• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Thanksgiving: Are you cooking this year? (Question of the Month, November 2016)

15 posts in this topic

What's happening in your family, this year, for Thanksgiving? Is it at your house or someone else'? Or will you be involved in more than one celebration? And are you doing any of the cooking or other preparations (making a centerpiece for the table or whatever)? Or ??

My new DIL is hosting Thanksgiving...I'm making lemon pie....it's DS's favorite. I plan to make small tarts (in the mini-cupcake pan) since they are expecting about 30 guests, but decided to run it by DS....he's a little quirky about his food....He said I could do it any way I chose as long as I made one regular size pie...which he will hide for later.

1 person likes this

On 11/1/2016 at 11:00 PM, Mame925 said:

My new DIL is hosting Thanksgiving...I'm making lemon pie....it's DS's favorite. I plan to make small tarts (in the mini-cupcake pan) since they are expecting about 30 guests, but decided to run it by DS....he's a little quirky about his food....He said I could do it any way I chose as long as I made one regular size pie...which he will hide for later.

Sounds good, Mame! And love the "which he will hide for later" part, LOL! Clearly, you make a very tasty pie! :)

We're cooking, co-hosting with my brother, his wife and his PILs. We baked/crumbled/dried/bagged the cornbread, wheat bread a few weeks ago, sauteed/froze onions, shallots, celery, broth, made and froze red sauce. We'll be in charge of turkeys, dressing, gravy, pasta, rolls, pecan pies, fruit and a sugar-free dessert or two. Brother has honeybaked hams, drinks, and a couple of his ridiculous favorite snacks. His PILs are on for fish, yams, a side, and some drinks. Our kids are bringing the vegan, vegetarian, sides, and some snacks. I hate hate leftovers, but the majority of the leftovers will mostly be transformed into soups/casseroles and moved to the Mountain for ski-weekend.

Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Sounds good, Mame! And love the "which he will hide for later" part, LOL! Clearly, you make a very tasty pie! :)

It's a killer, yet very ordinary recipe. I have a lemon tree, so everything is very fresh. DS can & has eaten a whole pie by himself. His new step son is also a lemon lover, so while the 6yo is excited about the tarts, DS may have to share his pie later. At 17 he was nearly 6ft tall weighing in at 150lbs, he was a stick, yet ate like a lumberjack. I made two pies for an event we all attended. Others had cut into one of the pies leaving half, so we find DS walking around and chatting with people while carrying around the other 1/2 pie & a fork....

I'm hosting at my house.  I cook the meals for just about every holiday since my DD was a baby and we learned of her allergies.  It's important to me she gets to experience both new and traditional food and learns how to safely prepare meals for herself when she gets older.  She's my best helper when it comes to preparing big holiday meals.  I've learned to revise most of my recipes so they are safe for her.  She's already told me she can't wait to help me with Thanksgiving dinner this year.  It warms my heart that she looks forward to it.  I've even got some awesome recipes from ladies on this site which I know my family is looking forward to again.

1 person likes this

I'm cooking as usual, DH likes my cooking, and always wants the same thing. Turkey from the farm, my GM's dressing and veggies grown in our garden. 

Neighbor will bring apps and wine. Desserts from DD and my cousin. And of course I have to make my pumpkin pie. DH does help with prep and clean up.

He enjoys having all the leftovers on Friday almost as much as the big meal! I like to cook and entertain so it really doesn't seem like a lot of work to me.

1 person likes this

I will cook for my immediate family.  I cook my turkey in a buttered paper bag (takes about 15 min/lb.).  We relax, play games, watch a movie or whatever strikes us.  If the weather is nice, we often sit out on the patio and play games or cards.  I enjoy relaxing holidays.  Used to do it for extended family, but that became too stressful for many reasons.  

DH, the kids and I are going on a road trip very early Thanksgiving morning to visit ODD in her college town. ODD at first was going to host Tgiving as she loves to cook but she changed her mind, so we are going out to eat. I love a road trip and enjoy visiting ODD's college town and am looking forward to time with DH and the kids.   We will be taking a detour on the way home to meet my parents, sibs and sister in law at my ODB's favorite place so we can spread his ashes.   

3 people like this

Sounds great, everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful time!

As I've said elsewhere, SnIL is cooking this year (ODD will make her killer salad but he'll do everything else - he really gets into it!). So DH, YDD, DGC and I will be going over there for TG, bringing our own contributions, as well. ODD and SIL have also invited the kids to sleep over and spend the next day w/ them. The kids love staying there and are really looking forward to it! :)

We will be a gathering of five.  The ham is in the oven and the fruit salad (my favorite) is in the frig...now off to the shower for me.

We are doing a potluck style with our traveling family, and since we are a culture clash group we are all making our own traditional 'thanksgiving' meals to share. I'm making the pastas and salads to represent Italy, we have a few making special soups, beans, and rice dishes for Mexico, Spain, and Cuba..then Ireland will be represented with several different potato dishes..  and then traditional American thanksgiving, of course with turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, green bean casserole, etc..but I am most excited about the Indonesian food that will be made to represent India. She has kept it a secret on what exactly she's cooking.

I am sure we will all over eat today.

1 person likes this

Unpinning this a little bit early since T'giving is over. But please feel free to add any thoughts if you'd like...

Lovely day for me.....I hope it was for everyone

Thanks Mame. It was for me, too.