RIGATONI with CROUTON CRUMBS, ALMONDS and ROASTED RED PEPPERS

- 1 box RIGATONI pasta

- 1 small bag slivered ALMONDS (baking aisle)

- 1 bag or box of "garlic and herb" flavor CROUTONS

- 1 jar Roasted Red PEPPERS

- 1/2 cup, about, of sweet Extra Virgin OLIVE OIL

Stove:

Boil water and add box of Rigatoni. Boil from 10 to 13 minutes (box directions). 

Lightly toast the slivered almonds in a dry pan on the stove on low for a few minutes (stir a few times to keep even).

Food processer:

Put in the bag of croutons and add the toasted almonds. 

"Chop" for a few seconds a few times.  You want some chunks left.

Countertop:

Slice the jarred roasted red peppers into small-ish bite-size pieces.

Dump the breadcrumb-almond mixture into a Large Mixing Bowl first.

Add the cooked and drained pasta and mix.

Drizzle the olive oil on top and mix some more.  Add more EVOO if needed.

Add the chopped roasted red peppers on top and toss.

SIMPLE and Delicious hot off the stove, room temperature later, or re-heated the next day.

EASY to keep ingredients on hand because they're all pantry, not refrigerated.

This is a recipe I got from an old TV show but it was so long ago I don't remember which one.

Interesting

Mame, I wish I could open your recipes I bet they are delicious.

It is perfectly OK to post recipes you have tried or a link to another website.

Here you go, Sue. I opened with microsoft and copy and paste.

Mame, I wish I could open your recipes I bet they are delicious.

It is perfectly OK to post recipes you have tried or a link to another website.

Mame925's recipe: Chile Rellano Casserole

(serves eight)

2-7oz cans chopped green chiles (like Ortega)

3/4lb shredded jack cheese (about 2-1/2 cups)

1/4lb  shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)

2 cups flour

1 cup  milk

1 tsp  salt

4 eggs (beaten)

1 cup  salsa

Directions:

Mix flour, milk, salt and eggs together thoroughly.  Add cheese and chiles.  Pour into greased 9x13” pan.  Top with salsa.  Bake 45-60 minutes in a 350 oven or until lightly brown and knife inserted just off center comes out clean.

Mame925's recipe: Caesar Salad

1 approximately one pound head romaine lettuce (or 3 hearts), washed, drained and torn into bite size pieces

2 tablespoons mayonnaise (for vegan option use silken tofu)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon anchovy paste (in the tuna section of the market; omit for vegan, fish/seafood allergies)

¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard

2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced

¼ teaspoon freshly grated black pepper

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the green can)

Freshly ground black pepper

Kosher salt

1-2 cup croutons (fresh or boxed), optional

Put prepared lettuce in a large bowl.  In a small mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce and ¼ teaspoon pepper until well blended.  Whisk in olive oil.  Pour over lettuce and toss well. 

Season to taste with salt (which you probably won’t need) and additional pepper. 

Add croutons and sprinkle with cheese.  

Add grilled chicken breast or grilled shrimp for a completel meal. 

For Mexican Caesar add a small tomato finely diced, 3 finely sliced green onion including 2in of top, ½ small cucumber finely diced an avocado, medium diced along with a handful of fresh cilantro, stems removed.

(Serves 6-8 as a salad course.  If using the chicken or shrimp, serves 2 generously)

Those look yummy.

Thanks NonniKay....

Once again, you ladies are making me hungry in the wee hours of the morning! Guess I'll have an early breakfast! :)

The chile rellano casserole makes a killer breakfast/brunch dish; serve with tropical fruit and warm tortillas

I bought cheese today to make that casserole.

I used to have to host lots of luncheons, coffees, teas and brunches. I like the cheese casserole recipe and have used it many times. You can also add 8 more eggs (beaten) and leave off the salsa. It's fluffier and yet more substantial. When there are no vegetarians in sight I have added ham, with great result. I also use pepper jack instead of plain jack. Great with Canadian bacon or ham on the side as well. Now I get to invite only those I love love, no more O-wifey stuff! :)

We made pesto and used it on fresh white fish (a man fishes out front from the rocks, he calls it white fish). I used a cup of pesto, mixed it with squeezed lemons and broth, to taste, and doused the fish before grilling. I cooked up some cannellini with shallots and broth in my crock pot. Then drained until still damp and stirred in pesto at serving. Mixed pesto into dressing for greens and tomato salad. Made cornbread and mixed pesto in before baking. :) Basil night. Made hm ice cream with lemons and basil infused cream. No vegans or sugarfree family were here for Sunday dinner.

@Cerkenzen - Welcome! Glad you decided to join us!

However, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum. This thread is very old. As such, I'm going to lock it until the Lead Moderator of this forum has a chance to look at it and see if she wants to leave it open. If you look around, I'm sure you can find more recent threads to post in.

Since this thread was started by an inactive member many years ago, I am going to leave it locked and open a new thread with a sticky for anyone interested to contribute t

@Cerkenzen and other new members, feel free to contribute

1 person likes this