• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Reading

27 posts in this topic

Do/did you read to/with your kids or the GC/relative kids you take care of? Is there an age/stage where you feel reading together needs to stop or are you willing to do it, indefinitely, till they call a halt?

I'm always willing to read to any of the kids. I'm actually working on reading to my high school kids at work...especially at the end of the lunch period to dial them down a bit....As for my own, my DD hates being read to...always hated it. DS enjoyed it...because he certainly wasn't a reader himself.

If I'm with the GK at bedtime, they often ask me to read to them....which I do and thoroughly enjoy.

1 person likes this

Sounds delightful, Mame! :)

We read, daily, to the grands who live with us and often to grands when we babysit.

Reading, imo, has no age limit.

We're working away from home currrently, only reading to our grands on Skype or facetime. Yesterday I spent quite a long time reading recipes with 2 different sets of grands, doing math, pondering TG food. Our family includes lots of different ethnic backgrounds, DH and I decided we want slightly different food this year, turkey and dressing with extra dishes of Mexican, Asian, African, and Italian origins. We'll have 2 big tables - we're planning 27 chairs, 2 highchairs, 2 swaddled sleeping sweeties. We eat family style, not buffet as I've read here.

The remainder of the long weekend we'll all be up skiing, potentially 88 of us. Our grands and I read recipes, to each other, for that food as well. Three of my sisters and I always organize the rest of the weekend without input, DB does the paper and all drinks - milk and OJ, beer and scotch, and everything inbetween. For my sibs the inclusion DBs PILs and LO recipe choices will be interesting, we'll see how that rolls out. ;)

The grands are in school and learning how to read. I like for them to read to me and they like to show me how much they know.

Once I learned to read, DM wouldn't read stories to me anymore. I'm not sure if it just wasn't her thing or if she thought it was better to just let me read independently, period.* But I remember that I missed that for a long time. So I made up my mind that when I had kids, I would continue reading to them - or take turns reading - for a while after they started reading on their own.

ODD loved it all through elementary school! Once she could read, we would take turns reading pages and, eventually, "graduated" to taking turns reading chapters. We both have fond memories of those days. And so does YDD, to some extent, b/c she would listen to some of those stories/books, as we read (others were "too old" for her, as they're a few years apart).

YDD would have none of it for herself, however. Once she learned how to read, she preferred to read on her own. Oh sure, for a while, she still liked a bedtime story, but not very long, as I recall. I had to balance my reading time w/ ODD by doing other activities w/ YDD, but not reading. (I never thought about just reading recipes and such, w/ her, Janelle. That might have had more appeal.)

DGD prefers to read on her own, also. Sometimes, she likes to read to YDD and/or me, which I also find enjoyable. :) But, mostly, she would rather read by herself. 

DGS would just rather do other things, period, LOL! He's a good reader and does reading assignments for school, of course. But outside of that, so far, he would just rather not, no matter who's reading (w/ the exception of special stories, such as The Night Before Christmas, etc.)

So I guess that just goes to show that some kids are as resistant to having an adult read to/with them, once they can read, as some adults are to doing it. But I'm still glad I've always let each child know that's an option. :)

* For some reason, one summer, DM got it in her head that it would be good to read aloud to us all as a family, for a little while, every night. She didn't read stories, though. Rather, she read from books about different religions and cultures, etc. As I recall, we all found it very interesting and looked forward to it each evening - including DB who was a teenager and eager to hang out w/ his friends (DM only read for a short time each night). I would have loved if she picked it up again in later summers, but, again, for whatever reasons, she didn't.

I had my DS & his 3 kids for the weekend...he took care of everything but bedtime stories....the younger two piled up in my lap with Bedknobs & Broomsticks....The oldest didn't come quite as close, but I asked him if he wanted to listen in, he did. My girlie promptly fell asleep both nights, but the 3yo helped turn pages until the chapter was finished. 

1 person likes this

I can recite, "Goodnight, Moon" "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" from memory. And have. (Which gets some looks at the hair dressers, but hey, kid stays still).

I need to pick up another copy of Harry Potter, since ours all were read to death, and start reading that to the Middle Minions.

We do read alouds as part of our school day.

1 person likes this

Always read before bed to my own kids, as they got older we would pick out chapter books to read each day during the summer. As kids got older we would take turns reading aloud.

DGD is a wonderful reader now and often reads Harry Potter to me and uses voices of the characters.

1 person likes this

Loving these replies! It's beautiful, IMO, the way reading can pull family members together and create such delightful memories, too!

I had my DS & his 3 kids for the weekend...he took care of everything but bedtime stories....the younger two piled up in my lap with Bedknobs & Broomsticks....The oldest didn't come quite as close, but I asked him if he wanted to listen in, he did. My girlie promptly fell asleep both nights, but the 3yo helped turn pages until the chapter was finished. 

So sweet! And so interesting how the older one has "one foot out the door," so to speak, of read-alouds - but only the one foot, LOL!  Good idea to ask him if he'd like to listen!

I can recite, "Goodnight, Moon" "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" from memory. And have. (Which gets some looks at the hair dressers, but hey, kid stays still).

Awesome! Though after reading them all to 5 kids, I guess it's to be expected, LOL!

I need to pick up another copy of Harry Potter, since ours all were read to death, and start reading that to the Middle Minions.

:)

We do read alouds as part of our school day.

That's great, IMO!

Always read before bed to my own kids, as they got older we would pick out chapter books to read each day during the summer. As kids got older we would take turns reading aloud.

DGD is a wonderful reader now and often reads Harry Potter to me and uses voices of the characters.

Very heartwarming! Love the part about DGD using "the voices of the characters!"

Who knows? Someday, she may be a famous actress - and she'll say, "It all started when I used to read aloud to my GM!" :)

So sweet! And so interesting how the older one has "one foot out the door," so to speak, of read-alouds - but only the one foot, LOL!  Good idea to ask him if he'd like to listen!

This one is my "introvert engineer"....they do require special handling. He is part of a very busy household where his needs can be overlooked in the hustle & bustle. This personality isn't easily herded, they need choices as often as possible and to have those choices respected.

This one is my "introvert engineer"....they do require special handling. He is part of a very busy household where his needs can be overlooked in the hustle & bustle. This personality isn't easily herded, they need choices as often as possible and to have those choices respected.

IMO, it's beautiful that you understand him so well, Mame, and put thought into meeting his needs.

IMO, it's beautiful that you understand him so well, Mame, and put thought into meeting his needs.

Thanks, but its been baptism by fire....My DS is similar and my nephew is dead on same personality. DS is the only one of the 3 with an older sibling who always had the world by the tail, so following along in her path gave him much stronger social skills. Knowing what to expect has really helped me connect with GB....my goal with all the GK is trust first, so we're on the right track.

1 person likes this

Imp...love your reading list and would add "Ten Little Monkey's (jumping on the bed)"

Imp...love your reading list and would add "Ten Little Monkey's (jumping on the bed)"

I always sang/chanted that one. Learned it as a kid, so reading the book was actually kind of awkward for me, LOL

Same with a copy of The Teddy Bear's Picnic I had.

Bringing up this old thread of mine b/c GrampsX9's conversation in the ENNL forum took a brief turn that reminded me of it....

Recently, DGS became interested in the idea of our reading together, each reading a page in turn. I'm glad b/c he gets more reading in this way and I get to read w/ a child again like I did w/ ODD years ago. It only happens once in a while - he doesn't like to read much though he has his favorite authors/series (does reading for school, of course). And like his sister (an avid reader), he usually prefers to read on his own. But, now and then, he asks me to read w/ him, and I thoroughly enjoy it. :)

My teenaged GD still likes to read aloud and not just age appropriate books.  Last time we were in the library together she found a new book in the young readers department she hadn't read yet and sat and read it right quick while I was finding books for hubby.

Her currant interest is far different from mine, but we still read her old chapter books when she comes to stay a week.  I read awhile and then she takes it and reads to me.  I usually fall asleep and she will finish the chapter and I'll pick up from there the next night.

DS enjoyed being read to at the end of the day. DD, on the other hand, wanted no part of being read to by anyone, ever...it gives her the fidgets. The GK love it, the littles are on me like barnacles, the olders loiter within earshot so they don't miss a word while looking occupied with their own stuff. 

In elementary school my teachers often read to the class right after noon recess...It totally dialed everyone back to focus on the afternoon. Worked great. 

I'm doing some tutoring for a great niece with school issues. She is dyslexic among other issues, but the same reading homework of 20-30 minutes of reading a day still applies. One of the tricks I've learned for struggling readers is large print books. Helps with focus and word decoding. She's 14, so I've had to do some digging to find what we need, but have found Charlotte's Web, The Wind & the Willows, Call of the Wild, Little Women and Fault in Our Stars. Those should keep her busy for awhile. 

1 person likes this

We killed off the Harry Potter series, w/Diva, my 18 yo eavesdropping frequently (including forbidding me to finish the last w/out her listening). I actually have to get another series going for them. I do have the LTR series, but may all forgive me, I LOATHE Tolkien. I just do.

I'm thinking Percy Jackson next.

1 person likes this

I'm not a Tolkien fan either....#1GB enjoyed Percy Jackson. 

Stephen Hawking's DD Lucy Hawking wrote several mid-reader novels involving a character "George". The killer part of these (#2GB really enjoyed the ones he's read so far) is that Stephen Hawking provided the math/science in the storylines, so it's accurate from a scientific standpoint. 

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

I'm not a Tolkien fan either....#1GB enjoyed Percy Jackson. 

Stephen Hawking's DD Lucy Hawking wrote several mid-reader novels involving a character "George". The killer part of these (#2GB really enjoyed the ones he's read so far) is that Stephen Hawking provided the math/science in the storylines, so it's accurate from a scientific standpoint. 

I just ordered the Percy Jackson series. I need to dig out my D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths to read to them first, so that they have a bit more of a touch stone to the series.

Myths & Legends are wonderful. That should stir up some imaginations....DS was a big M&L fan. During his Navy tour of the Mediterranean, he spent some time in Crete and was totally spellbound by the Turkish coast.