• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Do you have any winter hobbies?

25 posts in this topic

Do you enjoy any hobbies/sports that are associated w/ winter - skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, ice fishing, etc?

Rain is all that keeps anyone inside around here....although currently our temps are quite cold for us....low 30s at night.

That said, I knit, crochet, sew, quilt, so my hobbies are year 'round other than gardening, but even that starts in late winter starting seeds...and it can all be done indoors.

1 person likes this

I love to cross country ski, there are many open fields with trails around where I live so I can basically walk out the door put on my skis and go. It's great exercise, and with a full moon at night it's fantastic. We also enjoy ice skating and ice fish,on a few of our local lakes and ponds. We make a fire to keep warm and cook things like hot dogs, soup, chili, stew, and s'mores. DH will usually catch a couple of fish and usually does catch and release.

To live in snow country you really need to find something you enjoy to make it through the long cold winter.

After the holidays I start shopping for seeds. My grand daughter gave me a skein of yarn and knitting needles for Xmas and is going to attempt to teach me to knit. Another grand daughter gave me adult coloring books and colored pencils which I've been really enjoying!

1 person likes this

I don't really enjoy winter related hobbies. Mine are similar to Mame, crochet, knitting, sewing, decoupage and journal crafting and year round. I would love to get into quilting! Unfortunately due to the dog that I didn't want and we now have I can't have a garden.

Enjoying these replies, people! Keep 'em coming! :)

DIL picked some fabric and I am going to make a blanket and curtains for the new bundle of joy that we are expecting.

I also order my seeds after the first of the year.  I got another seed cataloge in the mail yesterday.

2 people like this

Although I love the snow I've never learned any snow related activities.  I do love to cross stitch and crochet.  Some scrap booking.  This past fall I spent a month or so making felt ornaments for my tree and some to start ornaments boxes for my grandkids (to give them when they're older).  That was lots of fun.  I had to pack it all up though for the time being.   I had basal thumb surgery on 12/7 and am still recovering.  Have limited use of my left hand but hopefully it will be healed enough come spring for gardening.

Although I love the snow I've never learned any snow related activities.  I do love to cross stitch and crochet.  Some scrap booking.  This past fall I spent a month or so making felt ornaments for my tree and some to start ornaments boxes for my grandkids (to give them when they're older).  That was lots of fun.  I had to pack it all up though for the time being.   I had basal thumb surgery on 12/7 and am still recovering.  Have limited use of my left hand but hopefully it will be healed enough come spring for gardening.

How is your thumb doing?  I had surgery on both my thumbs about 5 years ago (about 6 mos apart).  Mine was termed as a "CMC arthroplasty". 

I hope your thumb heals nicely by gardening time.

Debs...that's what I had.  Can I ask you how long before your hand started to feel 'normal' again?  I'm 4 weeks and 3 days post op and although it's not as painful as first week or so I don't feel like I'm making progress.  I start PT in one hour and will do that once a week for about 8 weeks they said (doing more at home because insurance isn't covering it all).  I need to have other one done but now am thinking NO WAY!!!

MDG, I hope your thumb heals properly and soon, as well. Good luck w/ the PT! I'm sure that will help a lot.

Debs...that's what I had.  Can I ask you how long before your hand started to feel 'normal' again?  I'm 4 weeks and 3 days post op and although it's not as painful as first week or so I don't feel like I'm making progress.  I start PT in one hour and will do that once a week for about 8 weeks they said (doing more at home because insurance isn't covering it all).  I need to have other one done but now am thinking NO WAY!!!

I honestly don't remember now, but was working at the time and usually time off was 6-8 weeks.  I know that it does take a lot of therapy to build up those muscles that you weren't using.  And I remember that when I went back to work, I had to watch what I lifted for a bit.  So, am I right in thinking that you're just starting PT now?  One you start that, you should see much more progress.  But you have to keep at it and I know that can be tough when doing it on your own.

I think I had mine done about 6 months apart.  They were both the same and after the first one, I had met my deductible, so it was buy one, get one free.  LOL  

When I had my knee replacement, one thing that people suggested was to keep a journal.  They said it helped to look at it when they got frustrated, then they realized that they had come a long ways.   Good luck!

1 person likes this

I love to ski. Alpine is my favorite. The powder's great this year. In the last few years DH has gone extreme skiing with my brother and guides. SisIL and I got a little nervous, DH and DB decided against extreme skiing this year. We all like backwoods heli and cat skiing. DH and I also like Nordic skiing (weight control), ice skating and snowmobiling.

DH was meticulous with his PT after hip & both knee replacements....Partly it kept him occupied while recovering and partly he'd had so much pain prior to surgeries that he was determined to leave it all in the rear view. Within 3 months of total hip he was back crawling under houses (he was a plumbing contractor) and after each knee he was playing golf in 6 weeks. His biggest piece of advice is to take any pain meds 20-30 minutes BEFORE starting your PT session. He made the mistake of not doing it only one time....takes a lot to make a big man cry.

2 people like this

DH and I work a crazy schedule, usually 4 on 2 off with an average 12 hour day. Our longevity on the job has given us the same two days off!  

In the winter we like to cross country ski in Jackson NH and downhill ski in Jay Peak Vermont. I should say that DH likes downhill skiing while I prefer cross country. I spend most of our time at Jay Peak sitting in front of a nice fire with a hot toddy watching DH ski downhill hoping he doesn't break a leg! 

@ Deb and Chrissy - I got a kick out of the fact that you both mentioned cross country skiing! I don't seem to hear of it very often, but one of my DBs really loved it and got his whole core family into it. He was a very skilled downhill skiier, but for whatever reason, came to prefer cross country. :)

So Rose, curious minds want to know Do you have any winter hobbies?

To my list I'd like to add

reading ( in someplace warm) sometimes with a glass of wine, but that is a year round hobby, cooking (using my oven to help keep warm). Shoveling snow that keeps me in shape. Looking for new seeds to plant in the catalogs.

Chrissy,

Enjoyed Jackson CX many, many years ago, liked ready made trail, Jay Peak VT  wow! way up there . Have you and DH tried my favorite Killington !  nice to see another  NEer

So Rose, curious minds want to know Do you have any winter hobbies?

Nothing specific, DJ. My hobbies are all of the year-round variety. :)

I may actually enjoy some of them, such as reading and journaling, more in the winter, though, come to think of it, simply b/c I'm indoors more.

Rose, CC skiing is free once you own the equipment.

My latest winter hobby is boat building,.....will need an ark soon due to all the rain (El Nino is back with  vengeance....and supposed to last into May)

@ Patty - Never thought of that! Maybe that was the reason, LOL, though DB was quite the big spender.

@ Mame - Sorry about all that rain! Will you include 2 of everything on your ark (she says laughingly)? :)

There a couple of things that won't be allowed on the boat.....can't complain about the rain....California is in a 4 year drought situation. These storms need to continue, yet may not completely resolve the drought situation....So its Big Girl panties and Wellies.....

1 person likes this

Rose, though we love downhill, when we cross country ski it's because the calorie burn is higher and the exercise is better than downhill. DH and I can put on our skis (or snow shoes), walk out the door and begin, with less heavy clothing and no waiting for anything. The other reason we cross country is because we can ski out and away from others, we can talk in total privacy. Quiet privacy is hard for us to come by at home, up at the Mountain, or on the lifts.

Last night we took the 8 big grands out to sled (safe, well lit sled hill) to get away from my nutty family and their nuttier families. Sledding is like cross country. Quiet, less crowded, better exercise, low cost, we can really visit with those gathered round. And there is a bonfire at the bottom of the sled hill. Our grands love fire and marshmallows. They had a wonderful time and likely slept well, we did.

The snow is beautiful here. As soon as everyone has snow clothes on (he has my xyz! where is my abc?) we're off.

LOL! Sounds like my DGC when they get ready to play in the snow. Spoke to YDD, today (we are all pretty much "snowed in" here, except for going out to shovel sidewalks, cars, etc). She said the kids happily went out w/ her to help shovel (to them, it's a treat!). Of course, they take"breaks" to play in the snow, etc., by YDD doesn't mind. When they're all done, she says she's going to take them sledding and/or maybe they'll build a snowman. IDK where they all get the energy! (Or you and DH either, for that matter, LOL!) But I used to do the same when I was a young mom (well, except DH did a lot of the shoveling part).

Your comments about cross country skiing are interesting to me. I imagine the "better exercise" was a major reason DB was so into it. He was very into health, exercise, etc.

Anyhow, sounds like you had fun w/ your grands! But 8 all at once - you and DH are very brave, LOL!