• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Mame925

(The New) What Are You Reading?

97 posts in this topic

Back to basics here....what are you currently reading? Why did you choose this particular book/author? Would you recommend this book?

Currently I am reading Belva Plain's Fortune's Hand. Set in Mississippi during the 70s/80s about an attorney struggling with his life...including jilting his college lover for a woman he met in law school, their subsequent marriage and children, including a son born with severe retardation...

I am curious to see where it all goes, I'm only 1/2 finished. I'm not as entranced with this one as I usually am with Plain's work (Evergreen & its sequels, a 5 volume experience, I think is her best work). 

So....now, what are you reading? 

I love Belva Plain also.

I just finished Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones.  It is a story about two street kids in New  Orleans.  Not a bad book at all, it had a couple of twists I wasn't expecting.  I'll look for another book by this author when I go to the library this week.

1 person likes this

I like to read  authors that have local ties.  For soft, fast reads.Authors that write about my geographic area, in fiction . I like Chris Bohjalian, he writes about New England and Vermont. He  spoke at my DD's college a few times to the students.  He makes the scene real and characters real, like you know them, if you know the area. It makes if you wonder,  if  he wrote about  Susie Q at the grain store or Kathy D. at the dinner.
Another author which writes about New England fiction, I enjoy as a quick read is Elin Hiderbrand.  Cape Cod, and the Island are the areas she writes about, but uses names of real places like stores and beaches.

I have also been reading  the series written  Bill O  "The Killing  of ......"   I'm still trying to figure out where he gets his historical facts.  

Just love to read !! 

Edited by DaisyJane
clarify

Just finished reading We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. It's about the daughter of Irish immigrants, growing up in the 1940s and 50s, seeking the American dream and learning a lot along the way. It was a gift from ODD, who had read and enjoyed it and felt I would like it, too. (I did.)

Hmmm... I used to give/recommend books to my DDs (still do sometimes) - now it's often the other way around, LOL!

Edited by RoseRed135

Now reading the book YDD gave me for MDay - A Cup of Comfort for Mothers & Daughters. Edited by Colleen Sell, it's a collection of  apparently true stories about moms and daughters at various stages of life and a perfect MD gift, IMO. The anecdotes aren't as "sappy" as might be expected either. Oh sure, there's lots of sentimentality about the "mother/daughter bond." But there are also some painful moments and COs/TOs described, etc. And no doubt, it will inspire some topics for this community! :)

I just finished The Little Ways of Ruthie Leming written by Rod Dreher. I bought it at the Dollar Store, of all places. I was about 1/2 way through it before i discovered it's a true story....Dreher's younger sister Ruthie died at the age of 43 from a particularly aggressive lung cancer, leaving a husband and 3 daughters. The basis of the book is seeing the amazing yet simple life his sister lived in their small Louisiana hometown and how she affected the lives of those around her thru his eyes and trying figure out where he's come up short in his very successful life out in the greater world.

I generally do my best reading for about 15 minutes at bedtime and this one had me in tears most nights. Its wonderfully well written.

I've started a reread of the John Jakes trilogy North & South. It's been a good number of years since the original read (and I'm still trying to shake off the movie version....as much as I loved Patrick Swayze, the movie was poorly cast).

9 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I've started a reread of the John Jakes trilogy North & South. It's been a good number of years since the original read (and I'm still trying to shake off the movie version....as much as I loved Patrick Swayze, the movie was poorly cast).

That is a good series.  Did you ever read his other books, started out with "The Bastard" and I believe there were 6 or 7 more books?  It's been quite a while since I read those, but they were also very good.

Yes, The Kent Chronicles! One of my favorite series ever. I got so engrossed in those that I forgot who was real and who was fictional. Jakes remains one of my favorite authors. His research & character development are flawless. I waited breathlessly for each new volume when the series was new....kept me busy for years....

1 person likes this

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (again ..)

I put The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney and Hamilton: The Revolution on hold at the library-

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (again ..)

I've read this one...once so far....I'm planning a reread as I start my deep cleaning over the summer

1 person likes this

On 6/16/2016 at 11:10 PM, Mame925 said:

I've read this one...once so far....I'm planning a reread as I start my deep cleaning over the summer

With menopause came fatigue. Projects that would take one a few hours can take me a few days. Ive had to master a "keep at it" mindset in order to complete tasks. However some days are better than others and I go like gangbusters. I was worried when the fatige set in, kept going to the doctor .. lol .. But she was like look, the best remedy for fatige is activity. So I followed her advice and found that most days activity is the best remedy. But some days my body is like, no, not happening. Im into my third deep clean .. lol .. but have to admit its a life changing process that has taken several go rounds to get used to. But it has gotten way easier to maintain with most things having their right place..

The book I mentioned, The Nest .. Im having trouble liking the characters ..

Right now I'm reading Me Before You

I am reading Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami. Very interesting read, albeit a bit confusing at times. Afterwards I will probably give the new Harry Potter plays a try, although I am a bit skeptical.

I loved the Harry Potter series....and will also be checking out the plays....Historically I've haven't enjoyed reading plays, I prefer narrative. However, I love Shakespeare, so go figure!

I'm finishing up the 3rd book in John Jakes' North & South Trilogy so will be looking for my next read shortly.

1 person likes this

The Bridge Ladies ..

The Bridge Ladies .. meh .. ok ..

Chipping away at these ..

The Mysterious Benedict Society

I've Got Sand In All the Wrong Places

Mrs Kennedy and Me

Five Presidents

The Silent Wife

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

The Bridge Ladies .. meh .. ok ..

Chipping away at these ..

The Mysterious Benedict Society

I've Got Sand In All the Wrong Places

Mrs Kennedy and Me

Five Presidents

The Silent Wife

How do you read so many at once? I've sometimes read 2 books at the same time, but 5? Wow! I think I'd get confused, LOL!

18 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

How do you read so many at once? I've sometimes read 2 books at the same time, but 5? Wow! I think I'd get confused, LOL!

I'm in a reading rut! I can't seem to get "really" interested in any of the books I've picked up for some time- Has that ever happened to you?

2 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I'm in a reading rut! I can't seem to get "really" interested in any of the books I've picked up for some time- Has that ever happened to you?

Absolutely! Now and then, there has been a period in my life when just no book I chose really captured my interest. But when I look back, I think those few times were when I just had too much on my mind and/or my interests were seriously changing. Don't know if that's the same for you, of course.

2 people like this

Its not uncommon for me to have 2-3 books going at the same time.....used to drive DH totally over the edge....

I just finished the North & South Trilogy by John Jakes (North & South, Love & War, Heaven & Hell)....like all of Jakes' works stupendously well researched, great character development with some odd plot twists....I wish he'd come out with a new series.

In the meantime, I'm reading Nothing To Do But Stay by Carrie Young. She tells the story of her Norwegian mother homesteading alone on the North Dakota prairie in the early 20th century. Great glimpse into the homesteading experience.

Also, PUSH! A Novel by Sapphire. I've never seen the movie, so thought I'd read the book first.

2 people like this

We go to the county library a couple of times a month and it isn't unusual for us to check out 8 or 10 books at a time.  Sometimes I am reading a paperback while in the tub, an easy reader "romance" while riding my recumbent bike, something dull while wandering off from home with hubby and something that will put me to sleep at bedtime.  If I do get ahold of a true page turner, I might not put it down until I finish even if it is overnight and into the next day.

Retirement is grand when you get involved in a good book.

2 people like this

On 8/15/2016 at 2:06 PM, SueSTx said:

We go to the county library a couple of times a month and it isn't unusual for us to check out 8 or 10 books at a time.  Sometimes I am reading a paperback while in the tub, an easy reader "romance" while riding my recumbent bike, something dull while wandering off from home with hubby and something that will put me to sleep at bedtime.  If I do get ahold of a true page turner, I might not put it down until I finish even if it is overnight and into the next day.

Retirement is grand when you get involved in a good book.

I used to read in the tub too! And almost always got the book wet, not to the point of ruin but ..

Page turners .. I cherish them! I've not stumbled upon one in a while and think its why I'm in a reading rut ..

Komorebi...if you like "who done its" try something by John Sandford, I haven't read anything of his that isn't spellbinding.

I am currently reading  "Ruby" by Cynthia Bond,  an Oprah Book Club pick.  It is lyrical and beautiful prose.  Since I have just started it I cannot give an accurate description of the story itself---but I know it is a story of race conflict set in the 1950's in rural Texas----and it is also a love story.  So it is just up my ally!

2 people like this