• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Are you a holiday crafter or... ?

11 posts in this topic

December is coming soon - a month full of holidays! Whichever one(s) you celebrate, do you have a hobby that tends to become part of it, such as, arts & crafts, knitting, crocheting, etc? IOWs, do you make some/all of your decorations or gifts? And, if you will, how did you get started doing that?

Last year I started making felt xmas ornaments.  I made a whole bunch of them with the intent to start a box of ornaments for each of my 3 grandkids.  I'm intending on making more this year but having a bit of trouble getting motivated.  The tree will be up in a day or two so I'll probably jump in on them again this weekend.  I cut them all out by hand, hand stitch them etc.  some are my patterns, some I've found online.  Lots of fun to do but do make my hands hurt so need more help doing the cutting.

3 people like this

Last year I crocheted some covers for my old ball ornaments and used them along with some felt and plastic cross stitch ornaments I made when the kids were little and some felt and sequin ornaments my grandmother gave me nearly 50 years ago.  It made for a nice looking tree.  If I can find a nice pattern for some angels to add this year, I might do that.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Mdgrandma said:

Last year I started making felt xmas ornaments.  I made a whole bunch of them with the intent to start a box of ornaments for each of my 3 grandkids.  I'm intending on making more this year but having a bit of trouble getting motivated.  The tree will be up in a day or two so I'll probably jump in on them again this weekend.  I cut them all out by hand, hand stitch them etc.  some are my patterns, some I've found online.  Lots of fun to do but do make my hands hurt so need more help doing the cutting.

Are you able to post some pix of the felt ornaments? I do felt ice skates with colored laces, always a big hit...they make great package ties as well....

1 person likes this

Yeah I'm a holiday crafter. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, fenney said:

Yeah I'm a holiday crafter. 

Fabulous! What are you making this year?

18 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Are you able to post some pix of the felt ornaments? I do felt ice skates with colored laces, always a big hit...they make great package ties as well....

I'll try to remember to take a picture or two and post them.

1 person likes this

One year I made felt mushrooms .. I've made many, many (scores) of ornaments over the years- I was inspired by a friend of my mother when I was a kid- I sat with her one day and she showed me how to make little baskets with dried flowers and moss from halved walnut shells- I was hooked- Today I've maybe(? if that) a dozen ornaments that I made! because over the years I keep giving them away- One week I sat down with cotton thread for crocheting and figured out how to crochet nautical stars- One year I saved acorn caps and made felted acorns- So many ideas and inspiration to draw from on Pinterest- Simple elegant stuff that can be made for next to nothing- But  I LOVE mercury glass .. and old retro or older ornaments .. I love to tinker around with every day items and design stuff ..

1 person likes this

Always make my own wreaths and swags from evergreens in our yard. I have been known to make many, then hang them on friends doors for fun. When I was teaching in the classroom, each year i tried to make ornaments with the kids that they could take home and put on their tree. Simple as glittered pine cones with fancy ribbon, felt cut outs from a patterns, flour and salt dough ornaments, styrofoam bearded Santa's or snowmen made out of seashells. Kids always seemed to like it.  I still have some of the twenty plus years of samples that I made . If they look ok i still put the on the tree.

2 people like this

Now I'm in the mood to make ornaments .. :)

I'm one of those crazy right AND left brained people; i.e., I love numbers AND sewing/crafts.

For most of my life, I've made decorations, picture books, etc. I could fill pages here with all the things I've made over the years. Probably the most memorable gift I've made for my daughters (and several other people when they saw it) and then made for my grandkids is what I call an advent calendar.

In my family, we celebrate Christmas; yet, we attempt to not focus on huge gift-giving so much, especially between adults. However, the anticipation of the "littles" with the advent of Christmas is something that we celebrate. So, I created an advent calendar that hangs, covered, in a closet for most of the year. it magically appears while the wee ones are sleeping November 30th.

There are 24 pockets. 23 are small, and one is large for Christmas Eve. It takes me a couple of days to make one of these.

When my daughters were little, getting their advent calendar gift was a huge part of their day... as they grew older, it became a reward once homework was done, or chores were completed. (It worked really well!) Over the years, I became creative as to what was in each pocket and would attempt to have something educational (perhaps puzzle pieces of a world map), a toy (Legos), something personal (hair barrettes) and something treat-worthy (leftover Hallowe'en candy... just kidding!). One year, they got beads which they strung into tree ornaments. I still decorate my tree with those beads :) It kept me busy, making sure I had everything organized for the "elves" to fill the pockets... and it was so much fun.

Now, my grandkids love their advent calendars! The first year I made the calendar for them, i sent it filled with gifts, and a list of suggestions of what my daughters (oops, I mean the elves) could get for the following years. It was a hit with my daughters AND the grandkids :)

I like things like this that are somewhat traditional, and can be passed on... although my daughters have made it clear that I'll probably have to make a few more advent calendars once the grandkids have homes of their own.

I'm going to attempt to attach a photo here.

p.s. the first year that my oldest was at university, the doorbell rang one day and a courier handed me a box. It was from "The University Elf" and contained 24 presents for me to open each day, while waiting for my daughter to come home for Christmas. She sent things like candles, serviettes, and some hand-written notes which were so loving and thoughtful, I laminated them!

cropped advent calendar.jpg

5 people like this