• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Mame925

(The New) What Are You Reading?

100 posts in this topic

Just read "black dove" by ana castillo...wonderful autobiography of a well educated Latina American woman...details her upbringing and experiences as a person of color in the 20th and 21st century..thoroughly enjoyed each page..

Also reading "yellow" by Frank H.Wu, a Chinese American lawyer and law school professor at Predominantly African American Howard University in Washington,DC..wonderful insight for me into the experience of other Americans of color...I am an African American female.

1 person likes this

Welcome, marilyn, happy to have to you join us. You will find support and camaraderie here.

If that is your email address, we encourage you to change your user name to something less identifying....we're big on anonymity and privacy as a personal safety issue.

Hi New Member! Sounds like you've been doing some very interesting reading!

I hope you follow Mame's advice about changing your username for greater privacy. To see how to do so, just click on the following thread in MIL Anonymous:

Welcome new member ... I will third the advice to change your name.  I enjoy a good autobiography I'll give these books a try.

I grew up in a small rural town in central Texas in the 50's and 60's and I really can't remember a lot of conflict...but I did enjoy reading "The Help" (so telling) so I'll look into "Ruby."

I do remember the integration of our schools the year I was a freshman.  There were no public conflicts and none on campus that I can remember.

1 person likes this

I just read The Rainbow Comes and Goes by Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper.  I also saw the documentary about this book on HBO.    I loved this book.  First, this mother/son relationship is so endearing and unconditional.  Second, I really admire Gloria Vanderbilt's resiliency.  Despite being raised with such privilege, she endured very difficult times from the loss of her nanny as a child who meant so much to her, to the sudden death of her husband, to the suicide of her son that happened right in front of her, to the estrangement from another son, to rejection from the Vanderbilt clan who appeared to not completely accept her as a Vanderbilt.  She has lived such a full life and is 92 or so, and still gets into her studio to paint and create art and is just so youthful in her spirit and mind and outlook on life.  She is a very inspiring person.  The book was also a good reminder that everyone faces difficulty in life even the people who outwardly seem to have it all.  A highly recommend read.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, BSW said:

I just read The Rainbow Comes and Goes by Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper.  I also saw the documentary about this book on HBO.    I loved this book.  First, this mother/son relationship is so endearing and unconditional.  Second, I really admire Gloria Vanderbilt's resiliency.  Despite being raised with such privilege, she endured very difficult times from the loss of her nanny as a child who meant so much to her, to the sudden death of her husband, to the suicide of her son that happened right in front of her, to the estrangement from another son, to rejection from the Vanderbilt clan who appeared to not completely accept her as a Vanderbilt.  She has lived such a full life and is 92 or so, and still gets into her studio to paint and create art and is just so youthful in her spirit and mind and outlook on life.  She is a very inspiring person.  The book was also a good reminder that everyone faces difficulty in life even the people who outwardly seem to have it all.  A highly recommend read.

Thanks for sharing your review of the book! It was an enjoyable read, what a journey they've shared and their ability forgive and understand each other, very inspiring- And I love her art! For someone with such a painful past, her pieces are joyful and fun- I'd read it again-

Edited by Komorebi
spelling ..

14 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Welcome new member ... I will third the advice to change your name.  I enjoy a good autobiography I'll give these books a try.

I grew up in a small rural town in central Texas in the 50's and 60's and I really can't remember a lot of conflict...but I did enjoy reading "The Help" (so telling) so I'll look into "Ruby."

I do remember the integration of our schools the year I was a freshman.  There were no public conflicts and none on campus that I can remember.

The Help is one of my personal favorites of all time- Also thought the movie was pretty amazing-

PS I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite character ..

Edited by Komorebi

On 8/25/2016 at 2:49 PM, marilynjg@aol.com said:

Just read "black dove" by ana castillo...wonderful autobiography of a well educated Latina American woman...details her upbringing and experiences as a person of color in the 20th and 21st century..thoroughly enjoyed each page..

Also reading "yellow" by Frank H.Wu, a Chinese American lawyer and law school professor at Predominantly African American Howard University in Washington,DC..wonderful insight for me into the experience of other Americans of color...I am an African American female.

If you enjoy memoirs, you might enjoy The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy- (I had no idea the great Santini was Pat Conroy's father..) Another fascinating read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot- I see it's now being made into a movie-

One day, during the time between the end of camp and the start of my DGC's school, I took them to the library (mom was already back at college). After they chose some books and went to play on the computers, I decided to browse through the adult books, looking for a few titles mentioned here, actually (the kids' and adult libes are all on one floor, so I wasn't far from my granddoll, no worries). Instead, I found an intriguing book by Helene Cooper called, The House on Sugar Beach. Cooper is an American journalist who was born and raised in Liberia. The book is about her growing up years there.  I'm finding her detailed description of her life quite fascinating, as well as her insights into the country.

Edited by RoseRed135

Now i am reading ----"The Expats"  by Chris Pavone  
A spy novel set in Luxembourg and France----I cannot put it down for long!!

12 hours ago, smallangelheart73 said:

Now i am reading ----"The Expats"  by Chris Pavone  
A spy novel set in Luxembourg and France----I cannot put it down for long!!

" We can only be said to be ALIVE in those moments when our HEARTS ARE CONSCIOUS OF OUR TREASURE!"  Thornton Wilder

Edited by RoseRed135
duplicate quote

I just received "Adventures in Grocery Shopping" by Dan May. Dan is actually a professional singer/songwriter who has a truly loopy sense of awareness. He writes goofy essays he posts on Facebook. We badgered him into collecting them into a book, now recently published. He's wonderfully articulate.

Currently, I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's not the kind of book I usually read, but ODD got it for me b/c it's about a man who goes back in time to try, among other things, to foil the assassination of JFK. She thought I would enjoy it b/c of the history angle and, more specifically, b/c she knows that was a major event in my lifetime. She was right - it gripped my attention from the first and though it's a long book, I'm finding it reads quite quickly and easily.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

Currently, I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's not the kind of book I usually read, but ODD got it for me b/c it's about a man who goes back in time to try, among other things, to foil the assassination of JFK. She thought I would enjoy it b/c of the history angle and, more specifically, b/c she knows that was a major event in my lifetime. She was right - it gripped my attention from the first and though it's a long book, I'm finding it reads quite quickly and easily.

I enjoyed it as well-

1 person likes this

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

13 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

I've seen that around....let me know what you think

I am getting ready to re-read the Harry Potter series, and may read the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb after my Mom finishes it.

I'm shopping around for books for the GK as part of Christmas. A clerk in a bookstore gave the heads up on a couple of middle reader novels written by Stephen Hawkings' daughter....he is listed a co-author, apparently he provided the physics used in the plot...nice to know it will be accurate. My middle readers are both extremely intuitive, so if something catches their attention to try out, at least their info is accurate....

1 person likes this

Finished the Stephen King book... Now reading The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: Bette Davis, a Personal Biography, by Charlotte Chandler. Fascinating book about the famous and much beloved actress.

@Komorebi - I'm another one who's interested in Z. Like Mame, I'd appreciate it if you tell us what you think.

Edited by RoseRed135

Thus far Z has been a chore to read- But what FINALLY is pulling me out of my reading rut (which has been ongoing for some time now) is The Light Between Oceans- I'm thoroughly enjoying it-

On 9/22/2016 at 9:34 AM, Mame925 said:

I just received "Adventures in Grocery Shopping" by Dan May. Dan is actually a professional singer/songwriter who has a truly loopy sense of awareness. He writes goofy essays he posts on Facebook. We badgered him into collecting them into a book, now recently published. He's wonderfully articulate.

I finally started this last night....2-3 pages for each essay. Its organized into subject areas, so we're reliving some of his childhood as the middle of 7 kids in northern Ohio in the 60s....so far its a great, easy read, highly entertaining. He's most articulate with a great eye for the details of daily life.

He writes all his own songs, has a killer back up band. Here's a sample, its my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJYm-8w2yM&index=21&list=PLrGCgQPUKQMM2U5TK_Ne-FXlf9NsoVOkk

Just read ADVENTURES IN GROCERY SHOPPING - Friday Edition - #627 - "Prehistoric Chicken" and it had me in tears- I googled him and found a posting on Facebook-

1 person likes this

Enjoyed The Light Between Oceans- I tried to read A Life In Parts by Bryan Cranston .. did read Two By Two by Nicholas Sparks and have to say it's my least favorite of his books, all of which I've read- Right now I'm reading Frontier Grit by Marianne Monson- A Goodreads member summed it up perfectly: "  Her introduction shows her enthusiasm for her work, sadly her writing does not." But the ladies she wrote about are so amazing and inspiring! If you see the book at the library, or store, I strongly suggest you take the time to read the brief introduction-

After both Sue and Mame spoke of it, decided to read The Help and am finding it both intriguing and mindboggling!

2 people like this

Good description, Rose. I found it wonderfully well written and tuned into the times. 

1 person likes this