• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Have You Changed Your Lifestyle?

12 posts in this topic

Have you made any changes in your life in the effort to be healthier? Do you, for example, buy different foods than you used to? Eat at different restaurants? Make more time in your schedule for exercise? Or ??

I recently started getting back on the treadmill.

Yes. I recently joined on bodybuilding.com and started one of their workout plans (Lee Labrada's lean in 12 weeks). The hubby is doing it with me. I'm also incorporating 30 minutes of hiit (treadmill) a few times a week and trying not to sit around as much. We've also incorporated clean eating, so no processed foods. Gonna have a cheat day after this twelve weeks is up, then back at it. I'm down like 24 pounds since November, so that's awesome. And in all honesty, the thing that helps me stick with it the most, is meal prep. It is so easy to just cook all your meals (except for breakfast) at one time and just throw them in the microwave when you need it. Some people do their breakfast too, but I prefer mine fresh.

2 people like this

Sounds good, ladies! PM, I think it's cool that you are so into a healthier lifestyle on all levels!

@ All - Anyone else?

DH and I joined Weight Watchers over one year ago and it has been a real lifestyle change for us :) Paying attention to portions, realizing we were eating way too much way too often has really helped our health. We have both lost weight, but more importantly we both feel better overall. We have taken up walking together (weather permitting) when we can and we each will walk on our own.  This lifestyle is one we both hope to keep up with for the rest of our lives.

2 people like this

My husband and I both had a jarring diagnosis in the last 5 years or so. Different body systems, but equally scary. They demanded immediate changes.

I only eat fried foods on vacations. He has been caught with a french fry or two, here or there.

I omited most of the processed foods from my diet with the exception of whole grain breads/cereals. He follows at home, at work only he knows.

I added fresh fish to my diet 2x a week, minimum. Red meat 1x a week, maximum. He cut his serving sizes and skips the fish.

I have yogurt (no aspartame or the lactobacillus won't work) w/flax seed, raw almonds and fresh fruit for breakfast M-F. Weekends are bacon/sausage, eggs, toast/waffles, and fruit w/the fam (Life is to be enjoyed, as well.). I think he skips the commute biscuit in favor of a egg white muffin, but again, only he knows.

I have a significant spinach/leaf lettuce/veggie salad with lunch and dinner everyday. The protein component is the smallest serving. He seems to be enjoying this as well, even if he adds a mound of shredded cheese to his.

I only use olive oil for cooking. I replaced our reg mayo with olive oil mayo. He has not noticed.

And finally, I take an evening walk with my husband 3-5 times a week. No phones allowed. We hike often on weekends as well.

So far it has paid off. Both pain free, symptom free and med free. There have been other fun benefits of our trimmer waistlines and higher energy levels, but I hesitate to discuss them here. :angel:  :rofl:

1 person likes this

So sorry to hear of your and DH's (dear husband's) health scares RTT. But glad this inspired you to change some habits and that you're both doing better now. I bet those evening walks are good for the relationship, too! :)

How to convince my grandfather

Hi all,

I am not able to start a new thread in this discussion forum, but I want to get some suggestions urgently so I'm starting my discussion here. Sorry for the trouble. Here is my problem:

My grandfather is suffering from severe back pain and he had tried almost all kind of medication to get rid of it. But of no use. So his doctor suggested him to consult an expert physiotherapist for alternative therapy treatment along with the normal medication. So we decided to seek the help from Dynamic physiotherapy clinic in Burlington. But the strange thing is that my grandfather is afraid of physiotherapy. He is saying that the therapy treatments are so painful. I really don’t know how to convince him. Does anybody have any suggestions to solve this problem? Please help me.

After DH's hip replacement the therapist came to the house....the therapy was brutal. DH, being DH figured he'd just muscle through it like he had everything else. So, he's literally crying through the session because it hurt so bad....the PT asked him when he'd last taken his pain meds.....lesson learned.

Take your pain meds 20-30 minutes before the start of your session. Still grueling, but far less pain. His final results were wonderful because he did all the work.

Hope grandpa will cooperate. Maybe he can have a pre-therapy conversation to discuss his fears with the therapist.

Welcome new member!

And how loving of you to be concerned about your GF (grandfather). Like Mame, I hope your GF will decide to cooperate. Especially given her helpful advice.

Also, I've sent you a PM (private/personal message). To find it, just click on the Messenger button w/ the envelope on it in the upper right corner of this page. Thank you. :)

Meanwhile if that's your active email addy in your username, I  suggest that you read or reread GP.com's "Please Read BEFORE Posting," especially the section entitled, "Safeguard Your Account": http://community.gra...ng/#entry214077

Then, if you want to change your name for greater privacy,  just click on http://www.grandparents.com/profile, then Edit Profile and go from there. You must sign/log out and then sign/log back in again to make sure the change takes full effect. Please be advised that once your post or reply has been quoted, we cannot change the username in the quote even if it is your email address. Therefore, we recommend changing your username before you start a new thread or reply to another user’s topic.

If you do this, immediately, it will be obvious, of course. However, generally speaking please always let a moderator or administrator know if you change your name (just click on their name and then Send a Message and go from there. Or mention it in a post.) Thank you.

(Note: You are permitted to make 3 display name changes in a 30 day period)

Yeah, we are planning for a pre-therapy conversation with the help of our doctor. Thank you for your tips :)

2 people like this

My life has changed in many ways.