• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Tell us about YOUR grandmother(s) (slightly OT)

5 posts in this topic

Though this is, generally, a forum for talking about being a new GP or GP2B, here's a place to tell us about your grandmother(s). And, if you will, about how she/they impacted your idea of the kind of GP you want to be, if at all

ETA: You may also be interested in this thread:

Edited by RoseRed135

Note from RoseRed: This post has been moved here from an older thread in this same forum...

Leslie102

•  
  • Leslie102
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

My mother's parents lived next door to us.  My parents were very young and I was their first child, so my grandmother helped with me a lot.  My mother used to work, typing, at home, and I often spent the whole day with my grandmother.  She was the best!  She cooked wonderful food, and taught me how to make family recipes too.  My earliest memories are of her singing German children's songs to me as I rocked with her on her lap in their rocking chair.  She was very loving and had the greatest smile.  When I was older, she and my mother argued a lot about things they disagreed about regarding me.  Their parenting styles were very different.  My  mom signed me up for dance classes, piano lessons, etc. - all things I disliked- never caring that I would rather be outside, climbing in the trees or going fishing with my grandfather.  She made lots of frilly, ribbon-covered dresses for me to wear, while I preferred jeans and baseball caps.  But my grandparents were aware of my likes, and never forced me to do things that I really hated.  I remained very close to my grandmother 'til she died, always keeping in touch with phone calls and letters.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with my mom.  We had long years where we had no contact, but reconnected the last years of her life.  When her doctors tested her in later life, they discovered she was bi-polar.  I always knew she was unstable, emotionally, but this diagnosis explained a lot to me about why my grandparents had to be so closely involved in my childhood.  I'm grateful to have had their loving guidance in the times when my parents weren't able to cope with parenthood.

Edited by RoseRed135

2 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Note from RoseRed: This post has been moved here from an older thread in this same forum...

Leslie102

•  
  • Leslie102
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

My mother's parents lived next door to us.  My parents were very young and I was their first child, so my grandmother helped with me a lot.  My mother used to work, typing, at home, and I often spent the whole day with my grandmother.  She was the best!  She cooked wonderful food, and taught me how to make family recipes too.  My earliest memories are of her singing German children's songs to me as I rocked with her on her lap in their rocking chair.  She was very loving and had the greatest smile.  When I was older, she and my mother argued a lot about things they disagreed about regarding me.  Their parenting styles were very different.  My  mom signed me up for dance classes, piano lessons, etc. - all things I disliked- never caring that I would rather be outside, climbing in the trees or going fishing with my grandfather.  She made lots of frilly, ribbon-covered dresses for me to wear, while I preferred jeans and baseball caps.  But my grandparents were aware of my likes, and never forced me to do things that I really hated.  I remained very close to my grandmother 'til she died, always keeping in touch with phone calls and letters.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with my mom.  We had long years where we had no contact, but reconnected the last years of her life.  When her doctors tested her in later life, they discovered she was bi-polar.  I always knew she was unstable, emotionally, but this diagnosis explained a lot to me about why my grandparents had to be so closely involved in my childhood.  I'm grateful to have had their loving guidance in the times when my parents weren't able to cope with parenthood.

Thank you for this detailed description of your MGM (maternal grandmother), Leslie! Sounds like she was a very loving and interesting person.

As for your mom, I'm sorry that she was unknowingly bipolar. But I'm glad that you, eventually, found out the cause of her instability. I'm also sorry that you and she were estranged for so long but glad you were able to reconcile in the end. And I'm sorry, too, that she, apparently, had so much trouble understanding the kind of girl you were. But TG, your GPs did!

How beautiful that your MGPs were willing and able to be there for you in the ways you needed them! And to give you that "loving guidance" that you talk about here. Thanks for sharing this very moving post!

Edited by RoseRed135

My grandmother was a very special person to me. I miss her...She was an awesome cook and a very feisty ol' french woman at the height of 4'11" she loved to play cards which her and my mom would cheat at, she would loose anyways and blame my dad and grandfather for cheating. lol

1 person likes this

@Hope49 - Such a charming post!

However, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum. For this reason, I'm going to lock this thread down now. I'll open a new one in this same forum and copy & paste your post to that.

Here's the new thread:

Edited by RoseRed135
to add link