• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Tobias41

BeeKeeping

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone here keep bees? I am thinking about becomming a beekeeper because I love to Garden. Right now I am doing my research via the library and my local club, but would love some insider tips and chat if anyone here had this hobby?

Are you in a beekeeper club or a gardening club (or both)? A beekeeper club formed locally about five years ago, and it's going full-tilt, still. Even the local community college has gotten involved. More and more people are keeping bees, and it's fantastic, I love to see it. The honey is incredible, too. Had no idea the flavors could be so different from one region to the next.

1 person likes this

Two of the GK are allergic to bees (as is my sister)....so no beekeeping happening here. However, there are at least two apiarists here in town. In working on my own allergies I get local honey...a tsp very morning doesn't hurt, may help.

1 person likes this

I have joined my local beeclub, but they meet once a month, and the next meeting is not till November.  My local college also offers an online series of courses through their extension program which I am also going to do along with the books and what not. 

10 hours ago, Mame925 said:

In working on my own allergies I get local honey...a tsp very morning doesn't hurt, may help.

I have multiple reasons for trying this: I am mostly interested as I am a biologist and the decline of the species worries me, especially with regards to genetic variety etc.  But I also hope to get a little honey for my allergies, I have heard harvesting pollen can help too.  In addition, beewax is one of our favority finishes for our woodworking hobby, especially anything that we are making that is intended for personal hygene or for eating with.  Lately we have had some problems with our beewax, not melting like normal or funny smells... some woodworkers have said this might be contaminants or pesticides in our beeswax. :(

The other big bonus is my garden could use some pollinators... so I am thinking on giving it a go... we will see as I learn more I am a bit worried what I might be getting into :)

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

I have joined my local beeclub, but they meet once a month, and the next meeting is not till November.  My local college also offers an online series of courses through their extension program which I am also going to do along with the books and what not. 

I have multiple reasons for trying this: I am mostly interested as I am a biologist and the decline of the species worries me, especially with regards to genetic variety etc.  But I also hope to get a little honey for my allergies, I have heard harvesting pollen can help too.  In addition, beewax is one of our favority finishes for our woodworking hobby, especially anything that we are making that is intended for personal hygene or for eating with.  Lately we have had some problems with our beewax, not melting like normal or funny smells... some woodworkers have said this might be contaminants or pesticides in our beeswax. :(

The other big bonus is my garden could use some pollinators... so I am thinking on giving it a go... we will see as I learn more I am a bit worried what I might be getting into :)

Two family members are keepers- They learned how 2s through the county college co-op, and local groups- Dont know where you live but be sure to inquire about zoning/code regarding keeping hives because some townships don't allow them- According to local keeper/s they prefer hives be about 2 miles apart- No idea why .. White sweet clover gets slammed up with honey bees- Many awesome docs about bees- There's one in particular that's my favorite, where it shows the bees measuring the inside of a hollow tree- Amazing creatures! Spraying for Zika killed millions of honey bees- Tons of books about bees, and keepers are passionate, talkative and more than happy to help- Seems you're into woodworking, you can build your own hives! Keep us posted! The Secret Life of Bees remains one of my favorite novels of all time ..

PS - dont be afraid to call a local keeper! they do love to talk!

Edited by Komorebi
1 person likes this

Thanks! My city is very tolerant of bees and the laws seem to promote them, there is one company here working to put them on commercial rooftops, and I even inquired about this but right now they are commercial only.  I do plan to get someone to mentor me either from the extension program or the club.  Also I have a really big fenced in backyard so I hope to put them towards the middle I think, but also plan to pay my neighbors in free honey!

So far the neighbors that I have caught outside are really excited about it, as they are all gardeners and have had similar issues in their fruit trees and melons with regards to polination. We have been working to attract them for a few years and although we have had some success with the wild honeysuckle we have let take over the light posts, we still have very few bees. Even bumblebees are scarce and they are one of my favorites to watch.... 

And I do hope to eventually make my own hives, but I am betting that will be a long time from now, as from what I have read understanding the spacing is very important. I still might have to carve a cool bee for my hive in any case. :D

My mom and I are both allergic to bees (get hives if we are stung) and my 2 youngest GD's have to have an epi kit with them at all times in case they get stung while outside.