• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
homeygfunk

Thanksgiving meal

27 posts in this topic

Has anyone planned their TG meal yet?

1 person likes this

I'm not single, am going to my sister's for TXG so don't have to plan the actual meal....but I'm in charge of dessert.

Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Boston Creme

Lemon Meringue Pie

1 person likes this

I love pecan pie. Save me a slice.

homey, I posted the Pecan Pie recipe in the Holiday Baking thread in "Grandma's Pantry"....enjoy

1 person likes this

thanks

Yes, and it sounds really yummy, Mame!

As for us, we'll be going to ODD's and SIL's, as we have for most of the last several years. So I don't really have to think about the cooking - SIL does most of that. Usually, I contribute a desert or an hors d'hoevre (spelling?). But I'm not sure what I'll bring this year, as yet.

But now I am.... Bringing two trays of crackers and cheese, one w/ slices of ham and the other w/ slices of pepperoni. Now and then, ODD and SIL get so focused on the TG meal, itself, that they forget about such appetizers. And since SIL is almost never quite finished when we get there (even if we're a little bit late), I figure it's a good contribution. :)

ETA: Yup, they forgot again! And dinner wasn't quite ready, so those trays came in handy!

As for the dinner, itself, it was dee-licious, as always!

bump

This year, we're all invited to SIL's FOO's T'giving (when I say "all," I mean ODD and SIL, of course, as well as YDD, DGD, DGS, DH and me). They are warm, friendly people so I'm looking forward to it.

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks homey! You too!

BTW, homey, do you have any plans, as yet?

I will be going to my daughter's house for dinner.

That's lovely. Are DS and family going to be there, too?

No. He has 5 kids to deal with so he usually does not travel for holidays. I may stop in at his house to see the grands.

Sounds good, homey.

bump

Homey you made me laugh. I couldn't understand why you only commented "bump" When I figured it out I laughed. So for TxG 2016 we will probably do the usual when I am in town. I like cooking a traditional dinner of Turkey, cornbread dressing, potatoes, my husbands unusual but Yummy green bean casserole and other misc vegies. Sometimes I throw in some home-made mac & cheese for the grand kids (and adults too) Our family loves cheese cake so I usually make one of those and pumpkin pie. ODD & SIL with their 3 kids are going to his families for TxG so it will be a small group this year with YDD & SIL with their 4 kids unless I find others to invite.  

After a nice dinner at home we will be headed out of town to spend some time with DH's family. 

Hope everyone has the best holiday possible. It is what you make of it so make it great!

1 person likes this

Enjoy your holiday.

1 person likes this

me and my youngest son (still lives at home) decided since his brother changed everything for this holiday that we will go out on the town for Thanksgiving. All my life I cook a big meal and my whole family comes here, I am lost and trying to deal with the cards I have been dealt. Does anyone know of a great place to eat for Thanksgiving?

Welcome, Gran2Dausha.

I have never eaten out for Thanksgiving so I don't know any places that I could recommend. Hopefully someone will come in and suggest somewhere for you.

Edited by homeygfunk
to add a thought

I'm sorry to hear this Thanksgiving will not be what you planned. I hope you and your son find a good option and have a wonderful day together.

I think it all depending on where you live. Some restaurants here advertise they will be open on Thanksgiving Day, if you don't normally get your local paper, pick one up and check in there. You could call a few of your favorite places and ask if they will be open. Hotel restaurants will be open. Or google "restaurants open Thanksgiving Day 2016 YourCity".

Another option would be to order a prepared Thanksgiving meal to be picked up on Wednesday - there are a lot of restaurants and grocery stores here that do this for a very reasonable price. You can select just the number of servings you need & they have all of the fixings.

1 person likes this

@Gran2Dausha  - I'm sorry, also, that  Thanksgiving will not be as you would like. But I hope you and DS (dear son) find a good restaurant and enjoy your meal. It's probably a good idea to make reservations ahead of time. I know you're feeling frustrated and unhappy about this, but perhaps it will be good, in a way, not to have to cook/prepare.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

I am sorry you feel all adrift about the upcoming holiday.

One year neither of our AC nor families could make it for Thanksgiving and we went to a local "all you can eat"...they had all the standard holiday dishes plus bar-b-q.  We enjoyed ourselves and no cleanup (also no leftovers).  Last year we woke up to no electricity and I have an electric stove...so I had to call the guest and renege on my invitation.  I felt horrible, but there was no heat either.  This left DS and family having to eat out in their city.  DIL said it was very nice. I was able to cook my "lunch" mid afternoon since the turkey was thawed. 

Go out and enjoy.  Maybe drop into a store that is open after lunch and start a new tradition for you and your son.

1 person likes this

These are all great ideas. I hope things get better for you before the holidays get here, Gran2Dausha.