• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Just found out they're moving far away!

107 posts in this topic

Welcome Rose1909, sorry you found our forums in so much pain but I'm sure you will adjust to some degree in time.

I raised my two 10 hours away from my family and I always felt they had a closer relationship with my parents than the other grandparents who lived less than five miles away.

Distance isn't all that matters.  At 10, your GD can maybe call or text often and even use snail mail to stay in contact

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Rose1909 said:

Two months ago, my SIL got a job 7 hours away, and of course my DD and 10 y/o granddaughter moved with him (a month ago). Although my SIL and DD always either lived with me or 5 minutes away, my GD *always* lived with me. For 10 years I raised and supported her like my own child...and then she was gone. I'm heartbroken and still grieving, and at times I can't stop crying. Yes, it'll get better, but right now it hurts so much. I can't talk to anyone else about this, because I'll break down. I'm glad I can share here. I look at her room and just fall apart. Thankfully I'll be moving in 6 months, and hopefully that will help some.  <\3 

So sorry that you're hurting so much, Rose1909, but I'm "glad (you) can share here," too.. Going from raising a child for so long to having her move so far away is quite a drastic change! No wonder you're "grieving."  My heart goes out to you!

When you say you'll "be moving in 6 months," do you mean closer to DD and family?

Regardless. once they're settled in, I'm sure you'll find ways to keep in touch w/ each other, including GD, as Sue suggests, if that's any comfort. Whether it involves traditional methods, such as phone calls and snail mail or more modern technology, no doubt, you'll find ways to maintain your relationship, even though it will be different than before..(((Hugs!)))

1 person likes this

I just found out tonight my 2nd oldest daughter and my grandson are moving in 5 days, the day after xmas 3,000 miles away.  she discharged out of the Air Force after 15 yrs and finding out I have stage IV breast cancer, four years ago.  The time has literally flown by and I find it hard to accept.  She is finishing school on the GI bill and I think her decision was more emotioinal than well thought out.  Anyway, she has accepted a low paying job for IRS and just wonder how she thinks this will make her happy.  It is her life, but she is impacting my grandson's life too and he is being taken away from his 7 cousins.  This is heartbreaking to say the least and I hope there is some silver lining for me and them and the rest of my family.  My life is very simple now, and since I am on a fixed income, I must find a very part time job to make ends meet.  Life is full of ups and downs, and for 4 years it has been full of downs.  I pray that I can see the light at the end of this tunnel.  thanks for anyone reading this.  I am so heartbroken and I don't know what to do.

Edited by nanasangels8

nanasangels8...I am so sorry your heart is aching at the news of your DD and grandson moving 3,000 miles away.  I have lived a 10 hour drive from my family for nearly 50 years and I can't imagine being that far away.

I hope your cancer is in remission and the next fours offers you more ups than downs.  Did your DD and GS live with you?  If so your home will be so quite there all alone.  I hope you can find a part time job.  Many grocery stores in our area hire retired folks during week days while the youngsters are in school.  Maybe something like that could work for you.

Good luck with the job hunt.

1. thanks, yes they did live with me for the first year she returned, and has had 2 other apartments while a student in my neighborhood.  my cancer is responding to the medication I take, although it has changed once it stops working.  she is still making her own decisions right or wrong, I think when you think with emotions and not logically, there are major consequences, so will have to see what the future brings and once my grandson grows up, perhaps he will move around so that she can she what it is like.  I believe in karma, so all's well, that ends well. thanks for your words and once our bitter winter is over, I will start my job hunt, don't want to venture out in the cold this year to begin a job.

for anyone going through sudden decisions by your adult children just pray and ask God to help on both ends, that they are safe, healthy and you can find peace.

life is so short and you never know what the future brings, so have hope and believe that a miracle is around the corner.

2 people like this

nanasangels8, I get it, I do...my son is career Navy having already served nearly 17 years, just over 3 to go. He's lived on both coasts, a minor inconvenience to me. Actually, for about 12 years his home was a submarine...and there were stretches I didn't see or hear from him for close to 6 months at time. When he married and started his family, they lived 14 hours away. You learn to deal with it...He's the youngest of my 3 kids and the only boy.

I didn't feel sorry for myself, I developed relationships with the long distance grandkids, his older son as a toddler used to just fly into my arms when they'd visit every few months (fortunately, his then wife's parents live in my town). And I went to them as often as possible...during the births of 5 of the GK my DH was in a losing battle with cancer, that went on for nearly 10 years.

Do what you can to keep yourself busy. Make a project out of keeping in touch with your GS, skype, email, snail mail (kids love to get mail), phone calls, etc. Good luck with your job search...(consider your local school district, there are often many part time jobs available)

@nanasangels8 - Welcome! Glad you found our forums though I'm sorry it's under such unhappy circumstances!

First, I'm so sorry about your cancer. Good that it's responding to the medicine, however, I hope your health improves steadily as time goes on.

As for DD's (dear daughter's) and GS' leaving, my heart aches for you! It must have been a shock to hear this all of a sudden, after 4 years! And such bad timing, too, IMO, w/ Christmas just around the corner!

You're experiencing a kind of grief, I think - people often do when they feel as if they've "lost" or are "losing" a relationship. If it's any comfort, please realize that you havne't lost your relationship w/ DD and GS - it's just changing. No doubt, you'll adjust in time and "see the light at the end of this tunnel," as you hope.  But I realize that's hard to fathom now. (((Hugs!)))

...she discharged out of the Air Force after 15 yrs and finding out I have stage IV breast cancer, four years ago. 

Many thanks to DD for her service to our country. It's sad that she discharged for such unfortunate reasons, but it's beautiful that she did that, too, IMO. I trust you  had many happy times w/ her and GS though I realize that's probably what's making her move harder to accept.

It is her life, but she is impacting my grandson's life too and he is being taken away from his 7 cousins. 

Such a shame that GS will be pulled away from his cousins and other family and friends that he knows and loves. But please rest assured that he'll make new friends, and hopefully, he'll be able to keep in touch w/ his cousins and other family members, etc. - including you, of course - via skype, FaceTime, etc. W/ today's technology, I know young people who have kept up long distance relationships w/ old friends, etc. for years.

Life is full of ups and downs, and for 4 years it has been full of downs. 

Has that been true for DD also? Could that be why she's moving? Is she hoping to make a new start somewhere else? That doesn't ease your pain any, I know. But if you think it might be the reason, perhaps it will help you to understand and accept a little better.

Regardless, I think Sue and Mame have both made very good suggestions. Also, in your sorrow, please don't overlook the AC (adult children) and 7 other GC (wow!) who are still nearby. Granted, you'll still feel the absence of this one DD and GS, but please remember to enjoy the ones who are here.

Nanas, you will be in my thoughts and prayers (as well as DD and GS as they begin their new life)....

3 hours ago, nanasangels8 said:

for anyone going through sudden decisions by your adult children just pray and ask God to help on both ends, that they are safe, healthy and you can find peace.

life is so short and you never know what the future brings, so have hope and believe that a miracle is around the corner.

How very kind of you to reach out to others even as you are going through your own sorrow...

How I came upon this site I am not sure but it is just what I needed! Let me tell you my story. 5 years ago my youngest son worked in ND and met and married a Native American women. They had a beautiful baby boy. I flew several times to see them with very bad outcomes. lots of violence among the families there. 3rd trip I welcomed my 2nd GS. I am a Psych Nurse and noticed my Son was acting very strange. I knew we needed to get him help right away. My DIL kicked us out of the house by reservation police. He comes home with me to Louisiana and was placed in a hospital, diagnosed and put on medication. He is much better, he stays in touch with his wife and children daily during this time. DIL ask to move to LA due to the violence in ND with her family. Her Stepdad molested her for years when she was a young child and when he was released from prison he moved back in with her Mother (only one example) My Dil also has a adopted daughter who is 11. They move here and live with us until the house on our property had new floors put in and they moved in there. Having my GC here for over a year now was wonderful. Two months ago my first Granddaughter was born and they named her after me. My heart was full but I was supporting them financially and I was broke. I told them I couldn't support them any longer and begged my Son to get a job, I even helped but he wouldn't even fill out the application. Just 2 days ago my DIL got mad when I told her I couldn't pay there bills anymore and tonight they pulled out to ND. I stood there before going to work today looking at my babies and My oldest grandson saying hi Honey! I knew if I went to hug him I wouldn't be able to let him go. My heart has been ripped out of my chest! I feel all of your pain out there Grandparents far away.  

Oh honey, I can't imagine the pain you must feel seeing them drive away, but I do understand that you can't support two homes and five extra people your own.  I know you must be worried sick about them all.

1 person likes this

@louisianahoney - Glad you found us though I'm sorry it was under such unhappy circumstances! Echoing everything Sue said above. My heart just aches for you!

I'm so sorry about DS' (dear son's) illness and the fact that he refuses to get a job. Could it be that the illness is what's keeping him from doing it? Especially if it involves any kind of depression (you didn't say and, of course, don't have to)? You say he's "much better," but perhaps he still has a ways to go? Regardless, you can't let yourself go broke supporting an extra household.

So sorry, too, that DIL "got mad" when you told her you couldn't pay their bills anymore. If it eases your pain at all, I think she was more angry at the situation than at you. I just wish she had expressed it differently. She and DS clearly think highly of you since they named their new child after you.

I wonder why their "solution" was to move back to ND... Do they have any reason to believe that her relatives will help them financially? Or that the reservation will?

Whatever their reasons, I know it's going to take you a while to adjust to this (you will). Please continue to reach out to us for support.

(((Hugs!)))

Edited by RoseRed135

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, SueSTx said:

Oh honey, I can't imagine the pain you must feel seeing them drive away, but I do understand that you can't support two homes and five extra people your own.  I know you must be worried sick about them all.

Yes Sue I am. I saw a Post on FB where DIL put they should arrive Christmas morning. I was grateful to see they were ok. This is such a sad Christmas. I miss them terribly. Maybe Ill leave work in the morning and just go home and sleep.  

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:55 AM, RoseRed135 said:

@louisianahoney - Glad you found us though I'm sorry it was under such unhappy circumstances! Echoing everything Sue said above. My heart just aches for you!

I'm so sorry about DS' (dear son's) illness and the fact that he refuses to get a job. Could it be that the illness is what's keeping him from doing it? Especially if it involves any kind of depression (you didn't say and, of course, don't have to)? You say he's "much better," but perhaps he still has a ways to go? Regardless, you can't let yourself go broke supporting an extra household.

So sorry, too, that DIL "got mad" when you told her you couldn't pay their bills anymore. If it eases your pain at all, I think she was more angry at the situation than at you. I just wish she had expressed it differently. She and DS clearly think highly of you since they named their new child after you.

I wonder why their "solution" was to move back to ND... Do they have any reason to believe that her relatives will help them financially? Or that the reservation will?

Whatever their reasons, I know it's going to take you a while to adjust to this (you will). Please continue to reach out to us for support.

(((Hugs!)))

All I do know is DS does need some medication changes. I have tried everything I can to get him to do that. Rose my DIl had my Husband and me walking on egg shells constantly. If she became the least bit angry at something she would threaten to move back to ND and we would do anything to keep the babies close and she knew that. When I couldn't find another dime to keep a roof over their heads etc, she just went crazy and went and got a moving Vann within 12 hours and was gone the next day. Her Aunts will support them for how long I do not know. I have promised my Mother and Sisters I will put myself in that position again even if it kills me not to see my Grandchildren. I have got to put this in Gods hands. I cannot handle this on my own. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts Rose. It was so nice to have you and Sue to talk to. God Bless you both. Merry Christmas

4 hours ago, louisianahoney said:

All I do know is DS does need some medication changes. I have tried everything I can to get him to do that. Rose my DIl had my Husband and me walking on egg shells constantly. If she became the least bit angry at something she would threaten to move back to ND and we would do anything to keep the babies close and she knew that. When I couldn't find another dime to keep a roof over their heads etc, she just went crazy and went and got a moving Vann within 12 hours and was gone the next day. Her Aunts will support them for how long I do not know. I have promised my Mother and Sisters I will put myself in that position again even if it kills me not to see my Grandchildren. I have got to put this in Gods hands. I cannot handle this on my own. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts Rose. It was so nice to have you and Sue to talk to. God Bless you both. Merry Christmas

So sorry about DiL's behavior! Sounds like something would have prompted her to return to ND, sooner or later, no matter what you did or didn't do.

Hopefully, once they're settled back into ND, you can keep in touch. Given today's technology,  there are so many more ways to do so, as I'm sure you know. I understand it's not the same as having your GC near you. But, in time, you may find that it makes the change easier/less painful.

Regardless, I'm glad you found some solace in talking w/ us. Thank you for your blessings and Christmas wishes. Same back to you!

1 person likes this

Perhaps you can get in the pattern of a regular FaceTime or Skype visit, though that of course isn't same as seeing loved ones face to face!

2 people like this

DL has allowed me to see them one time per facetime. She has totally blocked me now on FB and her phone. I am dealing with this as best I can. Thank you all for the kind words.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:12 AM, louisianahoney said:

DL has allowed me to see them one time per facetime. She has totally blocked me now on FB and her phone. I am dealing with this as best I can. Thank you all for the kind words.

So sorry about this! More (((Hugs!)))

Hi. Brand new to the forum today. Last night I found out my dd, sil, and only 2 grandchildren ages 1 and 2 are moving away to California from 10 minutes away from me here in Texas. They will be gone in 2 months. My sil is our church's youth pastor. They have been married 3 years and living here since they were married. Baby one came within 9 months, and baby 2 came 13 months later. I am the mom of 7, 4 of whom still live at home (3 are young adults). ALL of us, including my dh, are super close with my dd's family. We see each other at least 3 times a week. My teen and young adult kids are quite intertwined with their family, often babysitting or spending the night. While I totally understand why they are moving--they are returning to pastor a young church that is a mission off the church where they both attended Bible College--I am shocked and devastated. I know what a hole this is going to leave in our church and in our family. It is going to affect me deeply (already has), but I know it will my husband and kids here at home as well. Our family is distant from our firstborn, both in relationship and physical distance. When all the separation was going on with him, I about died. As a homeschooling mom, I have been with my kids 24/7 their entire lives. Losing the close relationship with my firstborn almost did me in. I am dreading going through the intense grieving again with my daughter and grandsons moving away. I was already having emotional difficulties with how various members of the family have been treating me, mostly related to these young adult kids breaking away in a rather unfeeling  and hurtful way. I have been treated for depression for years. I had already decided I had to get into counseling, which I have never done, just to cope with all the hurt I have been feeling, which is about to do me in. Then, we get this bombshell dropped on us last night. I am numb. If I think of it for more than a few seconds, I will be bawling. I hope some of you can offer me some sympathy and understanding and perhaps some tips on how to make this work. I am so afraid they will forget us, despite Skype, etc. And I am dreading that I won't be able to rock and hug and sing to them like I am in the habit of doing. I dread the empty arms feeling. :'(  Thanks for any encouragement you can offer.

Welcome Momofseven.  I am sorry you found us at such a troubling time in your life.  I think maybe it is time for you to find a counselor.  If you still have three adult children lining with you, it is obvious that there will be more leaving the nest in the future and you do seem to have a history of not coping well wit separation.

This couple is moving to do the Lords work, try to be happy for them.

8 hours ago, Momofseven said:

Hi. Brand new to the forum today. Last night I found out my dd, sil, and only 2 grandchildren ages 1 and 2 are moving away to California from 10 minutes away from me here in Texas. They will be gone in 2 months. My sil is our church's youth pastor. They have been married 3 years and living here since they were married. Baby one came within 9 months, and baby 2 came 13 months later. I am the mom of 7, 4 of whom still live at home (3 are young adults). ALL of us, including my dh, are super close with my dd's family. We see each other at least 3 times a week. My teen and young adult kids are quite intertwined with their family, often babysitting or spending the night. While I totally understand why they are moving--they are returning to pastor a young church that is a mission off the church where they both attended Bible College--I am shocked and devastated. I know what a hole this is going to leave in our church and in our family. It is going to affect me deeply (already has), but I know it will my husband and kids here at home as well. Our family is distant from our firstborn, both in relationship and physical distance. When all the separation was going on with him, I about died. As a homeschooling mom, I have been with my kids 24/7 their entire lives. Losing the close relationship with my firstborn almost did me in. I am dreading going through the intense grieving again with my daughter and grandsons moving away. I was already having emotional difficulties with how various members of the family have been treating me, mostly related to these young adult kids breaking away in a rather unfeeling  and hurtful way. I have been treated for depression for years. I had already decided I had to get into counseling, which I have never done, just to cope with all the hurt I have been feeling, which is about to do me in. Then, we get this bombshell dropped on us last night. I am numb. If I think of it for more than a few seconds, I will be bawling. I hope some of you can offer me some sympathy and understanding and perhaps some tips on how to make this work. I am so afraid they will forget us, despite Skype, etc. And I am dreading that I won't be able to rock and hug and sing to them like I am in the habit of doing. I dread the empty arms feeling. :'(  Thanks for any encouragement you can offer.

(((Hugs!)))

One blow after another! Whew! I'm so deeply sorry you're facing all this, Momofseven!. But I'm glad you brought your concerns to us and hope we can help. Welcome!

A move from "10 minutes away to several states away! From frequent visits, etc., to a long distance situation! No doubt, that's a dramatic change! You will all adjust, no doubt, but it will take time.

I am so afraid they will forget us, despite Skype, etc

I take it you mean the GC (grandchildren). I don't think you have to worry though. The relationship may change, but you still can create many fond memories w/ them via Skype, the occasional visit, etc.

...these young adult kids breaking away in a rather unfeeling and hurtful way.

Sigh... Sorry to hear this. Chances are, though, that they are just so enthusiastic about their emerging independence that they don't realize when they're being "hurtful," etc. It's not uncommon, if that's any comfort. It's hard not to take it personally, I know, but please try not to and instead and chalk it up to a "normal" need to pull away.

Granted, I understand how this recent news makes it all harder to bear. I'm glad to see you were already considering counseling. Very wise, IMO. And I agree w/ Sue, above, that it's probably time to implement that decision. Being treated for depression (sorry you have that) is helpful, of course. But, IMO, it's also good to have a counselor who can help you deal w/ your feelings, etc. Hopefully, continuing to talk w/ us will help, too.

More (((hugs!)))

Dear Momofseven, It is clear you have been a hands on Mom and GM. The joy GC bring us is amazing and when it is taken away (distance, not from the heart) it is very hard. You are blessed you can take trips to visit and will have every opportunity to Skype and talk with them. I know you will miss them as I do mine. Find a hobby to keep you busy right now, it does help and reach out to friends. Life is forever changing and if you are like me, well I had to learn to adapt to changes in my life recently also. I found if I just take it day by day it helps. Counseling is always helpful and if you don't like the one you see find another. Bless you, LouisianaHoney

2 people like this

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday, I tried reaching out to my firstborn with a friendly text about some current events. He basically attacked me. I was shocked. I tried to tell him I just wanted a friendly chat. He said, "Just leave me alone." Wow. Then, upon having a confrontation with a live-at-home son about internet use, he yelled, "That is a bunch of ****!" I assure you, this is *NOT* how we raised our children. Our home used to be full of love and laughter and fun times. I know some of my children are bitter about their upbringing as they get out into the world and look back on our homeschooling and discipline methods. I also know that how we raised our kids has resulted in their being well-educated, hardworking, and admired adults. The backlash toward me in particular is because I was with them, as I said, 24/7, whereas my husband, a medical professional, worked and still works 12-14 hour days. He tries to be sympathetic to my dealings with family members, but he is not really part of the day-to-day.

I realize this forum is about grandparenting, but dealing with adult children, whether they're married and have produced their own children or not, is a big part of this stage of life. Yes, it is hard to be accepting of all the changes and emerging independence of the kids, but it would be so much easier if they could just be *kind* to me. Is that so much to ask? If I had just some basic respect and love, I could deal with the one issue of the grandkids moving away a lot easier.

Another part of the equation is my mother also lives 10 minutes away. She loves me and tries to encourage me, but talks with her usually end with her blaming me, even to the point of yelling and cussing--also something not characteristic of her in younger days. She is 82 and lives independently as a widow. I get a lot of guilt-tripping for not seeing or calling her more, but I just can't handle one more person attacking me. I know she, too, gets lonely and misses those days when my own kids, her grandkids, were young and fun to have around.

I found this forum just googling for some answers on dealing with these issues. I feel so alone. Most of the homeschooling mom friends I have are raising much younger children. I don't want to share with them how hurtful and sad the future years can be. No one warned me of how painful all the separations and new manners of relationships can be.

Sorry to be so incredibly negative. I am just hurting so badly right now. I am trying, through the tears, to track down a counselor. :cray:

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Momofseven said:

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday, I tried reaching out to my firstborn with a friendly text about some current events. He basically attacked me. I was shocked. I tried to tell him I just wanted a friendly chat. He said, "Just leave me alone." Wow. Then, upon having a confrontation with a live-at-home son about internet use, he yelled, "That is a bunch of ****!" I assure you, this is *NOT* how we raised our children. Our home used to be full of love and laughter and fun times. I know some of my children are bitter about their upbringing as they get out into the world and look back on our homeschooling and discipline methods. I also know that how we raised our kids has resulted in their being well-educated, hardworking, and admired adults. The backlash toward me in particular is because I was with them, as I said, 24/7, whereas my husband, a medical professional, worked and still works 12-14 hour days. He tries to be sympathetic to my dealings with family members, but he is not really part of the day-to-day.

I realize this forum is about grandparenting, but dealing with adult children, whether they're married and have produced their own children or not, is a big part of this stage of life. Yes, it is hard to be accepting of all the changes and emerging independence of the kids, but it would be so much easier if they could just be *kind* to me. Is that so much to ask? If I had just some basic respect and love, I could deal with the one issue of the grandkids moving away a lot easier.

Another part of the equation is my mother also lives 10 minutes away. She loves me and tries to encourage me, but talks with her usually end with her blaming me, even to the point of yelling and cussing--also something not characteristic of her in younger days. She is 82 and lives independently as a widow. I get a lot of guilt-tripping for not seeing or calling her more, but I just can't handle one more person attacking me. I know she, too, gets lonely and misses those days when my own kids, her grandkids, were young and fun to have around.

I found this forum just googling for some answers on dealing with these issues. I feel so alone. Most of the homeschooling mom friends I have are raising much younger children. I don't want to share with them how hurtful and sad the future years can be. No one warned me of how painful all the separations and new manners of relationships can be.

Sorry to be so incredibly negative. I am just hurting so badly right now. I am trying, through the tears, to track down a counselor. :cray:

Please don't apologize for being "negative." This is a good place to vent your hurt feelings - better, IMO, than unloading on your teenagers or AC (adult children) or even DH (dear husband).

I understand your reaching out to your oldest and I'm sorry he reacted badly. Perhaps it just isn't time yet. As hard as it may be, please continue to give him his space. In time, he may reach out to you... patience...

In fact, I think you need to pull back more from your other "kids," too, as well as your mom. Unless DS (dear son), for example, is a teenager surfing questionable sites or making dubious online friendships - or an adult who's breaking some Internet rule you have in your home - I would avoid cautioning him (if that's what you were doing) about the Internet or criticizing (again, if you were) how he uses it. All that's doing, as far as I can see, is damaging your relationship and causing you aggravation. Again, I know it's hard, especially after being so intertwined for so long, but I think you need to start letting go.

I believe you when you say you didn't raise your kids to be rude and hurtful like this. Sometimes, unfortunately, teens and young adults are though in their effort to pull away/be more independent. Please rest assured, you're not alone. But, as you say, they may be striking out at you especially b/c you were the one w/ them "24/7."

As for your mom, chances are, she simply can't handle hearing about these problems at this point. And you need/have a right, IMO, to distance yourself from people who are "attacking" you. If you do call or visit her, please try to keep the conversation to lightweight,  pleasant topics (a good book or TV show, even the weather), If she starts the guilt-trips, I suggest finding a way to end the conversation/visit as quickly and gracefully as possible.

Please bring your troubles to your counselor once you find one and to us instead. My guess is you'll get much better results that way. (((Hugs!)))

1 person likes this

Hi all,  I'm new to this forum also and so glad i found it.  My second oldest son had my first gc 3 years ago.  He met his gf in Washington,  where we're from,  but when she got pregnant is when i realized they would be moving to South Carolina, where her parents are.  So,  i see my sweet lil grandson each year on his birthday,  i fly there and Skype when able, but the time difference makes it a challenge.  That was hard enough,  but they are now expecting their second baby in April. My oldest son and his gf live 4 hours from me and just had their first baby,  my sweet lil Princess grand daughter. I've been able to see her alot more since she's driving distance.  I was just told that his gfs dad got a great job in North Carolina and they all (including my son,  gf and gb) will be moving there this April.  I am beyond devastated.  I am going to see granddaughter  next week,  but part of me just wants to distance myself from them all because i instantly cry whenever i think about them all being so far away.  i am excited that my 2 boys will be closer to each other and their babies will be close, but so sad that I'm the one left without them.  My youngest son is disabled and home with me,  luckily he's stuck with me. ;) After reading some of these posts, I know i have to put on my big girl pants and do my best to keep in touch,  but wow it's soooooo hard not too cry when one of my boys calls me.  

Edited by Mame925
removed names in the interest of privacy