• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Baby's 1st Thanksgiving!

25 posts in this topic

So it will soon be baby's 1st Thanksgiving! Will baby be part of a large celebration with all the GPs and lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc? Or just alone with Mommy and Daddy and any older sibs? Or??

And, if you will, how do you feel about this?

I would think the only consideration for a baby for TXG is whether or not travel is involved....beyond that I'd be surprised if anyone held dinner until the baby was awake to join in....

1 person likes this

Unfortunately, there may be some relatives who try to wake baby to "play w/" them or otherwise interfere w/ their schedule. And this might be another consideration if the parents are aware of/concerned about it. Hopefully, though, most family members are more reasonable.

The babies will be a little over 2 weeks old on TG. We met them, in the hospital, a few hours after they were born, just touching, no holding. Both of us love to hold and snuggle babies. Great TG coming up.

We'll only have our immediate family (our kids and grands not my sisters) over for Thanksgiving dinner. Some watch football and I assume a lot of baby passing. New mom is easy going and fairly spoiled, I reckon she'll want to pass the babies off for holding so she can eat turkey. :)

1 person likes this

@ Janelle - Always exciting, I think, to have a new generation at TG or any other holiday celebration, whether you (general) get to hold them or not. But as long as mom and dad are cool w/ others holding baby - and it sounds like they are - then passing the new LOs around is ok, obviously (well, as long as the babies don't complain, LOL!) and I hope you and DH get in plenty of snuggles! Hope everyone has a great time! :)

@ Janelle - Always exciting, I think, to have a new generation at TG or any other holiday celebration, whether you (general) get to hold them or not. But as long as mom and dad are cool w/ others holding baby - and it sounds like they are - then passing the new LOs around is ok, obviously (well, as long as the babies don't complain, LOL!) and I hope you and DH get in plenty of snuggles! Hope everyone has a great time! :)

I imagine she'll be cool with anyone holding the babies except DBs 3 y/o DD and ODDs 1 y/o DD. That sorta thing always leads to crying LOs, but 3 y/o is old enough to get over it, 1 y/o is fussy anyway.

DH and I totally intend on taking the babies in our room and snuggling for a couple of hours until the dishes are done and put up ;)  (worry not, it's a joke).

eta: For the first time (since my parents passed) we won't be hosting TG. DB and DSisIL are hosting our family and their family. They have a lovely guest suite we're excited to take over -- cuddling the new infants.

1 person likes this

Youngest grand child is 4 months old. Most of the family has seen her but not everybody. This is first year we will be having Thanksgiving early, this Sunday at my parents house. All of the women will make over the baby and take a turn holding her. To ignore a baby is a slap in the face to the mother, in my culture. My mother is the baby whisperer. I have never seen a baby she could not soothe. It's a gift. Has something to do with those two fluffy pillows on her chest I think.

1 person likes this

Youngest grand child is 4 months old. Most of the family has seen her but not everybody. This is first year we will be having Thanksgiving early, this Sunday at my parents house. Not my business, I know, but I'm wondering why you're doing it early? (You don't have to say, of course.) All of the women will make over the baby and take a turn holding her. To ignore a baby is a slap in the face to the mother, in my culture. Isn't it interesting the impact culture can have on these issues? My mother is the baby whisperer. I have never seen a baby she could not soothe. It's a gift. Has something to do with those two fluffy pillows on her chest I think.

Rose, Most of the younger family members work holidays, odd hours and have other places to go for holidays. It is more challenging each year to get everyone together.  Yes, Rose it is.                                                 

Rose, Most of the younger family members work holidays, odd hours and have other places to go for holidays. It is more challenging each year to get everyone together. 

I hear you! Great that everyone is flexible enough to do it on an alternative day!

Yes, Rose it is.

:)                                               

bump

My brother, sisIL, and her folks are co-hosting with us. They live LD from us and we don't see each other nearly as often as we'd like. Their kiddies are great and enjoy our grands. My brother/sisIL love hams from that store, his PILs prefer Asian/fish, we love turkey and have vegan/vegetarian kids, strange menu. Babies are 1y/o twins, 7.5 mos, and 3.5 mos on Thanksgiving. I'm not for sure if the infant boys will be joining but their 5 brothers/1 sister will be at dinner and on to skiing (weather permitting).

1 person likes this

bump

bump

Bringing this back up for T'giving 2017..

Edited by RoseRed135

It's GS's first Thanksgiving to be able to eat any of the meal.  It will be interesting to see what he likes the best other than the mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans which he loves.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, SueSTx said:

It's GS's first Thanksgiving to be able to eat any of the meal.  It will be interesting to see what he likes the best other than the mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans which he loves.

Like Sue, I'm curious what foods the huge group of family babysweethearts 18 months and younger will enjoy this TG (one niece had a baby last week - sweet new baby to meet on TG). We'll pray and sit down around noon, what with naps and nursing we likely won't see many babies eating - but it's an interesting ponder.

This year one of the dressings will include sausage. ODS loves our chicken-pork sausage and thinks his LO would like sausage dressing (really ODS loves sausage made, fried in patties and dad-delivered). LOs do like tiny sausage patties that fit in their little hands.

YDD questioned apple sauce, her dad told her she could pick any apples she wants (we have tons) and make all the apple sauce - we'll see if she cooks or gets in a tizzy instead over hairproducts.

Our DGD who is 3+ going on 11 wants hummstabees - usually referred to as hummus on celery.

Our kids (as toddlers) loved the avocados, applesauce, yams, dressing, pintos, pasta/sauce, ham/cheese pull-aparts, but not turkey or salmon - as far as I can remember.

Sweet potatoes and green beans would be the go-to for the littles...sides of avocado, fruit salad and maybe a bit of biscuit.

I got a new niece last week too, @JanelleK! I'll meet her at Christmas.

Congrats Mame! To you and, of course, the new parents! :)

Grandson loved the cornbread dressing.  We really weren't surprised grits are one of his favorites.

1 person likes this

SIL still says my cornbread dressing is better than DD's....honey, it's the same recipe...I taught your wife to cook...

My mother always uses too much sage...other than that ours is alike (I think).

This year the teenage GD mixed it up and did the tasting.  When she said enough we put it in the oven.  Hubby said it might be the best yet.

Edited by SueSTx
2 people like this

4 hours ago, Mame925 said:

SIL still says my cornbread dressing is better than DD's....honey, it's the same recipe...I taught your wife to cook...

LOL!

On 11/27/2017 at 0:36 PM, SueSTx said:

Grandson loved the cornbread dressing.  We really weren't surprised grits are one of his favorites.

I've never heard of grits in dressing. Added cooked or raw?

On 11/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, SueSTx said:

My mother always uses too much sage...other than that ours is alike (I think).

This year the teenage GD mixed it up and did the tasting.  When she said enough we put it in the oven.  Hubby said it might be the best yet.

I think sage is stronger some years. Our sage was really strong this year - dry weather.

NO he loves grits for breakfast.

1 person likes this