• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

The NEW Are YOU a new or expectant grandparent?

42 posts in this topic

Are you a new GP or a GP2B (grandparent-to-be)? If so, are you excited about your new/coming role? Nervous? Or just full of questions?

Edited by RoseRed135
type size

bump

bump

I need a little help.  My 31 yr old, unmarried son came by today to tell me he & his girlfriend were expecting a baby.  His live-in girlfriend is 25 with a 9 yr old girl from a previous relationship.  Then, I call my 28 yr old daughter to tell her she was going to be an aunt.  She told me she is expecting a daughter in Dec.  Apparently, my husband knew about my son but he does not know about our daughter.  He is out of town on a business trip.  He is going to freak out, as well as the rest of the family.  We have never met my daughter's boyfriend.  Apparently, they have been together for years.  I really don't know how to handle this.  I know they are both grown adults but not in my eyes.  I am beside myself.  I feel some shame & I shouldn't.  I am 55 and I was a little excited for my son but then when my daughter told me her news I felt devastated.  Any advice on how to deal with this & how to tell my very religious mother she is going to be a great grandma?

31 minutes ago, hotinatlanta said:

I need a little help.  My 31 yr old, unmarried son came by today to tell me he & his girlfriend were expecting a baby.  His live-in girlfriend is 25 with a 9 yr old girl from a previous relationship.  Then, I call my 28 yr old daughter to tell her she was going to be an aunt.  She told me she is expecting a daughter in Dec.  Apparently, my husband knew about my son but he does not know about our daughter.  He is out of town on a business trip.  He is going to freak out, as well as the rest of the family.  We have never met my daughter's boyfriend.  Apparently, they have been together for years.  I really don't know how to handle this.  I know they are both grown adults but not in my eyes.  I am beside myself.  I feel some shame & I shouldn't.  I am 55 and I was a little excited for my son but then when my daughter told me her news I felt devastated.  Any advice on how to deal with this & how to tell my very religious mother she is going to be a great grandma?

Hi- When you say freak out do you mean happy freak out or something else? What exactly has you freaked out about the news?

Wow! Welcome hotinatlanta...that's a lot to absorb at one time. You will find lots of support & opinion here...And I second Komo's thought about your level of freak out. I have 9 grandkids...fabulous people.

First, your children are adults...not young adults (18-24)....serious uptown big time adults (+/- 30) who are making adult decisions. Seriously, they don't need to consult you. Your only job here is to be the best grandma you can be. It isn't your job to financially support them,be the on-call baby sitter or the town crier....Your ADULT children can tell their grandmother the news and face her delight/disappointment without you running interference or accepting their guilt. All they did was share their news. They are not asking you to carry their burden of their choices unless there is something you didn't tell us.

Take a step back, take a deep breath and keep moving forward. We'll leave the light on

2 people like this

@hotinatlanta - Welcome! Sorry you're so unhappy, but glad you decided to reach out to us!

Sorry, too, that you got hit w/ all that news all at once! As Mame says, it's a lot to take in. You need to step back and take a few deep breaths, IMO, before you do anything else. Good that you decided to talk w/ us before telling your mom, etc.

I feel some shame & I shouldn't.

You can't help how you feel. But it may ease your mind if you realize how common it is, today, for young people to get pregnant and even have their babies out of wedlock. Some people may still disapprove, no doubt, But it doesn't bear the general stigma that it used to. Your DS (dear son) and DD (dear daughter), etc. probably know this.

I know they are both grown adults but not in my eyes.  

It can be hard... sigh,,, to learn to see our "kids" as full-grown adults. I get it. But, I think you need to adjust their view (maybe DH - dear husband - does also). They are adults, they're free to make their own choices - and, if it's any help, you and DH are not responsible for those choices, in any way, good or bad.

Apparently, my husband knew about my son but he does not know about our daughter.  He is out of town on a business trip.  He is going to freak out, as well as the rest of the family..... when my daughter told me her news I felt devastated.

Ok, I don't think you mean "happy freak out." And why will DH/the family "freak out" about DD's pregnancy? Why are you "devastated?" B/c she's not married? Or b/c you don't seem to have know she had a BF (boyfriend)? I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to get a fuller understanding here.

(((Hugs!)))

I'm a new grandparent.   She's only days old as of this post.   So far, she has had to endure a hearing test at 1 day old; electrodes attached to each shoulder and the back of the  neck, headphones on, and a series of beeps to make sure the shoulders or neck reacts to the beeps.   Evidently -- this can't wait, and it is important for hospital staff to take a sleeping newborn, 1 day old, and do this to her.   Then of course we have the vitamin K shot -totally unnecessary.   Many countries don't do this at all and those kids are fine.   And of course, the Hepatitis B vaccine before the newborn leaves the hospital.   Hepatitis B can only be passed by blood or semen, but evidently they want to give the shot so the baby won't contract the disease from their moms.   But wait a minute, Mom was forced to have the vaccine at 11... so -- what is the logic here?   The rationale?   

When I was a kid in school - there was no autism.   I never saw or met anyone with autism.  Kids didn't have ADHD.  They didn't have emotional disorders.   But we didn't have many vaccines.  Some, but not too many.   We had the chickenpox, and survived.  Now kids get the chickenpox vaccine, but they get something called Hand, Foot and Mouth disease instead, which appears to be far worse.  We got the flu, and got over it.  Kids were healthier on the whole than they are now.   I never knew anyone with childhood cancer when I was a kid.   Now, I could rip off a list of names of children in the 0 to 15 age bracket with autism, cancer or both.   And learning disabilities??  --- off the chart.

In the next 5 years, the CDC and AMA  and baby's pediatrician say they need to give my grandchild 36 vaccines.   THIRTY SIX.   Thirty six vaccines suspended in everything from aluminum, to mercury.   The US is the only developed country with this high vaccine rate, which is double any other developed country.   The US also has the highest childhood mortality rate for kids 5 and under in the same developed countries.   The CDC says Hepatitis B, with a contraction rate of 1 in 68,000, is an epidemic.   But, autism, with a rate of 1 in 68 - is not.   

I am a logical person.   I have long noticed that most of the ads on TV are pharmaceutical ads, and that most politicians get campaign funds from one or more pharmaceutical corporations.   I feel we aren't being told the truth, and that kids are at risk from the vaccine protocol in currently in place.   I am not ANTI-vaccine.   But, it seems profit is more important to these entities than my grandchild's health and well being.   'Healthcare', by my definition, is protecting the health that already exists, and nurturing it.   I don't see that the majority of vaccines do that.   I see a money grab, at the expense of the child.   Adding to my suspicions, is the fact that a parent cannot sue a manufacturer of a vaccine for hurting a child.   Congress gave the industry protection from lawsuits, in blanket fashion, in 1989.   They have never done this for any other industry, to my knowledge.  

So, I'm a new grandparent.   And, I'm scared.   I'm scared for the kids of this country, but mostly for my own grandchild.  I see a perfect baby today, and a system that is already chipping away at her.   I can only hope and pray for her health, that she can fight off the adverse effects of an insidious industry, and a corrupt system.  

Edited by Cedarway

P.S.to my earlier post (above Cedarway's) -  I agree w/ Mame that it's up to DS and DD to tell your mom/their GM (grandmother). You don't have to jump to that painful task.

When my YDD (younger dear daughter) had her first baby as a single mom, I told her one living GM/the GGM-to-be - in that case, my MIL. But that was b/c YDD was in that "young adult" category that Mame mentions and b/c she asked me to.

I approached it by saying what you did above, "Guess what? You're going to be a GGM!" rather than, "YDD is having a baby," Still, it didn't go too well. But MIL adjusted to it, eventually, and enjoyed the baby when she "met" her.

Regardless of that, your DS and DD are older and it doesn't seem as if they've asked you to spread the news, even to their GM. So, you're off the hook in that area, IMO.

Of course, it's  "normal" for you to tell DH, and I'm sure they expect that...

But wait... he already knows about DS' baby - and didn't tell you, apparently. Why is that? Maybe he chose to let DS tell you himself? Perhaps you can do the same where DD is concerned? IDK. I just think you need to sort a lot out in your mind - and heart - before you tell anyone else. Hopefully, we can help you w/ this.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

Welcome hotinatlanta.  I am sorry you are struggling with the news your adult children have shared with you.  I really don't know how I would have reacted if either of mine had shared the same news with me.  My daughter apparently got pregnant on her honeymoon.  I'm sure she got some of "those looks" when she first started showing.

I'm a sixty something grandma and I remember my mother telling the story of the "old country doc" who delivered me at home in the 40's refusing to indicate on any birth certificate that a child was "illegitimate"...that the child had done nothing wrong so there was no reason to label him.  AND NO. I was the second child of married parents.

ADJECTIVE:  not authorized by the law; not in accordance with accepted standards or rules:

Is the fact that your AC and their partners did things "not in accordance with accepted standards" the main issue here?

I have a cousin in her fifties who never married, no partner ever in sight with a very religious family.  Heck one brother has his doctorate in Theology and pastors a church.  No one to my knowledge ever questioned her about her child who is now in his mid twenties.  Her parents loved that child with all their hearts as they did all the other grands who had two married parents.  My own Dad smarted off to my two younger sisters in the same age group (later 20's) about the circumstances and the youngest snapped back that his daughters just "didn't get caught". 

I share a church pew each Sunday with a 80's something grandma, her 50's something daughter and her son who just graduated high school.  The daughter moved back to town nearly 20 years ago pregnant and has been the sole support for her son his entire life.  We gave her a baby shower and have treated this child with no father as we have treated all the other kids in our community.

I have a 30's something nephew and his partner had a son nearly three years ago.  They got married when the baby was about 9 months old.  The marriage lasted about two years.  Is this child any better off than if they had never gotten married?

One local grandmother has legal guardianship of two of her grandchildren born to a bipolar mother that never married.  She adores her grandchildren and struggles to make ends meet, but they are all happy.  The mother is not in the picture. 

I was at a community board meeting this week.  One of our members had a couple of her granddaughters with her.  We asked about her other grands.  Her youngest has a six year old without a father.  This grandmother shared that when her 30 year old daughter shared that she was expecting and not married "who was I to tell a young woman who had supported herself in a good fashion" that she couldn't decide to have a child?  The babies father died from a "bee sting" before he was a year old.

There is a couple in their later 70's who are retired missionaries living here.  They have legal custody of their three year old great grandchild.  The other grandparents have custody of her four year old brother.  These only see each other on facetime except a couple of times a year when the grands travel so they can play together.  Their parents are married, but mental health issues prevent them from raising the kids they brought into this world during their marriage.

I live in a very very small rural community and I could name others who were born out of wedlock.  They are all delightful kids and productive young adults.  What more could a grandmother want?

1 person likes this

Welcome Cedarway and congratulations on the new grandbaby.  They can be so much fun.  Try to put your worries aside and enjoy her.

I understand your questioning about all the vaccines given to children today.  My grandchildren all use the same pediatrician and he uses a slower schedule than most doctors for vaccinations.

As to the autism and ADHD issues.  I understand your concerns.  One of my grands and several of my nieces and nephews children all have been dx with ADHD.  None of my generation, but one nephew has it.  So yes, it seems to be more wide spread, or do we just hear more about it with todays social media etc and the fact that more parents are willing to talk about it and ask for support.

I was a very young child during the polio epidemic that hit this country.  A former pastor of ours had polio as a child and had to spend some time in an iron lung.  He is now in his early 60's and wheel chair bound.  No more struggling with crutches for him.  That time in the medical history of this country scared a lot of parents into having their kids given vaccinations that they had never heard of.  I can remember taking the sugar cube with the red drugs as a child. 

Chicken pox, is another issue.  I can remember as a five year old the horrible itching and ugly rash I had.  My 10 year old son took to the bed with the pox.  He might have had room for another 20 spots.  His sister probably only had those 20 spots and complained about having to miss school.  Now we hear about shingles going rampant which to all accounts is worse than the chicken pox that seems to cause it.

When my two kids were little, their doc refused to prescribe antibiotics unless they was a true infection.  He felt that they couldn't be good for just the common cold.  Now there is research that seems to indicate that the consumption of antibiotics as young girls might contribute to the number of breast cancer patients there are now.

As parents, we can do our own research made more easy with the www and hope and pray that we make the right decisions for our own kids.

Edited by SueSTx

@Cedarway  - Another welcome! And congratulations on the new grandbaby!

I don't remember being so aware of what shots my new GC had before they left the hospital (though granted, that was around a decade ago). You are very observant, IMO!

Like Sue, I understand your concerns. Please realize, though, that some kids, years ago, probably did have ADHD, learning disabilities, etc - we just labeled them "bad" or "stupid," etc. And kids w/ autism? There may have been fewer, but they often were "hidden away" in an institution of some kind, to my understanding. High functioning ones, again, were just treated as "stupid" and "childish." Nowadays, TG, there is more help and understanding for these kids!

I had a great uncle who, I now believe, may have been a high functioning autistic person. Family members came up w/ all sorts of "reasons" he was the way he was - he fell and hit his head as a small child, psychological trauma, etc. But looking back, I realize, they didn't really know. It didn't occur to his parents to ask the doctor, and IDK if the average family doctor, back then, would have recognized his condition, anyway (maybe, IDK). Granted, IDK either - he might have had some other problem his family didn't know about. My point is, I think there were more of these various conditions years ago, we just didn't always have names or treatment for them.

Also, like Sue, I remember a few kids who had polio, w/ lifelong, crippling effects. I'm glad no child has to face that today or some of the other horrible diseases that were once part of children's lives.

And while chicken pox isn't lethal or dangerous, it did used to keep kids out of school several days. That just wouldn't work, today, w/ the more advanced curriculum (and it is more advanced, at least in my state). Ok, maybe they wouldn't have been able to develop this more demanding curriculum if kids were routinely out for days w/ chicken pox, etc. And it might have been just as well. But that's where we are now (as I say, at least in my state) and I don't see things reversing any time soon (even if they tweak it a bit).

Anyhow, again, like Sue, I hope you can just enjoy your new GC and put your worries on the back burner. Please trust the parents to do what's best for their child, given our society as it is. And hey, congratulations!  :)

Edited by RoseRed135

Welcome Cedarway....Enjoy that new baby! That's your job in this.

My DD, now 40, was a high energy, no nonsense little girl who lived by her own agenda....She'd have periods of obnoxious hyperactivity that we traced to what she was eating....She is (still) highly sensitive to food preservatives & red/yellow food dyes. By the time she was two I had started scratch cooking and while she still was very energetic, she was mostly cooperative and charming....We taught her about her food choices and what happens when she goes off course. She didn't like herself much when she wasn't eating right. When she was in 1st grade her teacher talked about possible ADHD...and thought we should talk to her doctor about medication...NO...your job as her teacher is to challenge her, keep her busy and her behavior will level out. It did. She was in honors programs all through school...the girl loves a challenge. As an adult she's still busy with a 13yo, DH, home to manage, and an executive level position as well as running a side business. She's also an excellent cook. DS' older son has the same food issues so there seems to be a genetic link. 

We did standard vaccines when they were little. DS has had every vaccine known to man as he's military and gone all over the world. 

Just remember, "No" is a complete sentence. If I were dealing with the multitude of vaccines now, I would be cautious about the number given at one time, probably no more than two, no matter how many office visits I had to pay for...Part of the problem with multiple vaccines is that some parents don't bring the children back to the clinic again, for whatever reason, so the norm has been to give multiples just to make sure they are administered.

As for the hearing test, it's noninvasive and very telling. Early intervention for hearing problems is so important. To complain about that, IMO, is just looking for something to complain about.

Encourage her parents to be informed of their choices...just because the medical community "recommends" doesn't mean it's right for every child. I worked in medicine for more than 30 years...and have the utmost respect for it...but those same "experts" often lack the common sense that needs to go with progress. 

Cedarway I hear you loud and clear as a GP.

Congrads on your new GC! Have lots of fun in the coming months, hold that baby and give many kisses.

I'm wondering if you have done any research on the ways of thinking of vaccines for newborns  in 2017?

Trust the parents (you didn't tell us if the parent is your son or daughter) They want  the  best for their child, just the way you did.

You mentioned TV ads for drugs , I am sure you don't go to your dr and say i need drug xyz cause i saw it on TV. If your kids trust their Dr they will question any thing they don't think is right for their baby.

We live in a very different time then the 50's and 60's, thank goodness, progress has prevailed.

Can you explain why you think  the medical industry/ system is corrupt ?

Love your GB, and respect the parents decisions for their child's health.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.   DaisyJane, my rationale for thinking the medical industry is corrupt is the following:   1.   Healthcare, pharma and medicine is 1/6th of the US economy.   2.    The US is pushing 36 vaccines suspended in everything from aluminum, to mercury.   The US is the only developed country with this high vaccine rate, which is double any other developed country.   The US also has the highest childhood mortality rate for kids 5 and under in the same developed countries.   That - is astounding to me.  .. reference www.rescuepost.com.      3.   The drug industry is a large advertiser.    This doesn't concern me because one of my kids may believe the ads.   It concerns me because networks are reluctant to do expose' stories on big advertisers.   4.   The pharmaceutical industry contributes huge money to political campaigns.   Meanwhile, government has made it illegal for parents to sue if their child is harmed by a vaccine.   This is the same govt that forces vaccines for kids going to school.   Some might say 'conflict of interest', here.    5.    For the thousands of parents whose child has been killed or harmed by a vaccine or combination of vaccines - they have no legal recourse, nor are their observations taken seriously.   I believe these parents that say their child was fine before, and maimed or dead after.   They are heartbroken, and largely ignored.   If science was serious about itself, these parental observations would carry some weight.   6.  My MIL had polio, she was hospitalized for 2 years as a 12 year old girl.   I am NOT anti-vaccine.   However, I don't feel that blind trust is warranted here, and, it could be dangerous.   Vaccines are not harmless.   They do harm, large and small, everyday.   Also, many vaccines are not warranted.   One day old babies will not be shooting up or getting tattoos, or having sex to acquire Hep B.   They don't need this vaccine prior to leaving the hospital.  I don't like the chicken pox vaccine because my great neices and nephews are all getting hand, foot and mouth disease, which appears to be related to the chicken pox, but has been so much worse for them.   Ten days of itching and scratching and secondary infection... - so what did the CP vaccine really do?   And then there is Guardasil, which was never tested on adolescent girls, but I was supposed to blindly trust my pediatrician on this one, and allow a drug company to make a guinea pig of my daughter.   No.   Not gonna happen.    These are the reasons for my distrust.   Add to that:  Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer, causing at least 250,000 deaths every year.   This was a US News Report.   One and two were cancer and heart disease....

Mame925 - I feel the hearing test on a 1 day old baby IS invasive.   Consider the fact that 24 hours earlier, she had been in a safe, warm, dark environment.   Birth itself is a trauma on a newborn.   The noise, the cold, the bright lights, the people holding you in uncomfortable ways... for one so young the only real safe place is with mom and dad.   I feel they know this..   I feel that if we as humans were really respecting the condition of being newly born, and of just having a baby, we could do a much better job in caring for them both.   

Remember the oath - 'First do no harm'?   What happened to that?   

Don't worry I will kiss and enjoy my GD.   Thank you for allowing me to share freely.   It helps.   

Edited by Cedarway

5 hours ago, Cedarway said:

Don't worry I will kiss and enjoy my GD.  I'm sure you will. No doubt, it will be too hard not to! :)

Thank you for allowing me to share freely.   It helps.    Glad it does! Hope to hear from you some more!

@Cedarway - P.S. Medical concerns aside, I hope you're enjoying your new GD and just being a new GP. :)

Edited by RoseRed135

On 7/13/2017 at 0:02 AM, Cedarway said:

I'm a new grandparent.   She's only days old as of this post.   So far, she has had to endure a hearing test at 1 day old; electrodes attached to each shoulder and the back of the  neck, headphones on, and a series of beeps to make sure the shoulders or neck reacts to the beeps.   Evidently -- this can't wait, and it is important for hospital staff to take a sleeping newborn, 1 day old, and do this to her.   Then of course we have the vitamin K shot -totally unnecessary.   Many countries don't do this at all and those kids are fine.   And of course, the Hepatitis B vaccine before the newborn leaves the hospital.   Hepatitis B can only be passed by blood or semen, but evidently they want to give the shot so the baby won't contract the disease from their moms.   But wait a minute, Mom was forced to have the vaccine at 11... so -- what is the logic here?   The rationale?   

When I was a kid in school - there was no autism.   I never saw or met anyone with autism.  Kids didn't have ADHD.  They didn't have emotional disorders.   But we didn't have many vaccines.  Some, but not too many.   We had the chickenpox, and survived.  Now kids get the chickenpox vaccine, but they get something called Hand, Foot and Mouth disease instead, which appears to be far worse.  We got the flu, and got over it.  Kids were healthier on the whole than they are now.   I never knew anyone with childhood cancer when I was a kid.   Now, I could rip off a list of names of children in the 0 to 15 age bracket with autism, cancer or both.   And learning disabilities??  --- off the chart.

In the next 5 years, the CDC and AMA  and baby's pediatrician say they need to give my grandchild 36 vaccines.   THIRTY SIX.   Thirty six vaccines suspended in everything from aluminum, to mercury.   The US is the only developed country with this high vaccine rate, which is double any other developed country.   The US also has the highest childhood mortality rate for kids 5 and under in the same developed countries.   The CDC says Hepatitis B, with a contraction rate of 1 in 68,000, is an epidemic.   But, autism, with a rate of 1 in 68 - is not.   

I am a logical person.   I have long noticed that most of the ads on TV are pharmaceutical ads, and that most politicians get campaign funds from one or more pharmaceutical corporations.   I feel we aren't being told the truth, and that kids are at risk from the vaccine protocol in currently in place.   I am not ANTI-vaccine.   But, it seems profit is more important to these entities than my grandchild's health and well being.   'Healthcare', by my definition, is protecting the health that already exists, and nurturing it.   I don't see that the majority of vaccines do that.   I see a money grab, at the expense of the child.   Adding to my suspicions, is the fact that a parent cannot sue a manufacturer of a vaccine for hurting a child.   Congress gave the industry protection from lawsuits, in blanket fashion, in 1989.   They have never done this for any other industry, to my knowledge.  

So, I'm a new grandparent.   And, I'm scared.   I'm scared for the kids of this country, but mostly for my own grandchild.  I see a perfect baby today, and a system that is already chipping away at her.   I can only hope and pray for her health, that she can fight off the adverse effects of an insidious industry, and a corrupt system.  

Autism is present in older people. My husband (36) is high-functioning autistic. We suspect his grandmother is as well. She's 72. She would have had far fewer vaccines than we have today.

As far as the hearing test, I cannot speak specifically to the one she had done, but we have (or at least used to have) one in our area that just involved putting a device in the ear canal and pressing a button. It could be done when the baby was sleeping and did not wake the baby. It's very important that hearing loss be detected early because the early years are a critical period in language development. Even if it's detected by age 2, you've already lost a significant amount of time. Case analyses of isolated children have demonstrated that once people reach a certain point, they are not able to acquire language skills as well, if at all. One example: Genie, a young girl, was discovered at about age 12, having been confined to an attic or something in her parents' home since she was very small, possibly since birth. Genie never developed proper language skills, even with extensive treatment, and eventually came to live in a home for dependent adults.

Edited by agnurse

Yes, I realize there were some autistic even 80 years ago- however, it wasn't an epidemic.   I'm thinking it is now, and since the numbers of effected people have grown so much, maybe the medical industry should take a look at the aluminum adjuvants used in vaccines and do some accumulation studies, some mitochondrial disease analysis, some studies regarding autoimmune disease and demyelination of nerve structures as effected by vaccines.   Because what I see, is an industry much more concerned with money, than the health and welfare of infants and children.   The hearing test could have waited.   I'm sure it is fine feedback to have,-- it still could have waited. 

I appreciate the comments and insights, but I'm deleting my account.   Thanks.   

You'll notice agnurse is only able to suspect DH's GM has autism....I went thru school with a boy who didn't develop social skills, was very intelligent, had an extreme talent and was a behavior problem...Seeing him now (we've remained friendly acquaintances over the years) it's so ridiculously obvious he has autism...It simply wasn't diagnosed as a spectrum disorder...only the worst cases were recognized, but as forms of mental retardation. Autism Spectrum as a diagnosis didn't come into play until the early 90s.

I'm sorry you are choosing to leave GP.com and that you didn't find the answers or support you'd hoped. This is a very diverse community. And we are opinionated. I'd like to hope you'll reconsider. You have a lot of really good information within your opinions that is certainly worth hearing.

1 person likes this

I'm sorry you're leaving, too, cedarway. And I, also, hope you reconsider.

If you still want to go, however, please be advised that members can't delete their own accounts on this site, however. You'll need to contact LatoyaAdmin.

@hotinatlanta - How are things going?

On 10/13/2016 at 0:13 AM, RoseRed135 said:

Are you a new GP or a GP2B (grandparent-to-be)? If so, are you excited about your new/coming role? Nervous? Or just full of questions?

My 16 year old just told me she is pregnant and I'm totally freaking out. I don't think she understands how hard this is going to be. I also was a 16 y.o with a child.  I'm scared I'm not going to be able to make it taking on another  kid. But she is so head strong on keeping the baby. 

Edited by Yayaarnold
Add more