• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Your Health in Winter

28 posts in this topic

Brrr! It's cold! At least where I live. Time to start thinking about winter. Do you find you protect your health more in winter, in the effort to avoid colds and flu etc? Or that you take lesser care of yourself b/c you're more likely to eat warm comfort foods and partake of  such drinks as hot chocolate? Or ??

And, if you will, do you find yourself increasing, decreasing or maintaining exercise schedules and other health routines?

It's not purposeful exercise, but I work a seasonal job and wind up walking 3-4 miles a shift... and I work 3-5 days/week.   Last year I lost about 15-20 lbs during the "season" and I was able to keep it off.  So far I'm down another 7-ish lbs since the season started. 

I just wish I could convince myself that if  I can be on my feet and walking for 4 hours/night for the job, then I could really spend an hour doing SOME kind of exercise the rest of the year!

I make my own hot chocolate using skim milk, cocoa and sugar substitute to taste, so it's not full of sugar (of course many people think that the sugar substitute is just as bad, if not worse for you).  Sometimes I add some cinnamon or almond extract.   Other times I add some cornstarch so instead of hot chocolate it becomes pudding.

Mmmm... that hot chocolate sounds good, Beth! Think I'm going to make myself a cup, right now.

Meanwhile, how great that your job actually helps you get exercise - and lose the weight you'd like to drop! As for "the rest of the year," perhaps walking could still help? Any places where you would enjoy taking a long walk, during other times of year?

Wow !!   Getting older is hard. In  my younger years I spent most of my time doing outdoor stuff having fun winter and summer . DH now has some mobility issues  I have still found time to walk around the block in cold weather. I try to sled, snow shoe, ice skate, and snowboard,

Most of the time I am with friends or DGD  when I am sledding or trying snowboarding,

I live in a climate where it is cold from Nov till mid March, but I could not live anywhere else.

There is always hot chocolate  involved  stew or a chilli  most likley,

Speaking of Chili - the shopping club I belong to (BJ's ... like Costco or Sam's Club) stopped carrying their 3 lbs 93% lean ground beef.   When I asked about it, they said it was a summer only product.... WHAT????

Sure, in the summer it's for burgers, but this time of year it's for Chili.     I guess I'll use the 93% lean ground turkey instead.   Same calories etc, maybe a little better for you.

I don't vary my routine a great deal from summer to winter.  It's true I eat less in summer (when I live on sandwiches and salads, and almost never cook), but that's because it's "too hot to eat"--I just don't have as much appetite.  But I eat the same amount of meals (one or two a day).  I don't smoke or drink.  And at least three days out of the seven, I walk two miles to the public library and two miles back to use the free WiFi.

As for flu shots, they're a waste of my time and money (quite apart from the fact that I'm terrified of needles--now that we basically have the Star Trek communicator, i.e. the cell phone, when is someone going to practicalize the air-hypo?!).  The only people who need a flu shot are the ones with compromised immune systems (mine is very sturdy) or chronic conditions (the only one I have is osteoarthritis, which yells at me about once a year), the ones who have regular contact with kids under 12 (who are constantly getting the Bug of the Week and merrily passing it on), and the ones who work in cube-farms where people come to work when they're sick as dogs because they're afraid of being fired if they don't, work in retail where they have people breathing in their faces all the time, or work in medicine.  None of these things is true of me.

@ chrijeff - Welcome! Glad you decided to come in and talk w/ us! Sounds like you have some very definite ideas about health and are doing well w/ them!

Meanwhile if that's your active email addy in your username, you may want to change it for greater privacy. If so,  just click on http://www.grandparents.com/profile and change your name where shown. You must sign/log out and then sign/log back in again to make sure the change takes full effect.

If you do this, immediately, it will be obvious, of course. However, generally speaking please always let a moderator or administrator know if you change your name (just click on their name and then Send a Message and go from there. Or mention it in a post.) Thank you. :)

(Note: You are permitted to make 3 display name changes in a 30 day period)

Thought I'd bring this thread back up for obvious reasons...

This is information that came across my desk a few years go during the H1N1 outbreak. There are many (like me!) who do not do flu shots. These suggestions are amazingly helpful in keeping the cooties under control.

Cootie Control

Even if you already have symptoms, do all the things on this list anyway. It will help to relieve symptoms and help you not get sick in the future:

Here's some information to help keep the germs from getting passed around the rest of the family, school or jobsite. The data was compiled for the H1N1 epidemic a few years ago, but applies to all respiratory infections.

**The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with respiratory viruses in spite of all precautions. Contact with these viruses is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of viral infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced.

1. Frequent hand-washing. Use plain soap and water, use hand sanitizers only in a pinch as they kill off healthy bacteria. And always wash your hands after wiping the kids' noses or changing diapers.

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe). If your hands are contaminated and you touch your face, there is a huge risk of transporting the cooties to your mouth or nose.

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). *Viruses take 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities, the Neti pots are available at the drug store, as are sinus rinses), but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

7. And I tell my students this all the time...If you are sick, keeps your hands to yourself. Don't touch anyone's stuff. Open doors with your elbow or use a tissue, towel or your shirt tail. Clear your own dishes from the table. Make sure community surfaces are wiped down frequently 

1 person likes this

And here I let the hospital give me a flu shot when I went in for the appendectomy! 

I caught the H1N1 when it went around. I hadn't had a fever of 102F in years, ugh it was awful. Right before thanksgiving that year, too. Then DH caught it worse than I had it. 

So, that's my concession to my health this year. 

@TaxiMomma -  How awful about H1N1 - and just before T'giving!

Sorry you had to have an appendectomy, also. Hope you're doing ok. :give_rose:

Glad you started this thread. My health could be a lot better. I have realized that I have been so focused on work, taking care of grandkids as often as possible, volunteering and who knows what else, that I have neglected to keep up on staying healthy through this winter.  I know I need to find a better balance.  I  just took the first step in calling to find out about fitness classes nearby. 

Welcome back, Indigo! Hope we see you more often! Sorry about your health issues, but glad you're beginning to turn that around. Good luck w/ those fitness classes!

I had a student in the library with me on Friday who had a horrible cold. Every time he blew his nose I had him use hand sanitizer....then handed him a box of Clorox wipes to wipe down every surface he touched! He was really cooperative, bless his heart....I'm hard on all my kids about this.

It must be hard on/extra work for you, too, Mame!

My student demographic lacks the early training. Most of them are now juniors & seniors, so will "launch" soon. They need a crash course in life skills....

My son got into gymnastics at the age of 6. Kids there are extremely competitive, as much as parents. So I decided to try it too. I bought  inexpensive gymwear and started. And guess what? Winter passed by so fast and now my body looks better and I feel better too

Edited by Mame925
removed link to commercial site

Teas, vitamins and thick socks are very important to me. Usually I try to go to the gym two times per week and do some cardio, maybe even some light weight-lifting. I usually get accompanied by my wife, so it's a lot of fun. We do take the car to the gym though, since we do not like showering there and we want to avoid being in the cold after a tiring workout.

Yikes for the hot weather.

I went in to the Hosp. in July with a cough and a slight fever. I have COPD and asthma so I wasn't worried but just couldn't  kick the cough.

OK, you have pneumonia they say, not a real big surprise. I kept asking when I could go home?  Two days later I have pluriesy  (sp), please explain.

Now we're into day 3 and I'm still asking WHEN  can I go Home.? Mrs C. your very sick and the antibiotics aren't  working yet, and now I'm so sick I'm crying every night. Coughing, can't breath, everything on my right side is killing me. Oxygen, nebulizers, all  sorts of meds to help me breath.  

Day 4, Mrs C. your have MRSA, W H A T ? IN MY LUNGS NO LESS, YOUR X-RAYS ARE WORSE. I didn't know it went into your lungs.

Now the new wonder antibiotic, WHICH IS very strong THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE WAIT TO BE SURE YOU HAVE MRSA TO GIVE YOU THE DRUG.

The wonder drug was too hi, too low, always something, and now my crotch itched, I thought it was 3x's it's size, I had a migrane  and a headache almost every morning.

NOW finally praise the LORD they removed in lay men's terms 3 cups of fluid from my lung. So now the lung is empty some what, and the pluriesy is pounding on my side. Cried again. I spent 2 weeks in the Hospital, don't know how I got it,  now I'm scared to death to leave the house. I have sani-wipes in  all the vehicles, but I'm still scared to go out.

Dr. friend said I'm lucky to be alive because with my COPD and asthma the pneumonia usually kills a lot of seniors before the MRSA is started to be treated. The breathing just gets so bad. BUT here  I' am telling you my story lucky and happy to be alive. I just had an x-ray today to see how my lung is, BUT I'm VERY TIRED all the time.

So wash, wash wash the hands WHEN EVER, WHERE EVER YOU CAN.

Seems  BUGS summer can creep up on us also.

Since we are approaching cold & flu season & godsgifts mentioned the hand washing....this one bears repeating:

The info below came to me during a discussion of whether or not to get a flu shot....its strictly personal choice, I won't get one, but won't criticize those who do.

Do all the things on this list to keep the cooties away; and if you are sick, do them to help relieve your symptoms. DH did this unintentionally for years and even during the worst of his multiple rounds of chemo and 6 surgeries over 10 years, he only had two colds (one in Scotland (new strains of cooties), and one shortly after his 2nd knee surgery when his resistance was down and grandkids (members of the cootie transport team) had been around.

Here's some information to help keep the germs from getting passed around . The data is compiled for H1N1, but applies to all respiratory infections.

**The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as *proliferation* is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu) If you get sick anyway these tips will help minimize your discomfort:

1. Frequent hand-washing. Use plain soap and water, use hand sanitizers only in a pinch as they kill off healthy bacteria. And always wash your hands after wiping the kids' noses, changing diapers or any other personal hygiene chore.

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe). If your hands are contaminated and you touch your face, there is a huge risk of transporting the cooties to your mouth or nose.

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities, the Neti pots are available at the drug store), but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

7. Wipe down community areas with antibacterial/germicidal wipes (or alcohol in a pinch); people who are sick and at work anyway will need to not touch others' phone, keyboards, etc and wipe down their own stuff frequently and others' stuff if they use it anyway. 

I wipe the carts at the grocery stores , all stores. I did one and it was most black.  It made me think of all THE GERMS on that one cart.

I just got the cloth wipes then I can wipe my steering wheel when I get in the car. I'm almost afraid to even go out, not knowing where I picked up the MRSA.

It's almost 3 months and my X-Ray yesterday was better than the last one, but I'm NOT BETTER. yup, wash, wash, wash, long recovery, but lucky to be alive.

Some what afraid of Winter,  I can't get the flu shot, had 2 pneumonia shots before I got sick and still got sick. ??

23 hours ago, godsgifts said:

Yikes for the hot weather.

I went in to the Hosp. in July with a cough and a slight fever. I have COPD and asthma so I wasn't worried but just couldn't  kick the cough.

OK, you have pneumonia they say, not a real big surprise. I kept asking when I could go home?  Two days later I have pluriesy  (sp), please explain.

Now we're into day 3 and I'm still asking WHEN  can I go Home.? Mrs C. your very sick and the antibiotics aren't  working yet, and now I'm so sick I'm crying every night. Coughing, can't breath, everything on my right side is killing me. Oxygen, nebulizers, all  sorts of meds to help me breath.  

Day 4, Mrs C. your have MRSA, W H A T ? IN MY LUNGS NO LESS, YOUR X-RAYS ARE WORSE. I didn't know it went into your lungs.

Now the new wonder antibiotic, WHICH IS very strong THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE WAIT TO BE SURE YOU HAVE MRSA TO GIVE YOU THE DRUG.

The wonder drug was too hi, too low, always something, and now my crotch itched, I thought it was 3x's it's size, I had a migrane  and a headache almost every morning.

NOW finally praise the LORD they removed in lay men's terms 3 cups of fluid from my lung. So now the lung is empty some what, and the pluriesy is pounding on my side. Cried again. I spent 2 weeks in the Hospital, don't know how I got it,  now I'm scared to death to leave the house. I have sani-wipes in  all the vehicles, but I'm still scared to go out.

Dr. friend said I'm lucky to be alive because with my COPD and asthma the pneumonia usually kills a lot of seniors before the MRSA is started to be treated. The breathing just gets so bad. BUT here  I' am telling you my story lucky and happy to be alive. I just had an x-ray today to see how my lung is, BUT I'm VERY TIRED all the time.

So wash, wash wash the hands WHEN EVER, WHERE EVER YOU CAN.

Seems  BUGS summer can creep up on us also.

Oh my goodness! What an ordeal. And you are very fortunate, and so are we to still have you here! Ugh! My goodness ..

Something else you can do at the grocery store is to take the plastic produce bags provided in the produce section and place them over the handle of the cart. Another option is to pull the cart along from the side or the front.

1 person likes this

Komorebi ,

Thank you,  I didn't think about the plastic bags, that's an every more added protection.

Winter is very sensitive season, one must take special care of yourself. Mostly in winter season, skin becomes very dry. Due to dry skin, various problem can arise like irritation of skin and fine line can appear on the skin. Any many more problems like joint pains, so take special care.