• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

"Oh wow. They're moving back in!"

26 posts in this topic

Has your adult son or daughter moved back in w/ you or did they ever in the past? If so, how did this come about? Did they bring family w/ them? And, if you will, how has this impacted/did this impact your life, if at all?

Or, if you've (ever) moved in w/ them, what's the reason? And how has that situation affected/did it affect you, if at all?

Edited by RoseRed135
size or type

I've been thinking for awhile on what to post about our YDS, DIL and 3 grands (ages 5, 8, 10) that have lived with us for the past year.  This gives me a good opportunity.   Last year, they decided they wanted to move closer to family, along with getting kids into better school system.  They asked if they could move in with us until they sold their house/bought a new one/built a house.  But wanted to do it befoe the school year started in Sept.  They sold their house in less than a month and moved.  Our 3 bedroom rambler went from 2 people to 7, plus a dog.  It's been a year and a month and they are going to be moving into their newly built house in the next few weeks.  They used to live about an hour from us, now it's 15 minutes to us and just down the road from DIL's FOO.  The main thing with living with us is that they are able to save money and get the kids into the new school.  But, before they moved in, I figured out how it would affect our living cost, such as electricity, food and even garbage pick up.  They give me a check each month to cover this.

All in all, things have gone well, but as you can imagine, yes, it has been a big impact on DH and myself.  DH and I are both retired, and I think that helped a lot.  I can't imagine doing it, plus going to work every day.  We helped get the kids fed before school (no more sleeping in).  Didn't have to, but enjoy doing it and it helps out.  Since YDS and DIL both work, we are here for the kids after school and if needed, will pick them up after activities.  

This past summer, I was the Granny/Nanny.  I volunteered for this since they would be here with us and why find day care?  But, I did ask to get paid for my time.  This involved a lot of running to summer activities, plus fixing meals.  There were days that were pretty long, but it also got me out of the house.  

DH and I both love being able to spend the time with the grands while they're here. DH does a lot of reading to them at night.  I've taught them all what "oldies" music is and now they can all hear the first few bars of a song and start singing along to a song.  They also know that if "Chain Of Fools" comes on, it's a must that they get up and dance!   Younger DGD has learned what yellow tag clearance means.  And when I say I'm old, they correct me and say I'm "mature".  But occasionally, it comes out "manure" (I think on purpose.)  I think it was the first month they were here, we suddenly heard the younger DGD give out a squeal.  She came running in, holding her shoe, saying "I did it!  I did it!"  She had learned to tie her shoe.  We would have had some of these experiences anyway, but I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to help them out.

I am one of the very fortunate MILs that has a wonderful DIL that I love to spend time with.  She is such a good, easy going person, that there was no question that we could make this work.  Sure, there are times that I could go crazy with a very cluttered table or kitchen counter, but I just remind myself that it won't be forever and look the other way.  Same with the kids toys in the corners of the living room.  They're kids, they need toys.  I'm sure I'll miss the clutter in a few weeks.

It's interesting in the fact that all of the clutter has only started bothering me in the past month or so.  I think part of it is that YDS and DIL have been so busy working on their house ( 8 hours of work, then another 4 or 5 at the house), that they come home exhausted and haven't picked up quite like they were at first.  I really can't fault them that.  But in the back of my mind, I also think I'm beginning to feel the empty next that's coming and it's hitting on me.

It's been a good year and we'll be sad when it's over.  But as DH and I have both said, they're going to miss us, too.  After all, we've been their day care, cook, personal shopper,etc.   I think one of the biggest things that has also made it work is that they frequently tell us how much they appreciate what we're doing to help them.  And every so often, DIL will just give us a hug with a thanks.  That means more than anything (except maybe the hugs from the kids).

One last thing I need to add is that before this, yes, I was one of those MILs who would say we didn't see them as much as we'd like, and how they spent more time with DIL's FOO.  But they asked to live with us.   So, for those who are sad and hurt that they aren't seeing their AC and grands, like so many have said before, just be the easy one, sit back and wait and you never know what will happen.  

9 people like this

3 hours ago, Debs53 said:

I've been thinking for awhile on what to post about our YDS, DIL and 3 grands (ages 5, 8, 10) that have lived with us for the past year.  This gives me a good opportunity.   Last year, they decided they wanted to move closer to family, along with getting kids into better school system.  They asked if they could move in with us until they sold their house/bought a new one/built a house.  But wanted to do it befoe the school year started in Sept.  They sold their house in less than a month and moved.  Our 3 bedroom rambler went from 2 people to 7, plus a dog.  It's been a year and a month and they are going to be moving into their newly built house in the next few weeks.  They used to live about an hour from us, now it's 15 minutes to us and just down the road from DIL's FOO.  The main thing with living with us is that they are able to save money and get the kids into the new school.  But, before they moved in, I figured out how it would affect our living cost, such as electricity, food and even garbage pick up.  They give me a check each month to cover this.

All in all, things have gone well, but as you can imagine, yes, it has been a big impact on DH and myself.  DH and I are both retired, and I think that helped a lot.  I can't imagine doing it, plus going to work every day.  We helped get the kids fed before school (no more sleeping in).  Didn't have to, but enjoy doing it and it helps out.  Since YDS and DIL both work, we are here for the kids after school and if needed, will pick them up after activities.  

This past summer, I was the Granny/Nanny.  I volunteered for this since they would be here with us and why find day care?  But, I did ask to get paid for my time.  This involved a lot of running to summer activities, plus fixing meals.  There were days that were pretty long, but it also got me out of the house.  

DH and I both love being able to spend the time with the grands while they're here. DH does a lot of reading to them at night.  I've taught them all what "oldies" music is and now they can all hear the first few bars of a song and start singing along to a song.  They also know that if "Chain Of Fools" comes on, it's a must that they get up and dance!   Younger DGD has learned what yellow tag clearance means.  And when I say I'm old, they correct me and say I'm "mature".  But occasionally, it comes out "manure" (I think on purpose.)  I think it was the first month they were here, we suddenly heard the younger DGD give out a squeal.  She came running in, holding her shoe, saying "I did it!  I did it!"  She had learned to tie her shoe.  We would have had some of these experiences anyway, but I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to help them out.

I am one of the very fortunate MILs that has a wonderful DIL that I love to spend time with.  She is such a good, easy going person, that there was no question that we could make this work.  Sure, there are times that I could go crazy with a very cluttered table or kitchen counter, but I just remind myself that it won't be forever and look the other way.  Same with the kids toys in the corners of the living room.  They're kids, they need toys.  I'm sure I'll miss the clutter in a few weeks.

It's interesting in the fact that all of the clutter has only started bothering me in the past month or so.  I think part of it is that YDS and DIL have been so busy working on their house ( 8 hours of work, then another 4 or 5 at the house), that they come home exhausted and haven't picked up quite like they were at first.  I really can't fault them that.  But in the back of my mind, I also think I'm beginning to feel the empty next that's coming and it's hitting on me.

It's been a good year and we'll be sad when it's over.  But as DH and I have both said, they're going to miss us, too.  After all, we've been their day care, cook, personal shopper,etc.   I think one of the biggest things that has also made it work is that they frequently tell us how much they appreciate what we're doing to help them.  And every so often, DIL will just give us a hug with a thanks.  That means more than anything (except maybe the hugs from the kids).

One last thing I need to add is that before this, yes, I was one of those MILs who would say we didn't see them as much as we'd like, and how they spent more time with DIL's FOO.  But they asked to live with us.   So, for those who are sad and hurt that they aren't seeing their AC and grands, like so many have said before, just be the easy one, sit back and wait and you never know what will happen.  

What a refreshing post, Deb! It made my night! Kudos to you all for making things work the way you did! :give_rose:

And yes, you'll miss each other. But, IMO, that only shows how much you enjoyed this year together. And, happily, they won't be too far away! :)

2 people like this

I agree, totally refreshing post! It's great you (Deb) made it work-

Oldest moved back home last month- Single guy- Does his own thing, is helpful, kicks in financially, follows rules and is a joy to be around- We think we might keep him .. if he wishes to stick around-

2 people like this

We were lucky that the move was for a good reason, with them relocating and building.  I know that not everyone has this option.  I will say that if you don't get along before the move, don't expect it to happen after they move in.  Plus, set up things before hand, re expenses, etc.

I loved taking care of the kids for the summer, but think one summer was enough. :)   It only made sense this year.  They were here at the house, would have been tough to find day care for 3 just for the summer months.  At times, it was hard to step back and let the parents do their thing in the evening when they were home.  The kids would sometimes come and ask me something.  I'd refer them to their parents. 

Another thing I learned is that working parents with kids are BUSY!  They get home, sometimes late due to after school activities, have supper, homework, showers and bed.  And we wonder why they don't call? And there just isn't time for Skype.   It's been an eye opener on many things, 

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, Debs53 said:

We were lucky that the move was for a good reason, with them relocating and building.

YAY. Great update. Our move in wasn't for nice reasons, but we're delighted they're happily filling our old home.

As I remember your kids have use of your basement; extra bedrooms, bath, game room. I believe having enough space helps smooth things out in these situations. Like you, we have enough space; bedrooms, bath, basement game room, storage.

For us, especially as old as we are, room to be separate is a priority, actually a necessity.

Now, if sweet baby would just stop screaming, start sleeping and magically move past the terrible twos.  :lazy:

2 people like this

Our house is a small rambler style.  They moved their beds in downstairs and stored most everything else.  Downstairs, we have 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and family room.  The three kids have shared the bedroom, but about the only time they're down there is to sleep.  YDS and DIL will spend some time in family room downstairs, but spend as much upstairs with us.  It has worked amazingly well.  My DIL is a wizard at organizing and finding places to put all their clothes, etc.  

2 people like this

Although I’m happy for those of you whose experiences were/are good ones I can’t say the same was true for us.  When our youngest daughter left an abusive domestic situation and came to live with us with her 2 small children (a grandson at 3 months old and a granddaughter at 3 ½ yrs. old) our lives as we knew them were turned upside down.  We were very happy that she found the courage to leave and were happy to open our home to them at such a difficult time.  It has been far from smooth sailing since then and fraught with many frustrations and challenges.  It has taken a lot of strength and adjustments from both sides to keep things civil and mostly manageable.  There were/are so many factors at work against us that at times my husband and I struggled at times to see the “upside” of the situation and tried very hard to not to let the difficulties overwhelm us.  We love our daughter and grandchildren dearly and were happy to give them a safe place to land.  Unfortunately, both sides were not prepared for all the adjustments and sacrifices that come along with such a move so they have not all been happy ones. True there have been many "good times" they have been well out numbered by the stressful ones. We are moving her and the children to a place of their own this weekend and although I have many concerns about this move I feel that in the end it will be a benefit for all of us. 

1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

Although I’m happy for those of you whose experiences were/are good ones I can’t say the same was true for us.  When our youngest daughter left an abusive domestic situation and came to live with us with her 2 small children (a grandson at 3 months old and a granddaughter at 3 ½ yrs. old) our lives as we knew them were turned upside down.  We were very happy that she found the courage to leave and were happy to open our home to them at such a difficult time.  It has been far from smooth sailing since then and fraught with many frustrations and challenges.  It has taken a lot of strength and adjustments from both sides to keep things civil and mostly manageable.  There were/are so many factors at work against us that at times my husband and I struggled at times to see the “upside” of the situation and tried very hard to not to let the difficulties overwhelm us.  We love our daughter and grandchildren dearly and were happy to give them a safe place to land.  Unfortunately, both sides were not prepared for all the adjustments and sacrifices that come along with such a move so they have not all been happy ones. True there have been many "good times" they have been well out numbered by the stressful ones. We are moving her and the children to a place of their own this weekend and although I have many concerns about this move I feel that in the end it will be a benefit for all of us. 

Good to hear from you, again, Razz! And trust me, there are many families in this situation that find it less than ideal. We've heard from them here before, even if they're not necessarily posting in this thread.

Glad you and yours found ways to adjust, even though it was difficult. And glad that YDD and family are moving out this weekend, giving both "sides" some more "space" (I don't just mean physically). Please let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this

@Razzberry - Well, it's been about a week since they were to move out. Hope it went smoothly. Have you heard from them since or are they too busy getting settled? And how are you and DH doing?

@RoseRed135 thanks for asking.  The physical move itself was a nightmare!  Friday was supposed to be the final packing day and because the move was to another city 4 hours away (and where they originally lived) we were supposed to leave early Sat. morning.  The truck we rented for the weekend ended up in a different pick up location an hour away so right from the start our schedule was thrown off as we had to finish loading the truck the next day.  There was just DH and I at this end doing all the packing and loading as YDD took care of the children and her dog.  It poured rain both days which made the 4 hr. drive very stressful.  Fortunately we did get some help on the other end from the Ex. and a friend with the unloading. It still took us until 10:00 pm to finish all of it and we had to be there bright and early the next day.  

We've spoken to them a couple of times since then and they are settling in to their new place and a whole new routine (no on the spot child care). From what we can tell they are enjoying their new "freedom" and living space.  Although I'm loving having my own home back along with our old routine I still have major concerns over the move.  I'm trying to let those worries go and let her learn to stand on her own 2 feet but it's difficult when there are grandchildren to consider.  There are some big financial worries as she waits for government benefits that could take a month or two to get started.  She's very fortunate that the Ex. really wants his children close and is helping her out until that happens. In the meantime DH and I have been "decompressing" and have been busy putting things back to order in our house.  It's been hard for me as I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - if you know what I mean. 

At any rate thank you for asking.  I know that many people would think that I'd be doing the "happy dance" and maybe in time (and the money comes through) I will be. 

1 person likes this

On 10/14/2016 at 9:42 AM, Razzberry said:

@RoseRed135 thanks for asking.  The physical move itself was a nightmare!  Friday was supposed to be the final packing day and because the move was to another city 4 hours away (and where they originally lived) we were supposed to leave early Sat. morning.  The truck we rented for the weekend ended up in a different pick up location an hour away so right from the start our schedule was thrown off as we had to finish loading the truck the next day.  There was just DH and I at this end doing all the packing and loading as YDD took care of the children and her dog.  It poured rain both days which made the 4 hr. drive very stressful.  Fortunately we did get some help on the other end from the Ex. and a friend with the unloading. It still took us until 10:00 pm to finish all of it and we had to be there bright and early the next day.  

We've spoken to them a couple of times since then and they are settling in to their new place and a whole new routine (no on the spot child care). From what we can tell they are enjoying their new "freedom" and living space. Good!  Although I'm loving having my own home back along with our old routine I still have major concerns over the move.  I'm trying to let those worries go and let her learn to stand on her own 2 feet but it's difficult when there are grandchildren to consider.  There are some big financial worries as she waits for government benefits that could take a month or two to get started.  She's very fortunate that the Ex. really wants his children close and is helping her out until that happens. In the meantime DH and I have been "decompressing" and have been busy putting things back to order in our house.  It's been hard for me as I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - if you know what I mean. 

Totally know what you mean! From what I've read and seen, it can take as much time to adjust after AC and family leave as when they move in. And since there are concerns about money - well, not really your issue, of course, but I understand that a mom/GM still worries. :)

At any rate thank you for asking.  I know that many people would think that I'd be doing the "happy dance" and maybe in time (and the money comes through) I will be. 

You're more than welcome. And yes, I'm sure you'll adjust - and "exhale," so to speak - in time. :)

Some posts in this thread have been hidden. They may or may not be restored in their entirety.

To Beth - Hi! Good to see you back! Please see the PM I sent you. Thanks! :)

Edited by RoseRed135

My oldest daughter moved out at 19, got her own apt. had a nice bank account but a few years down the road she lost her job due to her BF and used up her bank account. She was to only be home for a year but it turned into 5 years...she has finally moved out and has a room mate....

6 minutes ago, Hope49 said:

My oldest daughter moved out at 19, got her own apt. had a nice bank account but a few years down the road she lost her job due to her BF and used up her bank account. She was to only be home for a year but it turned into 5 years...she has finally moved out and has a room mate....

I hope she dumped the BF

She did not dump the BF, she has been with him now for about 11-12 yrs.

@Hope49 - Just wondering how things are going w/ ODD (oldest dear daughter) and her new apartment. Do you find yourself missing her in your home? Or is life easier now that she lives somewhere else? Or both?

My oldest daughter is doing good on a new career path at the moment....My youngest daughter moved 200 miles away with her boyfriend and my son just moved out a week ago with his girlfriend....I miss them all but it is nice right now to see them on their own. I still have custody of my granddaughter whom is walking now and will be a year old this month.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Hope49 said:

My oldest daughter is doing good on a new career path at the moment....My youngest daughter moved 200 miles away with her boyfriend and my son just moved out a week ago with his girlfriend....I miss them all but it is nice right now to see them on their own. I still have custody of my granddaughter whom is walking now and will be a year old this month.

Thanks for updating us, Hope!

But wait... the GF that DS moved out with - is that your GD's mom? Or a new GF? Or do I have things confused?

Regardless, I wish you all well. And hope you keep us posted!

Edited by RoseRed135

23 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Thanks for updating us, Hope!

But wait... the GF that DS moved out with - is that your GD's mom? Or a new GF? Or do I have things confused?

Regardless, I wish you all well. And hope you keep us posted!

not my GDs mom another GF my son has been dating for the past year.

1 hour ago, Hope49 said:

not my GDs mom another GF my son has been dating for the past year.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, Hope!

Posted (edited)

Note: This post has been moved here from a now-locked thread in this same forum...

LifeIsGal220

•  
  • LifeIsGal220
  • New Members
  • 1 post

Our daughter, son-in-love, and 4 year old Grandboy have been living with us to save money since last Spring, with plans to move into their own home after Christmas.  The family dynamics have definitely changed and it's been a difficult process for all of us.  Before the move-in, I was considered the Super Grandmama who could do no wrong, and be called on no matter what time day, or night, to help out with the Grandboy, whether it was due to job scheduling conflicts, car problems, stomach virus, or the 4 life threatening surgeries that our daughter had to endure.  Our family has always rallied together to help each other through crises and I can honestly say that it's never felt like a burden for me to help them, it's been a blessing.  This is how we love.

I've had a very close and special relationship with the Grandboy due to being his main caregiver during the many times that it was necessary for him to stay with us; oftentimes for the better part of a week.  He's always been a more reserved, observant, type of child, and our times together typically followed a set routine because it helped him deal with the chaos of whatever was happening. Since he could talk, he has been very vocal about his preferences and dislikes, but not his fears, and I was willing to honor that.  As a result, he and I have had a Tom Sawyer, comrades-in-adventure, kind of relationship.  We have adventures, and I listen to what he wants to communicate.  But what he chooses to keep private, I watch for and adjust our adventure accordingly to give him the space to deal with his fears.  In our home, he has a closet nook for his Papa-made bed, spare clothes, and some toys for his adventures and sleepovers.  We had a set routine that he could trust in while at Grandmama's house, even when things got crazy in other places.  Because he was with me so often, I was also responsible for carrying out their disciplinary actions like time-outs and take-aways (though I really hated taking a toy because he was stressed, or tired and acting cranky).  But after a while, Grandboy started throwing tantrums when they would drop him off, but immediately after they left, he was fine.  I chalked it up to just the stress of not knowing what might happen next as this was not long after his Mama had the surgeries.  When they all moved in, Grandboy took over the whole of his room and DD and SIL were given another room for their own.  We thought that all could be well.

Now, before the move-in, there had been one issue with my SIL who mistakenly thought that I had intentionally ignored his personal dietary restrictions against giving the GB a certain water flavorer, but once clarified, I complied immediately, and one issue where my DD had a meltdown due to believing I had made her late for work, and was ready to drive away in a rage with the Grandboy.  Thankfully I was able to get her to leave him with me.  Sadly, there seems to have been no resolution for them on those issues because after they moved in, I started to notice more of a problem in the way our Grandboy was acting around me.  

My husband, our daughter, and our Son-in-love, are very high/fast energy people, while my brother (with whom DH and I share our childhood home), myself, and the Grandboy are much lower energy people.  By this I mean that they are quicker to speak on, or act on, the emotions of the moment (this can be a good thing when motivating someone else, or taking on a physical job), while the rest of us are more likely to observe, think, and process through the issues (often we are the Counselors)  Sadly, since moving in, there have been a few outbursts and conflicts that escalated to shouting on one side, and withdrawal on the other, and these conflicts are all centered on the accusation that I "disrespect them as parents/have caused offense".  It seems to be that this is over some disciplinary methods that I made the mistake of noting even they don't consistently enforce.  I apologized for that, but my SIL took great offense to my bringing it up, and things have never been the same between us.  While my daughter also got upset, she tends to just flit off to another emotion quite quickly, and it seems we are okay.  For my part, I understand that I can respect them, and enforce the method they've chosen, even if I don't necessarily respect the method.  For them, disagreement with the method equates to a lack of respect for them personally.  This is how they see things from their point of view and there is nothing I can do, or say, to make them change it.  We do seem to have come to a peaceful truce for the time being, although not without controversy.  After the most recent blow-up, they made plans to have the Grandboy in Summertime Daycare and to juggle their work schedules rather than have him stay home with me as had been planned before the blow-up.  I'm choosing to believe that this is just a good transition to this Fall's Pre-school schedule, and not in retribution for the blow-up.  I do still watch him when schedules conflict or Daycare is closed.

The most difficult part has been seeing how this has affected our Grandboy.  Not long after the whole family moved in, he began acting out by "ignoring" me (i.e. turning his back, walking away, hiding), using hurtful words, and sometimes physical aggression towards me.  I believe it is because he had previously picked up on his parents resentment/conflict towards me and I think he was literally "acting out" his loyalty to them.  What I find so telling is that he mainly went to these extremes when his parents were present.  This went on for most of the Summer, but when he and I finally had some alone time, he became more like his old self.  What I have to trust in is that he will see over the long term that just because his parents may have, at one time, believed something about me, it doesn't necessarily make it true.  I see this as a test of "My heart attitude and subsequent actions towards them must speak louder than their words about me".  Hopefully as they become more secure, and united in their parenting, and I can reinforce that they are the best parents in the world for him, Grandboy will grow up learning how to navigate through his own conflicts over family dynamics.  

I am happy to say that after recently having a few days where I was again the primary Day Caregiver, Grandboy definitely showed up more as the Tom Sawyer-comrades-in-adventure, little boy he used to be.  While he still acts differently when Mama and Daddy are around, (and even in that he's learning that his actions won't make me love him any less), it's not as extreme, and he's slowly forgetting how to "act out".  He almost seems to have to make an effort to remember to "ignore" me when they are there.  Just this morning we spent nearly a half hour just rolling cars back and forth at each other with the ultimate goal of making them crash.  Grandmama bliss.  

All this to say... What works for me is looking at each individual (including myself) and how they tend to relate to the world, and each other.  Some are reactionary, others are not.  Some are task oriented, others are people oriented.  Any type (including myself) can act rashly when they are not at their best emotional level, and how that rashness appears in one, may not be how it appears in another.  I know that it is up to me to act with humility, grace, and forgiveness, and with the best, and truest, heart intentions I am capable of.  I'm never to hold a grudge against someone who may not be able to do that in the moment; whether they are a 4 year old, or merely acting like one.  All I know is that for better or worse, I'm all for my Adventures in Grandmama-ing..

Peace and blessings.

Edited by RoseRed135

Posted (edited)

@LifeIsGal220 - Hi again! Spoke to you a little in the thread I copied your post from. There's a lot to take in here ^^^^, but you seem very loving and insightful. While you don't appear to be looking for advice, I just want to let you know that it's not unusual for young parents to feel disrespected if their childrearing practices are questioned. We've heard about this here often.

As far as GB's behavior is concerned, IMO, you're very perceptive to realize it might be b/c  he "picked up on his parents resentment/conflict towards (you)." But I've read that some children  go through a phase where they have difficulty having more than one or two adults ("authorities") in the room at the same time. So he could just as easily have been experiencing that kind of phase.

I'm glad that you're "choos(ing) to believe" that the change in daycare arrangements is in preparation for GB's preschool schedule. I admire your positive attitude. However, even if it were in reaction to the recent "blowup," it probably wouldn't be so much "in retribution" as just a way of giving all of you a little more breathing room. Also, IMO, it's good that they've found a way to be more involved in his daily care, themselves, instead of leaning so much on you. And the schedule would change in time,anyhow, as I think you realize, as he gets older, attends full day school, etc.

When you and GB are together, it sounds like you are quite a fun GM! You two seem to have a wonderful time together, and it doesn't look as if that's going to end any time soon! :)

ETA: Thanks for the good wishes! Same to you!

Edited by RoseRed135

@RoseRed135 - Hi Rose.  Thanks so much for the kind words.  I've just found this site and I'm really looking forward to gaining as much insight as I can into this particular topic so that our family can move forward with confidence in our love, and support for one another.  I truly want our DD and SIL to feel confident in the decisions they make.  They have their reasons and methods, and I trust in their love for the Grandboy.  I'm trying to make it a priority to understand their reasoning for choosing their methods and to look for the best things that come out of it so that I can show my support to them.  Thanks also for the insight into some littles having difficulty with more than one or two adults (authorities) in the room at the same time.  I hadn't considered that.  Good thought to entertain when, or if this happens again.

Thanks again for the kind words and insight.  Blessings.  :)

1 person likes this