• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
LatoyaADMIN

What is your current hobby?

42 posts in this topic

Playing guitar was one of my hobbies.  I started lessons a few years back in my late 50s on a whim and discovered that I really like doing it.  You see I sing and now I can play and sing at the same time and together those things give me great joy.  I have a short program that I performed at Seniors homes etc. that is made up of Blue Grass, gospel and old Country songs.  I even dress the part first as a hillbilly and then as a "flapper".  The Seniors loved to sing along with the ones they knew.  Since my DD and her 2 little ones have moved in with us I have had little time to play or practice but I understand the need to really try and find that time for myself and do those things that make me happy and give me joy.

1 person likes this

It also might be a way to keep those little ones entertained.  Lots of kids like to dance around to music.  Tire them out just before nap time might help.

Love reading and travelling. 

Mmmm...hobbies. :D

I retired two years ago and have been going a little crazy with hobbies just because I can!

I love photography, paper crafting, furniture refinishing, hiking, taking MOOCs (classes) online, penpals (including my grandchildren), genealogy, reading, cooking, astrology... I have been involved with gardening in the past and would like to again, but when I retired, I moved to a new climate and I have been trying to get a good sense of it before I tackle gardening again. (I did try my first year here, but having moved from a swamp to the desert, it didn't go all that well.)

Oh, and I am currently homeschooling with my teen-aged youngest son and volunteering with the Ministry of Food and care for my disabled husband.

It all keeps me busy.  :crazy:

8 hours ago, GrandmaMisti said:

Mmmm...hobbies. :D

I retired two years ago and have been going a little crazy with hobbies just because I can!

I love photography, paper crafting, furniture refinishing, hiking, taking MOOCs (classes) online, penpals (including my grandchildren), genealogy, reading, cooking, astrology... I have been involved with gardening in the past and would like to again, but when I retired, I moved to a new climate and I have been trying to get a good sense of it before I tackle gardening again. (I did try my first year here, but having moved from a swamp to the desert, it didn't go all that well.)

Oh, and I am currently homeschooling with my teen-aged youngest son and volunteering with the Ministry of Food and care for my disabled husband.

It all keeps me busy.  :crazy:

Sounds like you have a full plate, even though you "retired!" :)

2 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Sounds like you have a full plate, even though you "retired!" :)

<laugh>  Yes, indeed.  Like so many retirees, I wonder when I ever had tome to work. ;)

2 people like this

I'm subbing these two weeks....this getting up at 6:30 bites big time! I'd rather be tending to my projects at home.

I've been retired for about 8 years and I still wake about the same time I did for 20 something years unless I stay up way past midnight.

I was teaching the kids to make little potpouri & homemade candles in mason jars. Since they have been gone. I just don't have the interest in doing anything without my grandchildren.  We were gonna set up a table at the Flea Market on weekends & sell our sweet smelling potpouri & candles.  They enjoyed making the crafts and were excited about making their own money.  I would love to open up a crafts store.  I have been lied to so much by everybody I don't know who trust anymore. I still have their X-mas gifts. The CPS took them clothes and some of their toys to the other foster home in Baytown, TX.  They were going to take their X-Mas gifts, but they were moved to VA. to stay with their uncle.  Now they say I can't send them anything & neither can the paternal grandma. They are being really rude to me.  The paternal grandma called me other day & said she bought them some gifts for Valentine's Day & were going to send them to her son & he will open it up & say look what I found to the girls.  She bragged about it.  Then yesterday I spoke to the kids & the uncle told me their great grandma (my husb. grandma) reached out to them on FB & wanted to see the kids or send them something.  He told me I could send them to the kids from her GGM) Then this morning his wife sent me message & ask for my address. I sent her mine & the GGM's.  I replied that I needed their address also so I could send the kids some things & that her husb.said I could send the kids something from their GGM.  She replied she's not trying to be difficult but the kids are not suppose to get any mail.  She plays by the rules.  It sounded like a game to me.  I said I understand, just let me know.  I messaged her about 5:00 & ask if they had decided if I could send the kids something in the mail yet.  So far I've got no reply.  Why are they punishing the kids, they are innocent.  Plus they heard when the uncle said I could send them their gifts.  In fact they asked me to show them a few gifts on Webcam.  How & what am I going to say to them.  I'm tired of lying to them because I have lied to since the CPS took them.  There is something very wrong going on here.  Any advice & prayers will help.  Thank you all for all your kindness.

@SadAnnie - IMO, it's great that you and your GC share an interest in putting together those mason jars! I's sorry the Flea Market plans fell through, of course, and that you've lost your feeling for crafts, right now, due to the circumstances.

TG, the children are w/ family though/people who, I presume, know and love them. There seems to be some confusion over what's allowed and what isn't, however, and I'm sorry about that.

Please realize that this is a hobby thread, so I'm not sure if the OP is ok w/ it's getting "heavy." Locking it, for now, until she can take a look.

Meanwhile,  I've opened up a thread in Grandparents Unplugged that I think is more appropriate for expressing concerns about CPS and foster care, etc. Please feel free to click it on and post in there about the problem w/ sending gifts, etc:

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

My current favorite hobby is setting up and stocking my sewing room. I've been reading a lot about this online in various sewing groups and have realized that it's not unusual at all to be more interested in purchasing fabric (and thread, and patterns, and notions) than it is to actually SEW something with them. I tell myself that I am preparing all of this for my eventual retirement, when I will be a frequent sewer. For the time being, I do sew something occasionally for my granddaughters, but I'm very slow at it and sometimes they have already outgrown whatever I'm making, which is a disappointment and very discouraging. Other times, they just don't seem very excited by whatever I imagined would be the best gift EVER!

On the other hand, my DIL mentioned to me once that when she was a child, no one ever sewed anything just for her, and that she was very pleased that I am sewing things for her children. So that gives me a great incentive to keep trying. 

My other hobby is gardening. I manage a very small community garden which is not very active right now but has been in the past. I have been gardening for more than fifty years and cannot imagine my life without growing something outdoors. I have attached a picture of our little garden, as it appears when everything is neatly weeded in the early spring - not overgrown and messy as it looks now at the end of a long hot summer! 

our_garden_after_a_rain_2.jpg

2 people like this

For the time being, I do sew something occasionally for my granddaughters, but I'm very slow at it and sometimes they have already outgrown whatever I'm making, which is a disappointment and very discouraging. Other times, they just don't seem very excited by whatever I imagined would be the best gift EVER!

On the other hand, my DIL mentioned to me once that when she was a child, no one ever sewed anything just for her, and that she was very pleased that I am sewing things for her children. So that gives me a great incentive to keep trying. 

I think it's wonderful that you take the time to do this, and I'm glad you're going to keep it up. IMO (in my opinion), it's also great that DIL appreciates it, even if your GDs don't always or the clothes don't always fit. Depending on their ages, right now, they're probably more excited about store-bought clothes w/ their favorite characters on them or whatever. But in later years, chances are, they'll begin to see how special it was that you sewed clothes for them and may even pass some of the items down to their own children and GC, if any.

Maybe not. But that's how it worked out in my family. Both my DDs' (dear daughters') GMs made a few things for them when they were little. IDK how much they appreciated that back then, but I did. And a couple of those items ended up being handed down by them to my darling GD. :)

2 people like this

I've been sewing since I was twelve, more than 50 years....neither of my DD were ever interested, the 3 GG (grand-girlies) are too young, but a grand niece, now 11 wants to know how, so I'll be teaching her when we have time together...

I took up quilting about 15 years ago...my fabric stash is impressive.

3 people like this

Beautiful gardens Abuela303.  We have a few tomatoes still ripening, but everything else is finished up.

Since my stroke in August, I am suppose to sit around with my feet up except when doing my daily exercise.  That was OK for about a week or two, but then no more.  Reading was a challenge due to double vision when my head was held at certain angles, but that is better now.  I had some crossword books, but my mind just wasn't into that.  When my teen GD was here for a couple of visits in the summer, she had left some simple Fill-In puzzles.  Much easier on my brain.  I finished those and got some new ones.  The license plate puzzles with both numbers and letters are hard.  At first, I couldn't decipher my own writing.  That is getting better as long as I don't try cursive.  Typing is even a challenge late in the day when I am tired, or early in the mornings when still groggy with sleep.

Cooking/baking is also a challenge due to my personal thermostat is broken.  When I get a tad warm, I drip in perspiration and when cold, I can't get my feet warm again without a warm bath.

This morning the temp was a mere 52* so I mixed up a sweet bread and baked a small cake.  Hubby has been missing his sweets this last month or so.

2 people like this

I haven't had a garden since 2014, and that one was small. Hopefully by next spring I'll have the yard back in some sort of order to do one. My emotional fog seems to be clearing, rather suddenly, actually so I'm starting to do more 'automatically'....there is hope. 

1 person likes this

I worked full time and professionally as an artist but now we are moving I am doing it as a hobby . I love drawing,painting,journaling, embroidery,photography and Sunday driving exploring.  I like to to whimsical iPad art for my granddaughter,or photographing a stuffed bear for her.

IMG_5024.JPG

3 people like this

I'm now semi-retired, just working part time and have had the time to get back to sewing. It's been very hard to sew for my GDs because my DIL has very different taste than I do with children's clothes but now that the girls are older and are allowed to make some of their own choices, I have made a few things for them. But great news! I have a great niece and her mom, my niece, loves the clothes I made for her as a small child (her mom saved them) so now I am sewing sweet, classic baby clothes for her baby.  I have started baking again and thanks to youtube videos have learned how to decorate cakes which is new for me. I can't garden as much as I would like, bad knees, but do what I can.

1 person likes this