• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
LatoyaADMIN

What is your current hobby?

35 posts in this topic

How did you get started? If you make products, do you sell them or just create them for you/family to enjoy?

I enjoy crocheting in the wintertime, and gardening in the summertime.

After hubby and I got married 40 years ago, his surrogate Grandmother taught me to crochet.  I really enjoy making throws which are just too hot to work on in the summer.  I've never sold any, but my DIL has asked for several of my finished projects and I am more than glad to share.

3 people like this

I have a few hobbies, but one of my main ones is genealogy or rather, family history. In fact, as some people here may remember, a few years ago, I put together two books, one for each of my DDs, with info about members of both DH's FOO and mine, as well as several stories that were handed down to us. My interest in this has ebbed and flowed, over the years, beginning w/ the delightful stories my MGM used to tell me of her childhood. Now I can not only tell my DGC about mine but answer more of their questions about other relatives. :)

3 people like this

I love to knit, crochet, garden and read.  Just don't have enough time to do it all  :)

1 person likes this

My hobbies are genealogy, gardening, and canning. I recently made a batch of fermented pickles (like teh Bubbies brand). I also study about alternative therapies and remedies.

1 person likes this

I'm new to this forum and, honestly, want to complete my 10 response requirement so I can post a new topic elswhere. That being said I have many important hobbies that I have nurtured and are sharing with my GranKittens. Foremost I am an artist (educated and trained) that used his creativity in his classroom (middle school) to good effect. I love photography and have since I assumed control of the family still camera in the 4th grade (I'm now in my mid-60s) and still am an avid photographer. Recently, I have developed (no pun intended) an interest photographing dragonflies and Damsleflies. I have shared this love with my children and my daughter's children. My Granson has used my digital SLR since he was 3!

DSCF56412-vi.jpg

I also paint in watercolors and find it challenging as I see colors in photography differently as compared to watercolors. I'm interested in rendering only a small part of the human face from the eyebrow to the bottom of the nose. This was a focal point of my acrylic pating when in university and picked up the topic area when I re-started painting last year. I plan to try oils soon as I love plien aire subject matter and have the beautiful Sonoma hills with their stately oaks as my subject matter. I want to paint like the California plien aire artists of the 20s and early 30s.

DSCF04182-vi.jpg

As the educator that loved history and made it come alive within my classroom I now mostly research and read the topics that interest me. After visiting Turkey a few years back I became passionate about the Byzantine Empire. While there I hade the chance to visit one of my favorite topic areas and that was Troy! I was in 7th Heaven walking the ground that the Bronze Age heroes walked. My favorite culture is Egypt during the time of Pharaoh Tutankhamun. I wish thing would calm don in Egypt so I could visit the Valley of the Kings. But, alas...

BeforethewallsofTroyasVIb-vi.jpg

My claim to fame with my GranKittens is model building. I have built plastic models since I sat at the dining room table with my Mom back in the early 50s. I have built models for nearly 60 years now and it is the favorite thing to do when the GranKittens visit me. They love it and I sit between them both as I assist and demonstrate how to handle tools and use glue. It will be the one thing they will remember fondly of when I am gone. Myself, I have become an award winning builder of Formula One racing cars of the 1960s. I enjoy researching (an extention of my historical researching!) particular cars and/or drivers and replicating then in 1/24 scale (about 6" long). I still build an occasional airplane or ship, too!

photo-vi.jpg

Thanks for reading about my interests (there are many more as I chose to be a life long learner!). I love F1 racing and have been a Ferraristi for 51 years now. I don't care for sports much, but do enjoy a good Giants baseball game. Yes, that's certinally not a typical male POV, but I relish being me and not them.

Patrick

DSCF3205-vi.jpg

Photo by my Grandaughter!

4 people like this

I think maybe watching my grandparents garden got me interested in it- Grandpa cared for the roses, and grandma everything else- I also had an aunt who was a nature lover, so I guess they passed an interest in those things down to me- I feed birds and plant gardens- Nothing elaborate- I'm facinated by nature, by weather- I used to sew a lot, and sold what I sewed on etsy- Since grandma and my own mother sewed, it took an interest in it too- Another aunt of mine was a seamstress- I like to read about different religions and schools of thought (again, influenced by my mother and grandmother) enjoy novels, biographies, autobiographies and cookbooks- I also watch a LOT of movies and some TV- Loved Mad Men! I just recently watched Peyton Place and Return to Peyton Place- OMG ..  loved the clothes, the interiors .. the tree lined streets .. not to mention just sitting back and watching the human dynamics .. ! Fun stuff- :rolleyes:

You sound like a very versatile person Theresa! You must lead an interesting life!

Hmm. Photography, digital scrap booking, crochet, loom knitting (no needles for me!), sketching and some water painting. Also, my dogs. Actually, I think they think *I'm* their hobby!

2 people like this

I have a few hobbies but one that I am having with lately is baking and cake decorating.  If I have an hour or two I like to bake up something the family likes, or if there is a birthday I especially like baking and decorating a cake.

Right now I am preparing for a fundraiser at DS's high school that involves a cake auction.  I participated in it last year.  I baked and decorated a cake for the auction.  Unfortunately on the way to transporting it to the school, DS dropped the cake and despite last minute efforts to salvage it there it sat at the auction, all damaged and lopsided with our family name in front of it and next to all the other beautiful cakes that were professionally done.  It was the sad little cake that could have been.

This year, I am determined to have the best cake on the auction block and to save our family name LOL!  I also have asked someone other than DS to help transport it!   And yes, DS and I can now laugh about this cake incident although at the time I felt like crying.

1 person likes this

I have a few hobbies but one that I am having with lately is baking and cake decorating.  If I have an hour or two I like to bake up something the family likes, or if there is a birthday I especially like baking and decorating a cake.

Right now I am preparing for a fundraiser at DS's high school that involves a cake auction.  I participated in it last year.  I baked and decorated a cake for the auction.  Unfortunately on the way to transporting it to the school, DS dropped the cake and despite last minute efforts to salvage it there it sat at the auction, all damaged and lopsided with our family name in front of it and next to all the other beautiful cakes that were professionally done.  It was the sad little cake that could have been.

This year, I am determined to have the best cake on the auction block and to save our family name LOL!  I also have asked someone other than DS to help transport it!   And yes, DS and I can now laugh about this cake incident although at the time I felt like crying.

Nobody needs to drop my cakes .. they turn out all lopsided naturally! Hope yours turns out amazing!  I have the book Lomelino's Cakes: 27 Pretty Cakes to Make Any Day Special by Linda Lomelino on hold at the library .. I need a little inspiration .. :)

1 person likes this

You sound like a very versatile person Theresa! You must lead an interesting life!

"What a long strange trip it's been" :)

2 people like this

I am going to look into that book Teresa.  When I took a series of cake decoration classes, I was a complete beginner going in, and the best advice I got from the teacher was to put  baking strips around the (round) cake pans, so the cakes come out flat and evenly baked, which then helps with the aesthetics (no lopsided-ness or hump in the middle) as well as the taste of the cakes (not dry around the edges, evenly baked).

I use Wilton bakeware and have the Wilton baking strips to match, but places like Amazon sell baking strips for other bakeware.

1 person likes this

I am going to look into that book Teresa.  When I took a series of cake decoration classes, I was a complete beginner going in, and the best advice I got from the teacher was to put  baking strips around the (round) cake pans, so the cakes come out flat and evenly baked, which then helps with the aesthetics (no lopsided-ness or hump in the middle) as well as the taste of the cakes (not dry around the edges, evenly baked).

I use Wilton bakeware and have the Wilton baking strips to match, but places like Amazon sell baking strips for other bakeware.

Thank you for that suggestion! I never heard of baking strips- I've used foil to cover the edges of crust when baking pies to prevent them from burning but never knew there was such a thing for cakes- My cakes always, always have dry-ish edges and humps in the centers- And .. my oven isn't level ..

Thank you for that suggestion! I never heard of baking strips- I've used foil to cover the edges of crust when baking pies to prevent them from burning but never knew there was such a thing for cakes- My cakes always, always have dry-ish edges and humps in the centers- And .. my oven isn't level ..

You will love the way your cakes come out after you use the baking strips.  Here is a link to baking strips that are similar to the ones I use.  Mine fasten with pins which is a pain, but these strips fasten with velcro making it really simple to use.

Also, it is important that the strips are wet when fastened to the cake pans.  They also can be used to even out the baking process on all kinds of baked goods such as brownies, coffee cake, etc.

Happy Baking!

Note from Rosered: Theresa, unfortunately, the link that BSW gave you had to be removed b/c it led to advertizing (not BSW's intention, obviously). Perhaps you've already made note of it and if so great! But if not, you can find the baking strips she was showing you by going to amazon.com and keying in the words "baking strips."

1 person likes this

I taught cake decorating for 4-H years ago. The kids loved it, competed in the Fair and learned new stuff. DD has a side business of cupcakes based on her skills of 25 years ago....and does beautiful work. Another of "my kids" stayed with it over the years and is now a certified Wilton teacher. 

In my old, somewhat slanted oven I was able to get level cakes by reducing the temp to 325 and rotating the pans after 1/2 the baking time. The lower heat helps them rise higher. You can use layers of strips of wet newspaper as baking strips as well. 

1 person likes this

How about using strips of parchment paper.  I love that stuff.  I always put two layers under my Banana Bread because it always gets too brown before it gets done.

Parchment paper is great for lining the baking pan, as it prevents the cake from sticking to the pan in case the pan wasn't properly buttered/floured.

I don't think parchment paper will result in a level cake, however.  If in a crunch, the bottom of the cake can always be put on the top layer for a leveled look.  Just be careful with the crumbs when icing.  The golden rule of icing = no crumbs in the icing on the cake.

Also, for homemade cake pan strips, old towels can be cut in strips and used.  Wet the towel strips and remove excess water so that they are damp, then wrap the strips around the cake pan and secure with a pin.  Be careful not to let the towel strips fall below the cake pan and touch the oven rack. 

P.S.  I haven't tried wet newspapers which Mame suggested.

1 person likes this

Thank you all!

Just want to add that I also have a couple of collector hobbies. One of them is collecting special editions of magazines - usually those that highlight a decade or an era. I've become increasingly choosy about it, though, b/c I only have so much room, of course (keep them in one cabinet) and b/c some publishers, it seems to me, will present almost anything as a "Collector's Edition."  Also, now and then, the cabinet starts to get full and then I have to prune them (don't want "collecting" to turn into "hoarding!").

Many gardeners already know about Dave's Garden but for those who don't ..

"Dave's Garden (aka "DG") is an informational website where a large, international community of gardeners can learn from each other and find resources offered by the gardening industry. "

I purchase my seed online from Everwilde Farms located in Wisconsin- They've a unique variety of both annual and perennial flowers, vegetables and herbs and wild grasses- Their pricing is low, even for bulk- And not that it matters .. but their seed packets are pretty and resealable- 

I don't grow anything fancy, pretty much only annuals that will withstand dry periods between rain because I don't water anything I plant in the ground, only containers- The house is so old it doesn't have a spigot outside to attach a hose to- One summer I attempted to grow vegetables and watered the garden with a watering can but that got old really fast .. the soil here has a lot of clay and sits on shale ..

Edited by rosered135
guideline 5f

During the winter, I crochet, knit (a little), dabble in genealogy, and I've recently started doing plastic canvas (Barbie furniture only).  I've been meaning to break out my sewing machine but I haven't.  During the warmer months I enjoy fishing and photography

1 person likes this

Gardening and birding once springtime hits! Such a beautiful time of the year!

Vegetable gardening is my favorite hobby.  Last year I included a lot of herbs and flowers, and I loved having little flower arrangements all summer long made with basil leaves and home grown flowers.  I am also learning how to actually cook finally (learning technique, Not just recipes) so I'm excited to plant some different vegetables this year to play with.

Over the years my grands have enjoyed the garden to various degrees, from digging just to dig, watering, planting something themselves, to picking and enjoying the produce.  My grandsons don't get to spend much time at our house but I have a fond memory of the youngest visiting last year and he spent quite a bit of time running out to the garden, picking one strawberry, bringing it in and having me inspect it, then getting to eat it.  Over and over until there were no more ripe ones.  

1 person likes this