• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
WhichWayU

Helpful Books about Family Relationships

12 posts in this topic

Some nonfiction books about family relationships that have been enlightening for me are:

"Boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend  

"When I say No I feel Guilty" by Manuel Smith  

"The Dance of Anger" by Harriet Lerner

Looking foward to seeing others' recommendations...

2 people like this

Some nonfiction books about family relationships that have been enlightening for me are:

"Boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend

"When I say No I feel Guilty" by Manuel Smith

"The Dance of Anger" by Harriet Lerner

Looking foward to seeing others' recommendations...

I've read the boundaries book. I think it was actually recommended to me on this site. I'm going to look into the other 2.

My top 3 that really resonated:

1.  Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend - should be required reading for every newly married couple. 

2.  Emotional Blackmail, When People in your Life use Fear, Obligation and Guilt To Manipulate You by Susan Forward  - This book helped me understand my IL family like no other.  A great companion book to Boundaries.

3.  The Blessings of a B Minus:  Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Resilient Teenagers by Wendy Mogel (who also wrote Blessings of a Skinned Knee for parenting younger kids) -  I really agree with this author's parenting philosophy and hope I too have raised resilient teens!

Another vote for Boundaries by Townsend and McCloud. :) Here are my others:

The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker

When He's Married To His Mom by Dr. Kenneth Adams

Mean Mothers: Overcoming the Legacy of Hurt by Peg Streep

The Gaslight Effect by Dr. Robin Stern

Toxic Inlaws by Susan Forward

5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Wolves in Sheep's Clothing by Dr. George K. Simon

Ritalin Is Not the Answer by Dr.  David Stein

The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz

Another vote for The Gift of Fear.  Such a great book on distinguishing between anxiety vs. fear, and reminding us to pay attention to our intuition and all those warning signs when danger is at the front steps.  I think this should be required reading for all young adults as they transition into independent life

Also, I too like When He's Married to Mom.   The loyalty bind a DH - who has a dysfunctional relationship with mom - struggles with between his mom and wife was really enlightening.   

1 person likes this

A Sister's Promise by Karen Lenfestey. Sisters Series Book 1

What Happiness Looks Like Sisters Series Book 2

Two of the 3 in this series - haven't read the last one On The Verge yet - that I have really enjoyed reading. I want to get my younger sister to read. All kinds of family issues are touched on in this well-written fiction book. I really recommend them.

ANanaofTwo

I liked Boundaries also. I liked the whole Boundaries series though. I like anything by Cloud and Townsend.

The Good Girl Syndrome was a good one for me to read.

Right now I am reading Pleasers.

A book I found several years ago is Bringing Out The Winner In Your Child by John Croyle. He turned down an opportunity to play in the NFL in the early 70s because he felt called to care for "throw away" children. His story is story is quite unique. He now runs the Big Oak Boys Ranch and Big Oak Girls Ranch in Alabama. He really understands children....a worthy read.

1 person likes this

I've read some books by Dr. Leman, Have a New You by Friday, Have a New Husband by Friday, Have a New Kid by Friday. Still need to read Have a New Family by Friday. Interesting and good concepts that actually worked for me and my family. Though we are still a work in progress.

Cupcake55....we are ALL still a work in progress

2 people like this

Cupcake55....we are ALL still a work in progress

Sometimes I feel like such a slow learner! All these Boundary books and books about Pleasers has REALLY helped though and I AM making headway. LOL. Baby steps.

1 person likes this

I've read many of the books listed here in the past few months. I've been in my crafting period with the holidays coming and gifts to be made still so my reading is on hold, but I was rereading the Jack Reacher series. I do have a number of psychology, marriage, and self help books in my queue for afterwards though.