• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Tinka

Favorite Books Of All Time

9 posts in this topic

Mine is probably The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.  I like most of her vampire/supernatural books.  Hers came out before Twilight and all that became popular.

I also really like everything by Wally Lamb so far.

Y'all?

1 person likes this

Tinka, your post made me smile b/c ODD loves the Ann Rice books and has read most of them, I believe. At the same time, YDD is a big fan of the Twilight series.

As for me, I think my "favorite books of all time" will always be the ones I read around 5th/6fh grade - The Secret Garden, the Anne of Green Gables series, the Alcott books and The Story of Mary Jemison. :_

However, I do have some faves I've read since then -  two books I read recently, Gone Girl and Mistress of the Sun come to mind, for example.

1 person likes this

Wuthering Heights is my favorite book of all time. I first read it in sixth grade. The story grabbed me from the beginning, and I still find it haunting today. Oh, and I like the Sookie Stackhouse books (Southern Vampire Mystery Novels) by Charlaine Harris.

1 person likes this

I read The Call of the Wild when I was about 12. I can still remember most of the story to this day. Other books I sometimes have to read a second time to remember the story line but this one has stuck with me.

1 person likes this

Oh I love Anne Rice.  I read a bunch of the vampire novels when I was in highschool/college.  So much better than the Twilight series.  My favorite of the vampire books is Memnoch the Devil.  I loved the discussion of the relationship between God and the Devil. 

As to favorite books of all time...probably Song of the Hummingbird by Graciela Limon.  It's a story about an Aztec woman who comes of age during the time the conquistadors conquered Mexico. 

As a child, my first favorite book was Bedknobs & Broomsticks....then I discovered the "Little House on the Prairie" series, which still makes me all warm and fuzzy. Moved on to Gone With the Wind, which gets a re-read every couple of years.

I do love the novels of Herman Wouk...perhaps Marjorie Morningstar or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn could be my favorite. I'm also a big fan of John Jakes historical fiction. His research & character development are stellar.

My absolute favorite book for years when I was in elementary school was "King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry. It's an absolutely lovely story of the devotion of a grooms boy for "his" horse.

Later, Pride & Prejudice was (and is) a favorite.

And "The Stand" by S. King.

"Boys Life" by Robert McGannon. Wonderful mix of the supernatural and growing up in a smallish southern town.

Oh, and for years I'd reread the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Love it!

To Kill a Mockingbird of course, The Help also, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I like stories about real struggles of people so I can learn and be more sympathetic towards others

1 person likes this

On Saturday, August 08, 2015 at 3:42 PM, TaxiMomma said:

"Boys Life" by Robert McGannon. Wonderful mix of the supernatural and growing up in a smallish southern town.

Boys life is also one of my faves! If you haven't read it, try Swan Song by the same author.