• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
LaToyaADMIN

Are you a grandparent?

Are you a grandparent?   852 votes

1. 1. Are you a grandparent?

• I'm a grandparent
    • I'm not a grandparent, but I am a parent (SIL/DIL)
    • Neither -- just here to browse

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

Just trying to get a feel for the new demographics here. 

3 people like this

I sorry but I don't see how to vote. I don't see any other replies. In any case I am a grandparent. 

Edited by Chat
Correct spelling
2 people like this

Well, I voted earlier, but now I don't see where to vote either.

1 person likes this

Same here, Sue.

@Chat - Since you haven't voted, you should see a bubble that says "Submit Vote" underneath the choices. If you do, then just mark off your answer and then hit Submit Vote. After that, the voting button seems to disappear (which is probably why you can't see it, anymore, Sue and homey - neither can I).

1 person likes this

Also, people, if you accidentally click on "Show Results" before you vote, your voting option will disappear. However, if you look at the lower left of the results, you should see a button that will bring you back to your voting choices. Again, all of this seems to disappear after you vote.

Funny thing, we have younger parents/DILs who come in here, but so far, I guess, none of them have voted in this thread. That may be partly b/c few of them have checked back in, these last couple of days, probably since the shutdown was so long.

Here is what I see. I don't see any option to vote. 

vote pic.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chat said:

Here is what I see. I don't see any option to vote. 

vote pic.jpg

This is odd, Chat. This is what you (general) are supposed to see after you've voted, not before.

@LatoyaADMIN - Is there a reason Chat is seeing it this way? Can you help her out?

Woohooo It just came up and let me vote!! Thanks again Latoya!

1 person likes this

i am a grandparent of 5 grandchildren and raising our oldest grandchild due to our sons death his farther our son in 08

3 hours ago, connie57 said:

i am a grandparent of 5 grandchildren and raising our oldest grandchild due to our sons death his farther our son in 08

My deepest condolences, Connie, on the loss of your DS (dear son). Bless you for being there of his child/your GC (grandchild)! In fact, we have a forum here specifically for GPs who are raising or often take care of their GC, etc.. You might like to check out this thread there:

Also, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum  Usually, I would lock it till the Lead Moderator of this forum had a chance to look at it. But since this was posted by an administrator and is featured in the upper-right corner of the screen, I'm going to pin it for now, instead, until either the admin or the LM can check it out.

Meanwhile, glad you came in to talk w/ us! Welcome!

Yes, I am a grandma of 2

Yes grandmother of a girl 

Help need angels

We went to the ones you trust for the truth to be heard,  and was not allowed to be heard on 05/12/2017 the court took my grandson away from us without any regards for his happiness or his wellbeing.  We are the only family he has ever known. After raising my grandson for seven and a half years the non biological father and his ex filled out online papers saying my grandson has lived with the non-biological dad all his life and that day  my grandson was taken(kidnapped).  The non-biological dad swore under oath that him and his ex wife raised him. That judge was in a hurry to get to park city. She did not care about my grandson,  me, or his blood family that day. I took medical records, tax records, school records, and more showing that I alone had been raising my grandson. She had told me I wasn't a party to the case which led them to kidnap him with the help of the court. Me, my grandson, and the biological-mother were never served. I listen to my grandsons cry on the court audio that day in front of the judge it is abuse at the highest level.  As of today he's still with these people that have no blood relation. We went to court so we could be heard and when I was in the court room the judge informed me that I am not a party to the case you are only hear as a witness, how can a public official make a decision so sudden and not care. This is such an unlawful act let me ask how would you feel taking your kid to court to talk to the judge and didn’t give him or me the time of day? I asked her if she could hold off  so I could get me and my grandson  legal help; she said no, and the only thing my grandson and the non-biological have in common is thay share last names so know he sets against  his wishes at my daughters ex boyfriend (Jose) ex wife's house the one that blames my daughter for destroying their marriage  know has her 8 yr old boy keeping in mind that neither  the too have any blood relation. what an unlawful  act of power force a boy out of his only home this has caused  me a huge emotional scare   let alone the trauma my grandson was and still is being put through on 05\12\2017 right in pettet court of physical emotional mental abuse of power at a level unimaginable worse than anything I pray to god and ask for help and answers we need some angels to come down and help us get him away from those who lied to god that swore under oath they raised him. The next day I hired an attorney the commissioner ordered me to pay for my grandson attorney as well and between the 2 lawyers and bills we are about to be without a home my grandson is the most important person he plays an important  role  in my life and means the world to me.

Ray, I am so sorry for the situation you and your grandson have found yourselves in.

Which of the biological parents is your adult child?  Had their ever been a legal custody hearing and were you the legal guardian of your grandson?  It seems like there might be some steps missing here and might be how this change of custody came about.

It seems to me that the biological parents might have a better chance of gaining custody than you as a grandfather.

Good luck with your future.

1 person likes this

Welcome, Ray! I'm glad you decided to reach out to us, even though I'm sorry it's under such unhappy circumstances. There are no "angels" here, I 'm afraid. just good people who will comfort, support & if needed, advise.

My heart was breaking as I read your story! How can a court take a child away from "the only family he has ever known" in this sudden and dramatic way and give them to someone else just upon that other person's say-so? Mindboggling!

No doubt, this is all very painful for you & yours. I wish I could say something to take away the hurt, but I know I can't. I just hope the adults taking care of GS now are doing all they can to help him adjust and be happy in his new situation.

I'm not sure if "family" includes just you & DD or if you have a DW (dear wife) in the picture, as well. Can you clarify? (Just trying to get a better picture.)

Regardless, I'm so sorry the judge refused to look at your documents. Since she said you were "not a party to the case," I take it that it was between the mom/your DD and her XBF? Have I got that right? Unfortunately, to my understanding, there is no "we" in court cases, even if you (general) go there in support of someone else. I understand you (personal) felt you were crucial to the case, especially since you have been so involved in GS' life. But I'm guessing only DD and her X were actually in litigation, which, apparently, makes them the only 2 "parties" to the case (please correct me if I have that wrong).

But I see you hired an attorney the day after GS was taken away. Is this lawyer for DD? Or have you started your own case? Either way, how has that been going? Have you or DD been allowed to see GS in all this time?

I see you also paid for an attorney for GS. If you don't mind another question, what's their take on this situation?

And yes, I know it's all very expensive, however, and I'm deeply sorry that it may cost you your home. But I guess that just shows how important this situation is to you, and I totally get that.

Meanwhile, I wish you all the strength and courage you need to deal w/ this miserable situation. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers ...

ETA: @SueSTx - If you reread Ray's post, you'll see he mentions both the "biological-mother" and "my daughter." So I take it that the bio-mom is his DD. Have I got that right, Ray?

Edited by RoseRed135
clarity

P.S. I admit I'm a little confused about the attorney for GS. I may be mistaken, but doesn't the court usually appoint an attorney for a child? Why didn't that happen in this case? (Hope I'm not asking too many questions. Please answer only what you feel comfortable answering.)

Edited by RoseRed135