• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Just found out they're moving far away!

147 posts in this topic

Ramble on....and welcome @Ohiomom. Jump in where ever you feel comfortable. You will find threads dealing with grandkids being born away from us (2 of mine were born in Washington, 1 in LA, I live in San Francisco), but in the end I was present for all 3 births....if you don't know how to SKYPE, learn, it was a great way to keep in touch with those 3 until they moved close enough for me to see regularly. The "men" in my family have an aversion to talking on the phone, but will chat on skype to discuss their latest projects & interests in 'show & tell' format while the girlie showed off her latest tumbling routine, I watched the babies crawl. We also used skype when the #3 grandson had open heart surgery and was quarantined at home over Christmas...we dialed them into the family Christmas party where they opened their gift exchange presents along with us (we also compared dinner plates, Christmas Eve dinner is always a theme). 

My son is career Navy, so he's lived where they tell him. He left home at 20, is now 37 with 3 years more to go in the Navy. He's lived on the east coast, Pacific northwest and now SoCal until he's done. In between times he's been on a boat to places he can't tell me. For 11 years it was submarine corps...now it's Black Ops....I don't know which is worse...he was raised to spread his wings too...I never questioned his decision. Adults don't ask Mama's permission.

NC & Texas both has so much to offer. I'm toying with going on the Texas Dancehall Tour in October...and a branch of my family came to NC in the early 1700s...much to explore. Look at the big picture.

I'm a Newbie here and found comfort tonight knowing I am not the only person with a heart that hurts because my son and DIL are moving 8 hours away with my 2 GS.  I just don't see how Skype or phone calls with a 4 year old and an 11 month old will replace spending time with us.  My DIL's parents are moving with them and honestly I'm a little envious of them.  I don't know how I'm not going to break down around them.   My son leaves next weekend.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Imtheneenee said:

I'm a Newbie here and found comfort tonight knowing I am not the only person with a heart that hurts because my son and DIL are moving 8 hours away with my 2 GS.  Welcome!So sorry you're hurting, but glad you found comfort in knowing you're not alone. I just don't see how Skype or phone calls with a 4 year old and an 11 month old will replace spending time with us. Of course, you don't! And chances are nothing can "replace" being together. But, hopefully, Skype, etc. will ease your pain a little bit. Also, it may not help much to hear this now, but it will get better as the kids get a little older.  My DIL's parents are moving with them and honestly I'm a little envious of them. That's an understandable reaction, too, IMO (in my opinion). I hope you don't mind my asking, how did that come about? I don't know how I'm not going to break down around them.  Hopefully, it will help to keep venting your feelings here instead of around DD and family. But I don't think it will hurt to let them know you'll miss them, and even shed a few "farewell" tears, as long as you don't totally "break down." I wish you all the strength and courage you need to face this. My son leaves next weekend. So that means that DIL and the the boys will be in your vicinity a little longer then? I hope that makes it easier for you than if they all left at once. But I know, I know, you wish they weren't leaving at all. (((Hugs!)))

1 hour ago, Imtheneenee said:

I'm a Newbie here and found comfort tonight knowing I am not the only person with a heart that hurts because my son and DIL are moving 8 hours away with my 2 GS.  I just don't see how Skype or phone calls with a 4 year old and an 11 month old will replace spending time with us.  My DIL's parents are moving with them and honestly I'm a little envious of them.  I don't know how I'm not going to break down around them.   My son leaves next weekend.

Welcome neenee, you've come to the right place! My son is career Navy...two of his kids were born 800 miles away, the third 300 miles away...I got on a plane and was present for all births (waiting room warrior for #1, home with the 3yo for #2, and waiting room warrior after getting the olders to school for the last)...DIL was generous with pictures and they were able to visit every 3-4 months so I bonded. When things started happening (crawling, walking, feeding themselves, special occasions, etc) I saw via skype. The older boy is not a phone guy, but he'll prattle on via skype, telling & showing me all about his latest project. The girlie showed me all her tumbling/gymnastics stuff, the baby was crawling and the dog was in every shot. They live closer now, and I see them at least monthly. Every visit starts with the 4yo flying into my arms along with hugs from the olders...the same greetings I have always had from them. These relationships are precious...the kids are now 10, 7 and almost 5. 

Send cards and letters, even if they can't read. Kids love snail mail...anything with their name on it. Simple one page "newsy" letters asking about their new house, school, friends, whatever will show them you care and keeping them in the loop with what you are doing, especially with things they made have done with you.. Talk to your son to get him on board with keeping you connected so he'll help them write to you. There are story books you can record for them to play...DS did "build a bear" for each of his kids to play while he was at sea...they love them and are especially important since their parents have divorced.

Ignore the part about DIL's parents moving as well...other than the kids will have an easier adjustment with them there. Try to see the good and let the rest go. My kids PGM, now 85 has been mostly a long distance GM all their lives (same with all 11 of her GK)...they all adore her. DS met up with her today with his kids, new DIL & her 2 kids...I saw the pix on FB....DD's comment on the thread was "most awesomest Grandma EVER!...She stayed connected...my DD, her first grandchild, just turned 40.

Sorry for rambling....hope you find something worthwhile out of it.

2 people like this

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the ideas to stay connected.  I will definitely be utilizing snail mail.  I sent Valentine's Day cards this year to the boys even though they were in town and it was a big hit. 

3 people like this

Skype is useful, I use skype with AC and GK.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Imtheneenee said:

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the ideas to stay connected.  I will definitely be utilizing snail mail.  I sent Valentine's Day cards this year to the boys even though they were in town and it was a big hit. 

You're welcome. And obviously you are on the right track already...just let the emotional haze clear, move on with your "new normal" and make it work for you.

2 people like this

On 8/13/2017 at 9:19 PM, Imtheneenee said:

I certainly feel your pain! I just found out that my son in law is being stationed in Japan. Im devastated....i need to be near my family. My daughter doesnt want to talk with me about it right now because i can't keep it together, i break down every time. I feel like my life is over. I always thought id have involvement in my children's/grandchildren's lives. As it turns out.....i dont know how im supposed to feel.

13 minutes ago, Gumdrop said:

I certainly feel your pain! I just found out that my son in law is being stationed in Japan. Im devastated....i need to be near my family. My daughter doesnt want to talk with me about it right now because i can't keep it together, i break down every time. I feel like my life is over. I always thought id have involvement in my children's/grandchildren's lives. As it turns out.....i dont know how im supposed to feel.

Welcome Gumdrop....you feel how you feel....and it's ok. This isn't necessarily a black & white issue. How long will they be in Japan? Dust off your passport and get a credit card offering international miles, use it for everything then pay off monthly...your usable miles will add up quickly. Email, snail mail & skype will be your new go-to communication devices. 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Gumdrop said:

Another welcome, Gumdrop! And lots of (((hugs!))) IMO (in my opinion), there's no "supposed to" about it - as Mame said, "you feel how you feel." In fact, as you can see from this thread, it's fairly common for GPs to be deeply upset at this kind of move, just as you are.

IMO, everything Mame said is right on target. If you don't have a passport, no doubt, in time, you can get one. If you don't feel you can travel for any reason, then you'll have to lean even more heavily on skype, etc. Also, perhaps, after a while, they'll be able to come and visit you.

I'm sorry you can't talk about this w/ DD (dear daughter). But I don't blame her for not wanting to. It must be hard for her to see you break down over a change that's coming up in her life. Please remember that this move may be hard for her, too - leaving everything & everyone she knows to live and raise children (II take it they have kids) in another country.

Fortunately, you have us to talk/vent your feelings to now. As you can see, you have support and understanding here... Peace...

1 person likes this

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally understand the logic in the situation and in what you're saying.

They are adults n living their life just as they're supposed to be doing. Im very proud of my children. 

I havent wanted to talk to my daughter about this because i don't want to be a "downer " for her. I am upset but told her i support the choices they make, it isnt my place to question. Im just feeling sorry for myself....and selfish. I have always dreamt of having my grandchildren over, shopping together, baking cookies.....none of this will happen at least for awhile. I tried to prepared my daughter for what being a navy wife would be, i didnt prepare myself.

Ill struggle through i have no choice but i cant help feeling cheated out of my dreams.

Thanks again. It helps having other GMs to talk to

5 hours ago, Gumdrop said:

I tried to prepared my daughter for what being a navy wife would be, i didnt prepare myself.

I'm a Navy mom...and it's no picnic. He does things I never need to know anything about...I'd be saving for a visit....at least once a year....:yahoo:

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Gumdrop said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally understand the logic in the situation and in what you're saying.

They are adults n living their life just as they're supposed to be doing. Im very proud of my children. 

I havent wanted to talk to my daughter about this because i don't want to be a "downer " for her. I am upset but told her i support the choices they make, it isnt my place to question. Im just feeling sorry for myself....and selfish. I have always dreamt of having my grandchildren over, shopping together, baking cookies.....none of this will happen at least for awhile. I tried to prepared my daughter for what being a navy wife would be, i didnt prepare myself.

Ill struggle through i have no choice but i cant help feeling cheated out of my dreams.

Thanks again. It helps having other GMs to talk to

Glad it helps to talk w/ us!

I so understand about your "feeling cheated." Hopefully, those feeling will ease up as you adjust.

1 person likes this

3 years and 3 months ago my daughter moved to FL from CA. My grandchildren were 2 (Granddaughter) and 4 (almost 5) (Grandson) and she was due to give birth 6 weeks later to a 3rd. 

I was very happy for them but at the same time very sad for me. They were my world. I had never been away from my daughter (my only child) and I was very close to my 2 grandchildren having them in my life everyday since they were born. 

I cried for 6 months! I visited them twice but it wasn’t the same. The kids missed me and all they would say was “I want to go to your house Grandma!”

3 Years And 3 months later I still go there to visit about every 3 months and stay for 2 weeks each time. I talk to them on FaceTime but it’s become less and less because my daughter is so busy. 

There is something I didn’t think would happen. When I go there and stay, I’ve been noticing that my daughter has little to no patience. She and her husband yell at my oldest grandson about everything under the sun. He is just shutting them out. I tried to talk to my daughter about this and we were always close but now she literally bites my head off! When I try to do normal Grandma things not thinking I’m doing anything wrong my son-in-law tell me Grandma doesn’t have any boundaries and yells at me in front of the kids, bringing me to tears. I never ever thought anything like this would happen. I don’t want to visit anymore because of this but I do in order to see the kids. I know I’m not a burden when I’m there because I help them with the kids. I pay for all of their groceries, our meals out, etc. When we retire there it will be better because the kids can again be at my house and I don’t have to be under my daughter’s roof. I am still so sad they are always yelling at my grandson. 

My husband and I are planning to retire near them in FL. In 2018

Has anyone had this same experience? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DandJsGrandma said:

3 years and 3 months ago my daughter moved to FL from CA. My grandchildren were 2 (Granddaughter) and 4 (almost 5) (Grandson) and she was due to give birth 6 weeks later to a 3rd. 

I was very happy for them but at the same time very sad for me. They were my world. I had never been away from my daughter (my only child) and I was very close to my 2 grandchildren having them in my life everyday since they were born. 

I cried for 6 months! I visited them twice but it wasn’t the same. The kids missed me and all they would say was “I want to go to your house Grandma!”

Such a dramatic change! I'm not sure how I would handle it. I'm sorry you cried for so long, but I understand why.

3 Years And 3 months later I still go there to visit about every 3 months and stay for 2 weeks each time. I talk to them on FaceTime but it’s become less and less because my daughter is so busy. 

Ugh! Frustrating! I imagine the kids are busier, too, now that they're older, w/ homework, extracurricular activities, play dates, etc.

There is something I didn’t think would happen. When I go there and stay, I’ve been noticing that my daughter has little to no patience. She and her husband yell at my oldest grandson about everything under the sun. Poor kid! Is he being defiant though? Breaking rules? Do they give him any other consequences besides yelling? He is just shutting them out. I tried to talk to my daughter about this and we were always close but now she literally bites my head off! B/c you're criticizing her and SIL's parenting - or b/c you've hit a nerve. Hard to gauge. Regardless, I know you didn't ask for advice, but if you're interested, I have a couple of ideas to share. When I try to do normal Grandma things not thinking I’m doing anything wrong my son-in-law tell me Grandma doesn’t have any boundaries and yells at me in front of the kids, bringing me to tears. So sorry about this! How rude and clumsy of SIL! IMO, if he has any issues w/ you, he should speak to you privately and w/ respect. Sounds like you and he have different perceptions of what are "normal Grandma things" vs. crossing "boundaries." Do you feel comfortable giving us a few examples of what those things are? If you're interested, we might be able to help you figure this out & cope w/ it better.  I never ever thought anything like this would happen. I don’t want to visit anymore because of this but I do in order to see the kids. I know I’m not a burden when I’m there because I help them with the kids. I pay for all of their groceries, our meals out, etc. How generous of you! Above & beyond, etc! DD (dear daughter) and SIL may still find it disruptive to have a guest in their home for 2 weeks though. Would it help, do you think, to cut your visits down to one week? When we retire there it will be better because the kids can again be at my house and I don’t have to be under my daughter’s roof. Sounds like a plan! I am still so sad they are always yelling at my grandson. Are you sure it's "always?" I don't mean to be insensitive, but could it be a by-product of the tensions that crop up during these 2-week visits? Not suggesting that you're somehow to blame - just, maybe, the situation. Another reason shorter visits might be better.

My husband and I are planning to retire near them in FL. In 2018

So that's this year! Great! Just please make sure you don't fall into a habit of dropping in on them unexpectedly. (Chances are, you wouldn't, especially the way you feel in their house. Only saying this b/c some GPs do.) Also, please avoid having any fixed expectations as to how often your grands will come over. Their lives, as I'm sure you know are different now than 3 years ago. I trust you can be flexible and just enjoy them whenever you see them.

Has anyone had this same experience? 

Oh, trust me, many people here have. We hear about "boundary issues" from both GPs and younger parents, whether they live near or far or whether or not the basic relationship is close. I'm close w/ my own (nearby) DDs, but have to keep my eye on boundaries w/ them, also. You are not alone!

Welcome back, DandJsGrandma! Long time no see!

I remember you and how devastated you were when you found out DD and family were moving so far away! I'm glad you've been able to visit and talk to them on FT. But I'm sorry you're facing new issues. (((Hugs!)))

I've made some comments on your quoted post, as you can see. Hope they're helpful! No doubt, you'll receive words of comfort, empathy, and perhaps good advice from other posters, as well.

Edited by RoseRed135

P.S. A lot has changed since you were here last. At your leisure, you might want to check out the following threads (even though you haven't "just joined").

Please note that the 10-post rule only applies to those who joined in December 2014 or after, so not a concern for you.

While it says "on this forum" in here ^^^, these rules are actually for the whole community - Forums, Blogs, Gallery, etc. In fact, you'll find a similar thread or the link to one pinned to every group.

Also, please note that these guidelines were originally posted in 2015. and updated/refined since then. As such, not all of them may necessarily be reflected in any threads you might read that are older than that. Nor do we mods go back and edit/delete posts in such old threads retroactively.

I am a newbie GF here.  This may be premature but my AS told me today that he may be promoted to an office 500 miles away. He works for the company I retired from and I know enough about their procedures that this is likely a done deal.  Perhaps it won't happen, but this is wishful but not realistic thinking. I have a ton of things on my mind - my brain has been spinning all day - but I will save them for another time.  My 2 GC are my life, especially my 8 y/o GD. I now watch my 4 y/o GS daily. We are very involved with them, we spend a LOT of  time together and I see one or both of them almost daily.  I retired a year ago mainly to be able to watch them all the time (outside of school for my GD).  I've been on verge of tears all day.  My DW is just rather angry at them.  I am just glad I found this site and I've been reading it all day.  It helps.   

BTY, I am surprised that there seems to be so few GF's here.  But I don't mind being in the minority here :)

1 person likes this

Welcome PaDido.  I am sorry to hear that your son and family are probably going to move 500 miles away.

I raised my two kids over 500 miles away from my family while we lived less than five miles away from the inLaws.  The kids actually had a more loving relationship with my family.  We usually just saw them a couple of times a year though.  

My first granddaughter used to spend the days with her paternal grandfather before she started to school.  I know there is a close bond there.

1 person likes this

Welcome @PaDido. I'm so sorry this very real possibility is looming on your horizon. And you are entitled to feel how you feel about this, as is your DW...

My son is career Navy...at 20 he left home for Great Lakes (basic training) then Groton CT (submarine training for a year) then 3years in VA, 3 in WA before a change from subs to Black Ops...this base is closer to home. I see his kids more often than I see him...its a commuter marriage, but he'll be out of the Navy in a couple of more years then for the first time in 20 years he'll be less than hour away. You just deal with it. Because you have no other choice. 

Not sure why there aren't too many grandpas here, but since men & women process these things differently, that may be the reason.

1 person likes this

On 2/2/2018 at 11:02 PM, PaDido said:

I am a newbie GF here.  This may be premature but my AS told me today that he may be promoted to an office 500 miles away. He works for the company I retired from and I know enough about their procedures that this is likely a done deal.  Perhaps it won't happen, but this is wishful but not realistic thinking. I have a ton of things on my mind - my brain has been spinning all day - but I will save them for another time.  My 2 GC are my life, especially my 8 y/o GD. I now watch my 4 y/o GS daily. We are very involved with them, we spend a LOT of  time together and I see one or both of them almost daily.  I retired a year ago mainly to be able to watch them all the time (outside of school for my GD).  I've been on verge of tears all day.  My DW is just rather angry at them.  I am just glad I found this site and I've been reading it all day.  It helps.   

BTY, I am surprised that there seems to be so few GF's here.  But I don't mind being in the minority here :)

Another welcome, PaDido! Sorry you found us under such (possibly) negative circumstances, but glad that reading here has helped! Also, always glad to have another GF here. As you've noticed, we don't get too many of them.

I'm so sorry you & DW got this sudden news about AS and family possibly moving far away. It must have given you quite a jolt, especially after having retired in order to watch your GC! I'm sorry you've "been on the verge of tears all day" & that DW is so angry. But, IMO, these are very "normal" reactions.. My heart goes out to both of you!

.As the regular caregiver for my own 2 DGC, I'm sure it would hit me very hard if their mom/my YDD suddenly told me they would/might be moving hundreds of miles away. I expect the amount and nature of the time I spend w/ them to change over the years, and it already has, to some degree (they're older than yours). But a dramatic change like you're talking about would be difficult to accep

But, no doubt, I would adjust in time. And though it probably doesn't seem like it now, so will you and DW. It's good, in a way, that AS told you before the promotion actually occurs - that gives you & DW more time to process the news. As you've been reading here, I hope you noticed the many ways LDGPs maintain contact w/ their AC and families. I'm sure that, in time, you and yours will figure out what would work best for all of you.

For now, I think it's very wise of you to come and vent your feelings here, rather than at AS and DIL... Peace...

Edited by RoseRed135
typo
1 person likes this

I am touched to read all your immediate replies to my post.  I wish I knew how to get rid of this rock in my stomach and lump in my chest that won't go away.  Today my 4 y/o GS was here as usual.  It was almost a surreal feeling - I tried to keep things as normal as possible, and I was so glad he was here, but  in my mind I kept thinking that this might be coming to an end and my heart was broken.   My GD came with my son to pick him up and I hugged her more tightly than usual thinking the same thing.  My other 2 y/o GS (my DD's) was also here too and that really lightened the load.  I know my DD would never move away from us, thankfully.  My DSIL already has turned down a huge promotion with the giant corporation he works for because he refuses to move.  I am lucky to have them in my life

My heart goes out to you Mame929 and SueSTx for your LD relationship.  We have a few friends whose DS/DD moved far away and I am so sad for them.  I know it is tough for them when we discuss our GC.  I always felt lucky/blessed that both my kids live nearby.  Sometimes I would complain to them about something that happened with the GC, then it would hit me and I would feel guilty as they would love to have their GC with them and have these minor issues. Oh wow, I cannot believe that I may be joining their club,

I want to go on and explain what a dear relationship I have, esp with my GD, but I am sure that you all likely have the same; that is why you are here.  I am still so proud to know that "papa" is her favorite, as everyone always tells me.  I know kids are very resilient, but I am forlorn as this would be so heart-wrenching for her too . 

RoseRed125, my son never actually told me about the promotion.  In a text about something else he casually asked me to help with the GC next week as he had to travel to the corporate office. I know there would never be a reason for him to go to this office otherwise.  I just learned he had a meeting with the same folks last week too.  I actually called him right away to ask him outright and he skirted the question and was vague, not giving me a direct answer.   I am disappointed that he could not be forthcoming with me if a promotion/move is in the works, i.e. "Dad, I have this opportunity that I want to tell you about..."  This is what makes my DW angry.  Perhaps he did not want to hurt me until and unless it does happen.  Unfortunately, my DIL has often said she would like to move South to get away from our cold Midwest winters and also, I don't think she appreciates having the family nearby.  

I don't want to count on it, but there is still a thread of hope in my heart that this may not even materialize.  Oh please oh please oh please... 

Thank you for "listening" to my ramblings and I really appreciate your thoughts and support.  No matter what happens, this forum has really helped me with what I am going through right now.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, PaDido said:

My heart goes out to you Mame929

Thanks, however I'm not sad about it. I actually haven't missed anything. I was present in some form for the births of his 3 kids, who I remain very close to. We skyped, they sent pictures  and visited every few months....DS has created a wonderful career for himself, I'm wonderfully proud of him. He's doing exactly what he was raised to do...follow his bliss. We remain very close...same as with his sisters...we speak frequently, we are all busy. One lives 1/2 an hour south, one an hour north and DS' wife lives about 45 min east...DS comes home on weekends. I keep the kids from time to time...but not routinely and certainly not all at one time...there are 10 of them now.

1 person likes this

...DS has created a wonderful career for himself, I'm wonderfully proud of him. He's doing exactly what he was raised to do...follow his bliss.

Mame925,  I too need to be proud of my son if he does get this promotion. I am trying not to lose sight of that.  I had a similar opportunity presented to me about 30 years ago, and I passed on it as I did not want to move away from my and my DW's family.  I never regretted it.  For me, no amount of success I would get from my job would overcome my need to be with my family.   I guess we do have different priorities.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Congrats too on 10 GC!  Wow!

1 person likes this

In this age of instant communication where someone lives doesn't much matter....when DS was at sea there wasn't much communication, other than that, it's all good...

Funny story...the #1GS was born while DS was somewhere under the Mediterranean...his fiancee came to the hospital to pace for him. (My kids are very close...he'd have been there himself if he could). His mail caught up with him about a month later where he found a full written report from his fiancee and some pictures...he immediately called DD to get all the details for himself...he was crying, she was crying and he could hear the baby crying in the background...when he came home in November DD & GS met him at the airport, the baby went right to him and spent most of the visit propped up on DS' shoulder. 13 years later....it's still Uncle & #1 nephew...

1 person likes this

Thanks for filling us in further, Pa! I'm glad you realize you "need to be proud of (your) son" if he gets this promotion. But your feelings of sadness are probably getting in the way right now. Very understandable, IMO.

Chances are, the reason he didn't tell you was, in fact, that he "did not want to hurt" you and DW or worry you unnecessarily, in case the promotion doesn't come through. Also, TBF, technically, he doesn't have to discuss this possible promotion w/ anyone except DIL. But since you asked him straight out, I wish he had answered straight out instead of being evasive.

Or could he be anticipating an argument? If so, perhaps he doesn't want to deal w/ that prematurely.

Unfortunately, my DIL has often said she would like to move South to get away from our cold Midwest winters and also, I don't think she appreciates having the family nearby.  

Has she shown any signs of resenting your family's nearby presence? Do you suspect she's pushing for this move or that if just will fall into her lap (if it happens)?

I can't help but notice that you place the "D" for "dear" in front of all adult family members except your son & DIL. (I'm reflecting that in my replies to respect your choices & b/c perhaps they don't seem so "dear" to you right now.) But given your comment about DIL, is it possible there have been some tensions between you/DW & son/DIL for a while? And do you suspect that's also fueling this possible move? Or am I reading into things (if I am, I apologize).

Regardless, if son & family do move, I hope you find good ways to stay in contact, etc. Also, I trust you & DW will continue to enjoy your relationship w/ DD,DSIL and family. :)

1 person likes this