• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
homeygfunk

Valentine's Day

20 posts in this topic

Are there any plans for this holiday yet?

Nothing here yet though we usually keep it simple. And this year, we're suddenly, getting a lot of snow - "all" the snow we didn't get in January! So we're sort of taking things day by day as far as any plans are concerned. :)

bump

No Valentine plans but this is my grandson's birthday so there will be a party to go to.

Have fun, homey! And Happy Birthday in advance to your GS!

As for me, no plans, either. But I know DH will get me a box of chocolates or something else lovely (he always does) and maybe we'll order in a special meal.

I just buy my own chocolate anymore.

3 people like this

@homeygfunk - Good for you! :db:

bump

Grrrr...rant....sent DS and DGS home with a chocolate heart for DGS and home made pink marshmallow hearts for DS, DIL and DGS. Just got an email thanking me for the goodies but "you do understand that DIL cannot eat them they are made with an animal product." She has very recently become a vegetarian. No I did not know the ingredients in marshmallows. How about a simple "thank you"? Comments please.

home made pink marshmallow hearts for DS, DIL and DGS......No I did not know the ingredients in marshmallows.

Did you make the hearts are buy them from someone else?

Personally, I'd have just let hubby say thanks.

ETA:  Gelatin is a mixture of peptides and proteins produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, pigs, and fish.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

I made them. I was irritated that DS felt the need to tell me this. Like I   said, would a simple thank you not have been sufficient?s. It's been forever since I've done anything close to baking. It may be another forever lol!

I'd be irritated too. Especially since the treats really weren't for her. Vegetarians often consume animal by products. Vegans are strictly NO animal products whatsoever, including honey.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, annierobyn said:

Grrrr...rant....sent DS and DGS home with a chocolate heart for DGS and home made pink marshmallow hearts for DS, DIL and DGS. Just got an email thanking me for the goodies but "you do understand that DIL cannot eat them they are made with an animal product." She has very recently become a vegetarian. No I did not know the ingredients in marshmallows. How about a simple "thank you"? Comments please.

He said thank you- :) And I'm sure they were appreciated- 

I know that looking at a box of Knox gelatine one wouldn't even assume that it contains animal products- But I personally would rather be made aware of my oversight than to go ahead and make them again and not have my SIL say not be able to enjoy the gift I gave him- You know what I mean?

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I'd be irritated too. Especially since the treats really weren't for her. Vegetarians often consume animal by products. Vegans are strictly NO animal products whatsoever, including honey.

They were for her too- :)

1 person likes this

Yeah, he could have just said "Thank you." That's what I would have done. Maybe at some later date, I'd let people know that my spouse no longer eats anything w/ animal products in it.

But, at least, as Komo says, now you know not to make them for her again. In fact, you might want to ask DS what treats she can eat. Then in the future, if you want to make the marshmallows, you can make them just for DS and DGS and give DIL something else. Or just give a treat to DGS from now on. It's not as if you're "required" to give any of them anything for Val Day.

As for DH and me, we'll probably order in a good meal and watch a good DVD (haven't decided what yet).  No doubt, he'll get chocolates for me - and a box for the granddolls, as well (or 2 small boxes, one for each), as usual. :)

2 people like this

On 2/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, annierobyn said:

I was irritated that DS felt the need to tell me this. Like I   said, would a simple thank you not have been sufficient?s.

That's an interesting perspective; I'll bet that's what the people who irritate me are thinking.  I, however, would prefer a polite "I'm sorry; gelatin is an animal product." (Or, I really apreciate the thought, but green is a nauseating colour on me" or whatever...people who rave about every gift annoy me because how can I get better at choosing gifts without feedback? :unknw:

Isn't it cool how different we all are? 

Edited by GrandmaMisti
typo
2 people like this

GrandmaMisti - I guess it's all in the delivery! If he had said "thanks but gelatin is an animal product" I would have been ok with that. His email to me was "you do know that D cannot eat marshmallows because they are made with meat product?" Well obviously I didn't lol.. Your way is much softer in my opinion!

1 person likes this

Welcome GrandmaMisti. I see you have posted in several groups. I hope you enjoy this forum.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:50 PM, annierobyn said:

Sorry you are dealing with this. Hopefully you will find some advice here.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, annierobyn said:

GrandmaMisti - I guess it's all in the delivery! If he had said "thanks but gelatin is an animal product" I would have been ok with that. His email to me was "you do know that D cannot eat marshmallows because they are made with meat product?" Well obviously I didn't lol.. Your way is much softer in my opinion!

Yes, true - but I have had six decades to learn tact. :P

6 minutes ago, homeygfunk said:

Welcome GrandmaMisti. I see you have posted in several groups. I hope you enjoy this forum.

Thank you, Homeygfun. :)  I am enjoying the forum.

2 people like this