• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Genealogy

3 posts in this topic

Is genealogy your hobby? Do you do research to trace your family tree or find out more about your FOO's (family of origin's) history? Or your spouse's/SO's, for that matter? W/o giving identifying details, please feel free to talk w/ us about your search here...

Edited by RoseRed135

PaternalGF line goes back to mid 1700's Virginia (via England). I qualify for DAR as well as DOC. My 3x PGF died shortly after the Civil War, his widow collected a benefit based on his service for the rest of her life.

Paternal GM line is Welsh...GM was born here, but her parents and 5 oldest siblings immigrated mid 1880's from Wales...the subsequent 8 kids were born in Tennessee. This line is tough to trace as both family surnames are the two most common in that country....and both first names are ridiculously common. I have been to the town they immigrated from...the house still stands.

Maternal line shows both MGP to be first generation American (Germany/Norway)...when my MGP married in 1924, his parents objected to him marrying "that German girl"...MGM rose above it all....I do have pix of my GGGM as well as GGM (who died when my GM was two)...

I have distant cousins on both sides who I met through our genealogy searches. Haven't seen either face-to-face, but its been nice getting virtually acquainted. On one side my GM and her GGM were sisters, my aunt was a bridesmaid in her GM's wedding, so 2nd cousins once removed...lucky girl, she got the height gene from that family...she, like my GM is nearly 6ft. The PGM side, his PGF & my PGM were siblings, so we're 2nd cousins...

It's wonderful fun to check out the actual sites where your ancestors once lived.

1 person likes this

@Mame925  - Wow! You know a lot of delightful details! And how wonderful that you have pix of your GGM and even GGGM! I'm lucky enough, myself, to have a couple of pix of my MGGPs on my MGF's side but that's as far back as I can go photo-wise.

Some parts of my FOO I can trace back further than others (same w/ DH). That just makes me hungrier for info about the other parts of the family.

Granted, one of the reasons parts of DH's and my respective FOOs can be traced further than other parts is b/c we each have cousins on one side who were doing extensive research long before we (well, it's mostly me) got all that into it. So we've got a lot of info on those segments of our FOOs already available. :)

@ All - Anyone else?

Edited by RoseRed135