• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Custodial Issues 4: Half Parent/Half Grandparent Or...??

9 posts in this topic

If you're raising your GC/relative child(ren), how do you define yourself - as ""grandparent," "parent" or a little of both? And how does/do your GC view you? The parents?

Edited by RoseRed135

Or more generally speaking, do you see a custodial GP as more parent, GP or a combination?

She calls me "mom" - unless I ignore her (to annoy her ;) ), then sometimes she'll go "NANA!"

She probably started it cause my boys called me that, but she does know the difference - and chooses what to use (makes no difference to me).

We have partial custody of our GS but we are known as GRParents, he calls us Grandmom and Pop Pop. My DD is deceased and I would never in a million yrs have him call me Mom, I have taken her place as much as I can in raising him, teaching him, and undoing all the bad the Dad (and I use the term Dad loosly) does.

That being said, I am still Grandmom and always will be, and hopefully someday he will always remember me as the Grandmom that helped him get thru life w/out his Mom and w/his crappy so called Dad.

1 person likes this

You ladies have brought up another aspect of this issue, that of what the child or children call you. And you've come up w/ 2 very different responses though, IMO, that may be partly b/c you're dealing w/ different situations.

@ All - Anyone else want to share whether they feel more like a parent or a GP? Or if their GC call them by a parent name? Even if you've addressed these issues in older threads, please feel free to join in this conversation, as well.

Also, if you'd like, if the parents are at all in the picture, do you think they have the same view of this as you do or a different one?

Bringing this topic back to the front. If you've commented in here before, please feel free to tell us about any changes that have occurred since then and/or share any new thoughts and feelings on the topic. If you're a GRG (grandparent raising grandchild/ren) who hasn't posted in here before, please feel free to do so now. Same if you're raising any other relative kids or know someone who is.

Edited by RoseRed135

I have been named Mommy and I feel like my GD's mommy.  Definitely have been robbed of the GP role with this little one.  Also, it's affected my GP role with the other Grand's that live with their parents, as there just isn't the same amount of time left to play that role.  Make me sad, but what else can you do?

8 hours ago, BabaKnits said:

I have been named Mommy and I feel like my GD's mommy.  Definitely have been robbed of the GP role with this little one.  Also, it's affected my GP role with the other Grand's that live with their parents, as there just isn't the same amount of time left to play that role.  Make me sad, but what else can you do?

I hear you!