• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Collector Hobbies....

9 posts in this topic

,,, do you have any? Stamps, coins, international dolls, cartoon figures, shot glasses - whatever you collect, why not tell us about it and how your collection got started?

Ok, I'll start.. I have two of them. One of them is collecting special editions of magazines - usually those that highlight a decade or an era. The other is a collection of art and culture books (so maybe that counts as 2 separate collections?). Originally, I started the art book collection b/c I had one large coffee table art book that DM gave me. And I began getting books on different cultures  to make sure my DDs had plenty of resources for term papers, etc., as they went further in school. But then I found myself getting interested in cultural atlases, etc. and having specific types of books grouped together. For example, I have the art books are on my coffee table (good coffee table books, after all) and cultural atlases grouped together on one of the shelves of a livingroom wall unit. For that matter, we also have a group of scientific books (DH's), including a couple of Carl Sagan's together on another shelf of the same unit. (I haven't added any new ones in a long time though - only so much room, obviously.)

How about you?

Edited by rosered135
to add a thought

I used to collect American stamps.  I had hundreds of them, but since I hadn't looked at them in decades, I decided to try to sell them.  I sold some on EBay, but got next to nothing for them.  Now I'm using them for postage.  By the time I'm 202, I'll have used them all.  If I ever mail you anything, expect the envelope to be covered with a variety of stamps!  Gonna need bigger envelopes!

I also collected angels.  My first is one my mom made for me (ceramic) when I was 5.  I think I have about 40 of them.  Most are in a box, but some are in happy spots in my house...

I have an interesting assortment of camels. My favorite animal....the camel. When someone asked me why.....the first thing that popped into my head was "camels aid you on your journey". I have some beauties. One is made of leather that sat in the living room until the #2 grandboy decided to try to ride it; its now on a shelf, but greets you in the entry way. I also have a pair made from Mt. St. Helen's ash. I also have sets of vintage dishes....sets a beautiful table. 

DH collected many things.....which he wasn't able to dispose of before his passing. Much of it I'm not interested in. The kids can have what they want. The rest will most likely be sold (much of his stuff has some value).

I have some older coins that I've collected over the years simply because I was a bank teller and I pay attention to the coins I receive.  I look for silver coins (the coins today are clad).  The oddest one I've gotten in some change at a gas station was a 5 Reischsmark (**** coin from the 1930s).  I'm thinking someone stole it from their grandfather's war prize collection.

On 2/27/2016 at 8:42 PM, Grandma43113 said:

I have some older coins that I've collected over the years simply because I was a bank teller and I pay attention to the coins I receive.  I look for silver coins (the coins today are clad).  The oddest one I've gotten in some change at a gas station was a 5 Reischsmark (**** coin from the 1930s).  I'm thinking someone stole it from their grandfather's war prize collection.

Interesting post, Grandma!

I wasn't aware of the change the change in the way coins are made though I guess it's to be expected. How do you tell the difference?

Edited by rosered123
typo

My grandpa taught me the "turning the coin to the side" method, which is what I taught my kids when they were little.  My daughter still checks her coins.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Grandma43113 said:

Silver coins are slightly lighter, but the easiest way to tell is by turning them on their side.  Clad has a copper streak running down the middle.  Silver is entirely silver.  Also, check the dates.  For most coins, they stopped making silver in 1965.  http://coinsite.com/us-silver-coins-when-they-ended-and-what-theyre-worth/

Thanks for answering my question, Grandma! And thanks for the link!