• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

A light summer read?

12 posts in this topic

Any ideas for some good but lightweight reading, while I'm on vacation w/ the family? Something that will hold my attention but can weather the interruptions of summer activities ("Let's all go swimming!") and (adorable) GC ("Gramma, I need..." "Wanna hug, Gramma?" - oh, who could resist?!)

I'm currently reading James Patterson's 14th Deadly sin. I'm about halfway through it and it definitely has my attention. Though sometimes, if the kids interrupt, I do wind up rereading the same sentence 10 times lol.

For light vacation reading, I often just pick up a romance, the stories are enough alike that it doesn't really matter if you remember the story line.

2 people like this

I just finished a really good book on a long plane ride, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

I really hate clutter, and although I've done a fairly good job of not living in clutter, I wanted to do a better job, so I got this book, read it, and it has completely motivated me (and DH who also hates clutter) to do a final push to get rid of all clutter in our home and organize/correctly store what does remain.

This is a great book if you are interested in doing the same. 

1 person likes this

I am currently reading Witches, Ghosts and Signs by Patrick W. Gainer. I enjoy reading regional folktales  and legends. I am very partial to folktales and legends from Appalachia, which consist of supernatural elements.

1 person likes this

These all sound really good, ladies. I'm off to the library tomorrow to see what I can find.

@ PM - I hear you about those interruptions, LOL!

@ Sue - And I know what you mean about reading romances on vacation. That may be the way I decide to go...

We go to the county library at least a couple of times a month.  My latest favorite is Linwood Barclay.  He writes suspense stories that I haven't a clue "who done it" until he reveals the guilty party.

1 person likes this

Sounds great, Sue!

I just finished the new Barbara Delinsky, "Blueprints"...nice light read.

Actually, Sue, I took your earlier advice and brought a couple of light romances w/ me. Also found at the library a Jody Piccoult (spelling ?) book, Handle with Care (some of you may have read her book, My Sister's Keeper). Ok, I admit, this one was heavier, but read it fast b/c it really drew me in. So both the light reads and the heavier one worked out. :)

But I'm still keeping all these suggestions in mind, people, for the rest of the summer. Also, for the fall - a few lighter books may be just the diversion I need as i adjust my schedule, once again. Especially since YDD's may be changing dramatically, this year (she's starting the academic program she wanted) and, therefore, so might mine. And, of course, there may be other members looking for some "easier" reading. So please continue this conversation...

I enjoy anything written by Jody Picoult.

I've only read one Picoult book Plain Truth set in the Amish community. Extremely well done. My summer brain candy is the writings of Will Rogers. Such rare insight into the human condition. He's been dead for 80 years, but still such timely commentary.