• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

What do you do to stay healthy?

20 posts in this topic

Are you among those who make a special effort to stay healthy? If so, do you focus mostly on diet? Or are your primary efforts in some sort of exercise, such as Yoga or Pilates? Or ??

In short, what are your main ways of keeping healthy, if any?

rosered135

Working on that one.  I'm so run down since Deanna died and my GDD living here and my DD fighting with us, my health has gotten really bad.

I tried to walk with my SO but once I walked too slow, major back surgery,  then I talked too much, then it was something else, so I just stopped.

I had 2 rotor cuff surgeries, several skin cancers, esp. on my legs, it seems one thing after another. My weight had gotten bad so for now my keeping healthy is getting once a month infusions for having a low immune system. Didn't help with the MRSA because I had only 2 infusions.

So that's my health in a nut shell, bad. Use to walk w/my GF more, but she just became a GM  2x and keeps her busy.

Maybe I'll try walking some more, but just get tired of SO complaining about one thing or another. :( 

So sorry about all this gifts! Hang in there!

I walk up and down our street with my mom because she is using walking and nightly PT exercises to strengthen up herself after she got out of rehab for her stroke.  I try to take a walk around our block in the neighborhood once a day in the afternoon when my mom is watching TV so I can get a little bit of distance going on.  We are both T2D and have HBP and cholesterol problems so we try to eat low fat and low carb (no judging please, just stating what we do).  Mom also has to drink decaf coffee/tea and not take ibuprofin and/or naproxen sodium because in Feb of 2015 she had a bleeding ulcer. Luckily, Mom takes no medicines for her T2D but does for HBP, cholesterol and various issues since she had her stroke in June.  I have to use insulin 2xd and also take oral meds for t2d, hbp, cholesterol.  We both take vitamins and calcium.

41 minutes ago, cjmmytunes said:

I walk up and down our street with my mom because she is using walking and nightly PT exercises to strengthen up herself after she got out of rehab for her stroke.  I try to take a walk around our block in the neighborhood once a day in the afternoon when my mom is watching TV so I can get a little bit of distance going on.  We are both T2D and have HBP and cholesterol problems so we try to eat low fat and low carb (no judging please, just stating what we do).  Mom also has to drink decaf coffee/tea and not take ibuprofin and/or naproxen sodium because in Feb of 2015 she had a bleeding ulcer. Luckily, Mom takes no medicines for her T2D but does for HBP, cholesterol and various issues since she had her stroke in June.  I have to use insulin 2xd and also take oral meds for t2d, hbp, cholesterol.  We both take vitamins and calcium.

Sigh... It must not be easy having to incorporate all the meds and diet rules into your lives, CJT. If it's any comfort, no doubt, many older adults and their parents are facing these issues. But, to my understanding, not all of them manage their conditions as well as they should. Kudos to you and your mom for doing it so faithfully!

Glad you get that walk in every day. Besides being good exercise, I'm sure it refreshes your mind and spirit. :)

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

Sigh... It must not be easy having to incorporate all the meds and diet rules into your lives, CJT. If it's any comfort, no doubt, many older adults and their parents are facing these issues. But, to my understanding, not all of them manage their conditions as well as they should. Kudos to you and your mom for doing it so faithfully!

Glad you get that walk in every day. Besides being good exercise, I'm sure it refreshes your mind and spirit. :)

@RoseRed135, it's not easy - but we know it has to be done.  There are times when I want to just say to heck with it and have a binge day and not worry about it, but I don't like the way it makes me feel afterwards.  This time of year coming up (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve) is the hardest for me food wise - all the candies and such that are coming out.  On Thanksgiving and Christmas we do eat a little bit of "junk type" food.  Thanksgiving we go to a restaurant that has a wonderful buffet, and they cut the desserts into tiny pieces.  After we have our fill of turkey, collards, sweet potatoes, a bit of mashed potatoes or stuffing with gravy and salad, we each have one piece of dessert.  The week before Christmas my cousin comes down and brings "goodie bags" that have homemade fudge, cookies, and such.  We pick one pieced of each out of the bag and use it for dessert for the day. The Sunday before Christmas we have lunch with another set of cousins and their families.  They provide the main parts of the meal and everyone also brings a side dish and/or dessert.  We do our pickled cucumbers and bring a purchased cookie platter.  We leave what isn't eaten there for the kids to finish later.  We cook for Christmas - turkey, ham, potato salad, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, collards, pickled cucumbers and salad.  We have my sister and her DH bring deviled eggs, savory corn pudding, and cranberry jelled salad.  One of my aunts brings a cornbread and a pistachio jelled salad.  Another aunt brings a chocolate pie, a lemon merangue pie, and a sweet potato pie.  We fix "to-go" boxes for everyone after we eat so they can take stuff home and we don't have much stuff to binge on later.

1 person likes this

One must take proper diet and do exercise to stay fit and healthy.

bump

I walk for 30 minutes twice a day with my neighbor who is also a grandparent and like me has lots of "issues" with the ex girlfriend mother of her son.  We call our walks our "therapy" sessions .  I dont know what I would do without them!

2 people like this

Walking is one of the best things we can do for ourselves.  If you are physically able, then do more.  We love to hike but had to build up to it.  The key is finding something you like so you will continue.  

@godsgifts Try slow, easy stretching.  It doesn't take a lot but you can definitely start to notice a difference pretty quickly.  

1 person likes this

I love to walk, but you CAN overdo it. A few years ago I was walking so much (sometimes 6 or 7 miles a day, and on the weekends as much as 10 miles) that I did serious neurological damage to one of my feet. Since then I have to really be careful about how much I walk and what shoes I wear, and I regret having done that to myself. I sure did enjoy it, though. 

2 minutes ago, Abuela303 said:

I love to walk, but you CAN overdo it. A few years ago I was walking so much (sometimes 6 or 7 miles a day, and on the weekends as much as 10 miles) that I did serious neurological damage to one of my feet. Since then I have to really be careful about how much I walk and what shoes I wear, and I regret having done that to myself. I sure did enjoy it, though. 

Sorry about your foot, Abuela, but thanks for sharing this info!

I don't blame you for enjoying your walks though - I love to walk, too. It can be delightful! :)

I live 3 miles away from my office and I was walking to and from work every day, then also walking about a mile to eat lunch several days a week. Sometimes in the evening I would feel like I hadn't really "gone on a walk" in the traditional sense, so I would add a walk through the neighborhood, which might have added another couple of miles. On the weekend, I would walk to a garden where I volunteered, in a town that is about five miles up the road from my house - sometimes carrying tools. I honestly think I could have gotten away with it if I hadn't also walked to and from the grocery store carrying heavy loads on my back - the closest grocery store was about a one mile walk each way. I still believe that walking is the healthiest and most natural form of exercise, and all around the world in other cultures, people walk many miles each day as part of their normal lives. Not only people who live in the country but also urban dwellers in other countries walk much more than we do here in America on a daily basis. I think the trick is to incorporate walking in your daily routine rather than reducing it to a form of "exercise," and I was doing that successfully except for the shopping which I think pushed me over some edge. I hope to someday heal my feet and be able to resume more walking as an integral part of my life. (however, I've bought a car now and won't be carrying groceries on my back any more - I guess I've realized I'm a little too old for that!) 

Trying to live healthier doesn't guarantee being healthy.  I have ridden my recumbent bike for five miles twice a day for months.  It helps with my circulation and blood pressure.

I was actually on my bike when I had my stroke.  Did that help with the seriousness of my stroke.  All indications are yes.  But I was also advised by my doctor start back at one mile and increase back to five miles but to only ride once a day from here with walking 30 minutes as the other doctor advised from here on out.  Walking aggravates my hip, leg and knee pain, so I may have to negotiate about that.

Edited by SueSTx

Well it looks like this forum could be a double whammy for me.  I am a grandparent raising a grandchild and 5 months ago was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been working super hard to deal with that as well.  I think its going to be a cool place to hang out.

1 hour ago, Stcajo said:

Well it looks like this forum could be a double whammy for me.  I am a grandparent raising a grandchild and 5 months ago was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been working super hard to deal with that as well.  I think its going to be a cool place to hang out.

So sorry about the diabetes diagnosis, Stcajo. Especially when you have so much else on your plate. Wishing you the best!

I usually swim three times a week and walk daily and eat a healthy diet. 

I will admit to being lazy about my back exercises and need to push myself on this. 

Edited to add: I make sure to follow up on my oncologist /surgeon visits, get my 6 month mammograms, and take all the meds without fail.

I also do what is needed to maintain emotional health.

Edited by pearlj
1 person likes this

Welcome, New Member! Glad you decided to come in and talk w/ us!

If that's your actual email addy in your username, you might want to change it for greater privacy. To see how to do so, just click on this thread:

I stopped eating meat- I have no idea what the results of doing such a thing would prove- But a few months ago, I looked at the meat I was preparing and was like, "Ya, know, that really looks disgusting-" Eventually, I stopped eating it- When I cook bacon for the guys, I want to eat it, but don't- I also quit eating butter and didn't replace it with anything, just use more olive oil, which isn't much anyway- Also stopped eating eggs, mostly- Still eat dairy .. I love cereal, cream in my coffee, cheese and yogurt .. I'm eating even more greens than before and have developed an addiction to freeze dried fruit and vegetables ..

Edited by Komorebi