• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Best Books for Kids?

27 posts in this topic

What do you think are some of the best books/types of books for children?

My boys love super hero books. My dd loves the little short hard Dr. Seuss books.

2 people like this

I typically use a list like this one: http://www.scholastic.com/100books/

We have most of these books, from our kids and for the grands. Church cuts the list a bit, but it's a good start.

1 person likes this

My mom showed me 2 books recently that I thought were wonderful.  Beautifully written and illustrated. --- Rechenka's Eggs and The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco.  She handed the first to me to just skim to see if I wanted to read it to my son and I couldn't put it down. 

2 people like this

These sound great, ladies! And Janelle, thanks for the list!

@ All - Keep 'em coming!

My kids like the Magic Treehouse series.

2 people like this

The 9-10 age group is into Percy Jackson or Harry Potter or Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The middle schoolers are working toward the Twilight series and Hunger Games trilogy

1 person likes this

Argh. Every time I'd pick out books for my kids to read, they were totally disinterested. My son did get into the Percy Jackson audiobooks at bedtime though.

My daughter was not into reading at all until her friends started going all ga-ga for the Twilight series. Thank god she moved away from those books quickly and into better written ones.

4 people like this

Still enjoying these, people...

Recently, my DGD has "fallen in love" w/ the "Rainbow Magic" series. On a visit to the library, a few days ago, she took out 6 of them!

I like tho reccomend the Enchanted Dorest Chronicle by Patricia C. Wrede. The first book, "Dealing with Dragons," was one of my favorites growing up. The whole series is really fun.

1 person likes this

Best books for kids? Within reason....whatever gets them reading. It is different for each kid I think. My oldest was reading Pride and Prejudice in the 6th grade. My youngest glazed over at the idea of a book over 100 pages forever. Then she found the Percy Jackson series and fell in love. Both love anime. Oldest DD has now read ALL of Jane Austen's novels. Youngest DD will likely only read them if under duress, but LOVES the Mazerunner series, Anything Rick Riordan, All Mythology. Oldest loves classics - Shakespeare, Austen, Bronte. 

Honestly, as long as the reading level is appropriate and it isn't something that you are uncomfortable with your child reading - I would err more on the side of topics they enjoy than topics they "should" be reading LOL. Lots of parents want their kids to read whatever is popular, or whatever THEY want them to read. Honestly, if they are reading with passion, I'm ok with the street signs if it gets them recognizing word combinations, spelling and phonics. 

That being said, depending on the age, Dr Seuss, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, Captain Underpants, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter. Some more of my favorites:

1. Charlotte's Web

2. Where the Sidewalk Ends

3. Where the Wild Things Are

4. Good Night Moon

5. The Very Hungry Caterpillar

6. Harold and the Purple Crayon

7. The Cat and the Hat

8. Tales of Peter Rabbit

9. Madeline

10. Ramona The Pest (and associated series books)

11. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

12. Stuart Little

13. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

14. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

15. ALL of the Anne of Green Gables Series

16. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

17. Bridge to Terabithia

18. Diary of a Wimpy Kid

19. The Hobbit (And Lord of the Rings series)

20. Judy Blume - Specifically Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Are You There God, It's Me Margaret

21. A Wrinkle In Time

22. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

23. Ender's Game

24. Hunger Games Trilogy

25. The Outsiders

26. To Kill A Mockingbird

27. Holes

28. Goosebumps Series

29. The Mouse & The Motorcycle

30. James & The Giant Peach (or all things Roald Dahl) 

31. Ember series

32. Bunnicula

33. My Weird School Series

34. The Giver Series

35. Tuck Everlasting

36. Ella Enchanted

37. Spiderwick Chronicles

38. Divergent Series

39. The Boxcar Children

40. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

41. The Borrowers

42. Amelia Bedelia

43. Magic Treehouse series

44. Inkheart Series

45. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie series

46. Little Women/Little Men

47. Sideways Stories from Wayside School

48. Junie B Jones series

49. Artemis Fowl

50. Judy Moody series

51. Nate the Great

52. Cam Jansen series

53. Babysitters Club

54. Trixie Belden series

55. Angelina Ballerina

56. Island of the Blue Dolphin

57. Bobbsey Twins series

58. Flat Stanley series

59. American Girls series

60. The Secret Garden

61. Brer Rabbit

LOL Ok I'll stop. Is it necessary to say that my girls owned(and still do) more books than toys? There are nearly 1,000 books in our house right now, not counting what's on tablets. Today, both of my girls LOVE to read. 

3 people like this

AWESOME choices BEG! A few more I recommend:

The Magic Treehouse series (they also have associated research guides; for example, "The Knight At Dawn" has an accompanying nonfiction book about knights and castles)

What Katy Did and associated books

Bailey School Kids

Anything by Gordon Korman, especially the Bruno & Boots series (the first book in the series was written when he was 12!)

The Giver and associated books

Anything by Robert Munsch

Cherry Ames series (these are about a nurse; they are now back in print)

Seven Little Australians

Treasure Island and other books by Robert Louis Stevenson

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Little House series

The Mortal Instruments series and other books by Cassandra Clare (more for teens)

Many of the "classics" can now be accessed free of charge online as they are in the public domain.

1 person likes this

AWESOME choices BEG! A few more I recommend:

The Magic Treehouse series (they also have associated research guides; for example, "The Knight At Dawn" has an accompanying nonfiction book about knights and castles)

What Katy Did and associated books

Bailey School Kids

Anything by Gordon Korman, especially the Bruno & Boots series (the first book in the series was written when he was 12!)

The Giver and associated books

Anything by Robert Munsch

Cherry Ames series (these are about a nurse; they are now back in print)

Seven Little Australians

Treasure Island and other books by Robert Louis Stevenson

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Little House series

The Mortal Instruments series and other books by Cassandra Clare (more for teens)

Many of the "classics" can now be accessed free of charge online as they are in the public domain.

Oh, I'd all but forgotten the Cherry Ames series! Loved it when i was a kid! I wonder if they've done/had to do any updating though. Much has changed since those days and not just in technology!

ETA: Or not. I looked it up and since the stories are set in the 1940s/WWII era (I had forgotten that), they haven't been revised in any way that I can see.

OMGosh...one more. I swear. I can't believe I forgot these. THE SHOE BOOKS!! By Noel Streatfield.  I'm not even sure if they are in print now...maybe Amazon. But OMGosh how I love(d) those books. I think we have them. I searched high and low for them for my girls. Ballet Shoes, Skating Shoes, Dancing Shoes, Theatre Shoes. 

OMGosh...one more. I swear. I can't believe I forgot these. THE SHOE BOOKS!! By Noel Streatfield.  I'm not even sure if they are in print now...maybe Amazon. But OMGosh how I love(d) those books. I think we have them. I searched high and low for them for my girls. Ballet Shoes, Skating Shoes, Dancing Shoes, Theatre Shoes. 

Those sound delightful, BEG! I think DGD would love them!

1 person likes this

The Land of Stories series

The Gryphon Chronicles series

The Copernicus Legacy series

The Ranger's Apprentice series

Artemis Fowl series

The Kane Chronicles (another Rick Riordan series)

The Five Kingdoms series

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik about a captain and his dragon (or a dragon and his captain "as the dragon would say") this one might be better for young adults, don't think really young one would like it.

The Land of Stories series

The Gryphon Chronicles series

The Copernicus Legacy series

The Ranger's Apprentice series

Artemis Fowl series

The Kane Chronicles (another Rick Riordan series)

The Five Kingdoms series

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik about a captain and his dragon (or a dragon and his captain "as the dragon would say") this one might be better for young adults, don't think really young one would like it.

Interesting list, Donna! I haven't even heard of some of these!

One question: By "young adults" do you mean actual adults or teenagers (I've known some people to call them "young adults," that's why I'm asking)?

I've been ordering additional books for my new school library....we are getting mostly "YA" (young adult) as our student body is mostly 16, 17 &18...I just want to them to get interested in reading!

Kudos Mame! And thanks for the info about how the term "young adult" is used where books are concerned!

I'm also putting in a teen parents section. As we are the continuation high school for the district (6 regular high schools and two private), one of the criteria for needing to attend is pregnancy, which is not allowed in the conventional high schools. And I'm addressing teen dads as well. 

1 person likes this

Going back to a younger age group.... DGD has now "fallen in love" w/ 2 other series of books - the Whatever After series and the Cupcake Diaries.

DGS had also discovered a series of kiddie books he enjoys - Captain Underpants (what a name, LOL!)

DD's favorite childhood book is Ramona Quimby, Age 8. Its part of the Beezus & Ramona series. She and Ramona had a lot in common....DD was happy to find a kindred spirit in print and owns the complete series. DS was a fan of the Indian in the Cupboard series as an elementary reader. But he's not a fiction reader. Didn't mind being read to, but not for doing it on his own. He's a tech/tool-head.

Ahhh, Beezus and Ramona! Both my DDs loved that series as kids! DGD enjoys it, too. And now, she also has the whole set, courtesy of ODD, who bought it for her as a gift for her last bday.

YDD was also into the Indian in the Cupboard books and I think I still have a couple of them in my house.

DGD (as you may have guessed) is quite the little reader! DGS, like your DS, not so much, though he does have his faves.

Both my grands love the Charlie Brown stories about Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. For some reason, there only seem to be books of the Halloween and Christmas ones, not the T'giving. But my granddolls have long since had and enjoyed both books.  They also have and love The Night Before Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

So now I'm wondering, are there any other holiday stories that any of you recommend for kids?

My DGD loves The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg.

When I was teaching I often used books by Jan Brett for the holiday season the stories are timeless and the illustrations are amazing.