• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Biographies & Historical Fiction

35 posts in this topic

I will definitely be reading more of her books!

1 person likes this

There was a book my mother owned that I read several years ago called Fauna by Denise Robins, I just could not put that book down. The story spanned three generations. It was a captivating story that broached complex issues for that particular time period.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7794209-fauna

Edited by RoseRed135
clicked edit by error

While I was on vacation, I read Love and Louis XIV, by Antonia Frasier. Since I so enjoyed Mistress of the Sun, as mentioned earlier, I was intrigued when I came upon this book that explores the "Sun King's" relationships w/ his other mistresses, as well as his wife/queen, mother, etc.

Nor was I disappointed. Not only did I get a broader perspective of Louis' relationships than in the other book (though it's still a favorite of mine), but I learned a lot about the ideas about relationships that held sway at the time. 

Also enjoyed Eleanor of Aquitaine, by Alison Weir. Read her life story as a teenager, actually, but this book, of course, is for adults and gave much more historical info, etc. Again, I learned a lot about the ideas about men, women and relationships that were popular during the person's lifetime.

Both books were well researched and well written, IMO. And they made for engaging reading w/o being "too heavy" for vacation. :)

Edited by RoseRed135

I never liked history in school and don't enjoy reading historical novels usually, but I have read many of the classics. 

Autobiographies are some of my favorites when I am looking for a "heavier" read.

I just started Humphrey Bogart, written by his son Stephen...

I love historical fiction, that's why I'm such a fan of John Jakes.

Have you read The Book Thief? WWII story set in a small town outside Munich....great character development.

Queen Victoria is one of my favorite people to read about. 

1 person likes this

As I mentioned in "What Are You Reading," I'm currently reading  Charlotte Chandler's The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: Bette Davis, a Personal Biography. It's based on extensive interviews w/ the famous actress and told mostly in her own words. Includes some fascinating details, IMO, on Davis' opinions, feelings, personal quirks, etc. Really enjoying it!

Recently read Marie Antoinette, by Antonia Fraser. A detailed account of the ill-fated woman's fate from birth to death. Found it fascinating!

On 2/22/2016 at 2:30 AM, RoseRed135 said:

These sound good, ladies!

And thanks,, Mame - I'll look into "The Kent Chronicles" soon!

I read the Kent Family Chronicles (actually devoured them).... Historical Fiction is a great genre of reading material.  Through my intense love of these type of books, I learned enough  to pass a CLEP (College for Life Experience) Test and got a credit in History.

4 people like this

After the Cheering Stops - by Cyndy Feasel