• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

The "Hustle and Bustle" and Holiday Blues

7 posts in this topic

In "Coping w/ Holiday Blues," Kalana said she used to get very stressed during the holidays from all the work to make them "special." So... w/ several holidays approaching - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years - I'm asking, what stresses/upsets/hurts you, if anything, during this otherwise joyous time?

Edited by RoseRed135

P.S. Kalna also said she solved her problem by simplifying (fewer decorations, easier recipes, etc.). So I'm also wondering, what, if anything, have you done/tried to do to ease any stress/pain/sadness you may experience during the various holidays?

Edited by RoseRed135

DH was the original ELF....ugh...I've never been a Christmas junkie, so I had to consciously make an effort not to bring down his favorite holiday...and I wasn't always particularly successful. The first few years we were together he wanted to decorate the house from top to bottom. I helped him do it, and it was fun to a point. I just never got the rush from decorating. We decorated cookies with the kids, which we all enjoyed...and DH made fudge (to die for, blue ribbon winning fudge) and Kahlua, his own recipe, also award winning to share with family & friends. And I made my MGM's date cookies to share with my mom, sister, cousins and most of all uncle. I made them for his funeral this past April...the cousins and I had a "cookie toast" to him...he was last of his generation.

Also, I detest most Christmas music. Working retail ruined it. So much is poorly done. DH had a large collection of Christmas CDs and I added some from artists who did it right (IMO) that he wasn't aware of. A favorite is Marilyn McCoo, who sang lead for 5th Dimension in the 60's, glorious voice. He played the stuff I hated when I wasn't home, I picked when I was home. And he couldn't start it until the day after Thanksgiving.

Edited by Mame925
Removed that pesky sentence double posted at the bottom

Marilyn McCoo .. her voice brings me joy ..

Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years- Each has taken on different meanings for me over the years but now I've reached a point in my life where I've begun to think they don't mean anything- And by don't mean anything I mean they don't have to play out a particular way to be enjoyed- They've become more about reflection than anything else, about remembering the hustle and bustle of holidays past instead of continuing to partake in the hustle and bustle- I enjoy hanging live pine garland outside, draping it around the window frames, watching it collect snow- I enjoy falling head over heels in love with George Bailey every year and laughing at the talented Lillian Randolph's one liner- Although cast in a walk on role as a maid in that popular Christmas classic she had a very successful career- We don't party on New Years, but every New Years Eve I remember my dad talking about the pick pockets in Times Square, and how as a child I thought to myself how that sounded like a fun career, a memory that makes me uncomfortable to remember but at the same time smile at how absolutely gullible I used to be and easily influenced- Thanksgiving I can take or leave -- but my husband loves turkey and potatoes- We hope to do what we can for the homeless and Standing Rock during the colder months-

Edited by Komorebi

Lillian Randolph stole every scene she was in for "It's A Wonderful Life"....same with Natalie Wood in "Miracle on 34th Street"...

Things change, kids grow, people pass on....and life goes on...

I'm relatively flexible as a rule, but don't mess with my Christmas Eve.

So, the questions are:  

(1) "[W]hat stresses/upsets/hurts you, if anything, during this otherwise joyous time?" and

(2) "[W]hat, if anything, have you done/tried to do to ease any stress/pain/sadness you may experience during the various holidays?"  

First, my main stress each year has seemed to revolve around creating a suitably festive holiday environment (sensory: visual, scents, auditory with music, and the like).  It has always felt like it was my sole responsibility since, if I didn't do it, it didn't get done.  Most holiday squabbles have occurred around these preparations and executions.  

Second, to ease the stress, pain of conflict, and sadness following this tension, I have set in motion a radical plan for 2016.  I finally figured out in 2015 that no one wants to help decorate or create our home holiday environment, because that means that they have to help to un-decorate and put things away in the new year.  So, having no help in January of 2016, I resolved to leave all of the holiday decor exactly where it stood during 2015.  While probably not tenable as a long-term solution, my radical plan was simply to stop until someone else cared enough to do something, anything, to assist.  We shall see what unfolds near the middle of December, when our kids arrive back home.... 

3 hours ago, DebD said:

So, the questions are:  

(1) "[W]hat stresses/upsets/hurts you, if anything, during this otherwise joyous time?" and

(2) "[W]hat, if anything, have you done/tried to do to ease any stress/pain/sadness you may experience during the various holidays?"  

First, my main stress each year has seemed to revolve around creating a suitably festive holiday environment (sensory: visual, scents, auditory with music, and the like).  It has always felt like it was my sole responsibility since, if I didn't do it, it didn't get done.  Most holiday squabbles have occurred around these preparations and executions.  

Second, to ease the stress, pain of conflict, and sadness following this tension, I have set in motion a radical plan for 2016.  I finally figured out in 2015 that no one wants to help decorate or create our home holiday environment, because that means that they have to help to un-decorate and put things away in the new year.  So, having no help in January of 2016, I resolved to leave all of the holiday decor exactly where it stood during 2015.  While probably not tenable as a long-term solution, my radical plan was simply to stop until someone else cared enough to do something, anything, to assist.  We shall see what unfolds near the middle of December, when our kids arrive back home.... 

Wow! What a solution, DebD! Hope you let us know how they react.

Meanwhile, glad you decided to come in and talk w/ us! Welcome! :)

Though you're not a new member of GP.com, you haven't posted in the community before, apparently. So please click on the following for some helpful information, if you haven't already:

Edited by RoseRed135