• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
USA16JR

Did Your Grandparents do something like this or do you do something like this?

9 posts in this topic

My Maternal Grandparents had 10 Grand kids (I being number 6) and thy had tradition where they took each of of us on Vacation (Of Our choice had not be within the U.S. of course) somewhere when we turned 12 or sometime after that. My Grandparents took turn alternating with each Grandchild who turned 12 except for My Second Older Brother and Oldest Cousin ho both wanted to go  to the same place and about 17 Months Apart.  They have Two left (One is going to be 13 in a couple Months) who are My Aunt To Kids. 

My one Cousin who 12 was going to go somewhere with My Grandpa although then My Aunt and Uncle got a Divorce and I haven't hard anything about it. I really hope he goes somewhere in coming months even so he will be 13. I wnat him  to experience that. Although we all (well not everyone in out fmaily buy some of us took kind of a small Family vacation)  went to NYC  earleir This year,   But that not his 12th Birthday Vacation. I went on a Family Cruise same Year I went to New York city when I was 12. 

Yes I went to NYC for my 12 birthday Vacation. My Aunt (My Mom Younger Sister) and Uncle as well as My Oldest Cousin also came with Me and My Grandma. 

1 person likes this

What a lovely traditions, USA! And how beautiful that your parents and your cousins' parents trusted your GPs enough to let them do this!

As for me, no, my GPs never took any of us grands on vacation. However, a few times when I was little, my parents left DB and me w/ MGM while they (my parents) went on a trip.

DH and I have never taken our grands on a vacation on our own either though, granted, they're younger than you were when you went w/ yours. But we two, our DDs, SIL and DGC do all go together on a "family vacation" every summer. And DH and I have had our granddolls stay at our home for an extended weekend, once or twice, when YDD was away.

There are GPs here who often take/have taken their GC away on vacation and I'm sure you'll hear from them. No doubt, there are some members here who went on vacay w/ their GPs (as per your actual question), also, or whose parents/PILs have taken their kids on a trip.

We took oldest GC to Disney World when he was 6.  Almost by coincidence, we went again when his younger sibling was 6 (both GC went).  They now have another sibling who just turned 4 so, I guess, we are looking at another trip in a couple of years. The GC certainly think that is a wonderful plan. But that's not taking each one on an individual trip which sounds delightful, as long as the parents are on board with the plan. What a lovely tradition.

Oddly enough, I can't even remember my GPs giving us a Bday or Christmas gift much less a trip.

I have gone on trips with my GC...but I can't imagine myself ever being in a financial position to take each one on a separate vacation.  It would be nice though.

1 person likes this

My mother took my daughter and niece to New York on a trip for a high school graduation gift. About ten years earlier (give or take) she did the same with my sister's daughter, to London, before the 2008 crash. I honestly don't know if she did a trip with my nephews, but she won't be doing a trip for my son -- she's got 3 dogs now, isn't as spry as she was and just moved into a new house. Plus, she doesn't know my son as well as my daughter. (Never connected as well with him as with her) 

So, it was a tradition of sorts. At least for the girls. I have no idea if she did anything with my brother's sons, either (he has two). 

1 person likes this

Woww, it's great. Your family is so loving and understanding.

@LopezK - Welcome! Delighted to have you here! :)

1 person likes this

How wonderful that your GPs had the means to initiate such a memorable tradition.  My GPs did not have money to do this but I spent most of my childhood with my MGM after school and many weekends because my mom worked outside the home (This is back when most moms were stay-at-home).  My MGM and I were very close and she taught me the majority of my life skills.  To me, the grandparent relationship is vital to a child's upbringing and can be one of the most enriching relationships a child can have. I don't think it is valued nearly enough in our society so BRAVO to your grandparents for creating great experiences and memories for their Grands.

Posted (edited)

Welcome BeWellMichelle.  We are glad to have you come in and visit with us.  We do ask members not to respond to threads that more than three months old unless you are the original poster with an update.  This thread has been inactive for more than six months and the original poster hasn't been back into our forums for a couple of months so I am going to lock this.

Please read the materials provided for new members at this link and feel free to look around and post in a variety of threads to amass your 10 post count so you can start a thread of your own.

Edited by SueSTx