• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

What do you do w/ your Thanksgiving leftovers?

12 posts in this topic

Most people I know have some leftovers after T'giving. SnIL makes so much food, he usually has plenty to give us all to take home, and this year was no exception. Years ago, my MIL would make hot turkey sandwiches for lunch on the Saturday or Sunday following TG and serve some of the leftover sides, as well.

What do you and yours do w/ TG leftovers (or those from Christmas dinner or any other large holiday meal)? Perhaps you even have some special recipes you make w/ them?

Edited by RoseRed135

Hot Brown was always a favorite in my house. My kids loved it. I always made the traditional one from the Brown Hotel.

Turkey Hash Patties

Saute small dice -  carrot, celery, onion (I also use red pepper) in frying pan; After sauted, in mixing bowl, add 3 cups (12 oz) of cooked turkey, 2 cups of mashed potatoes, 1 large egg, lightly beaten, 1/4 all purpose flour, salt, pepper, parsley, etc.  Form into six patties (2/3 cp. each) and place in frying pan with remaining oil, 8 minutes each side.

Great way to use up the turkey and mashed.  I really enjoy these.

Pie for Friday morning breakfast! Since I had dinner at DS yesterday I opted to not bring leftovers home....however, since I made lemon tarts for the dinner (huge hit, BTW) I have leftover crust ready to roll out. I may make small pies today just to have...they freeze well....two bite goodies.

Snack on turkey and left overs all day Friday. Pie for breakfast with left over corn muffins and cranberry bread. 
Left overs after Friday go into a soup or stew.

Thought this was a good time to bring this one back to the front...

Visited with DsD on Friday for a bit...she hosted her xILs (odd, but it works for them). Today she was making turkey enchiladas, something we did with the kids growing up. 

Ours are about gone except for turkey -- plenty of that left even after sending my son home with half of the turkey .. I figure I'll make old school turkey and noodles for my husband- Maybe a soup / stew too- Maybe turkey paprikash-

On 11/25/2016 at 7:41 AM, RoseRed135 said:

What do you and yours do w/ TG leftovers (or those from Christmas dinner or any other large holiday meal)?

My sisters, brother and I cook/buy plenty, but typically only have extra meat, dressing, pasta, yams, pintos. During Thanksgiving meal cleanup I made pasta-turkey-casserole and everything else was thrown in big pots for sister's turkey-dressing soup and brother's ham-bean-yam soup. I'm not a huge fan of meat sandwiches or leftover desserts - doesn't happen if I'm in charge of the count. I do love breakfast casseroles for ease and cheapness, over the 3 breakfasts we use up breads, ham, random-crudités.

It's too drizzly to ski just now. We want to use up leftovers for kiddie friendly MLK Day supper for a crowd.

Cooked steaks, 2 chickens, a big chicken pot pie, sweet potatoes, pintos, brown rice, corn, and Italian red sauce. 

Uncooked kale, peas, carrots, celery, red potatoes, brussels, garlic, shallots, and onions. Canned tomatoes, cheeses.

We sisters also have salads, desserts, breads of all sorts and I have all variety of pasta. That bit is covered.

Brother has beers, wines, juices and whipping cream. So predictable, I do wonder what they usually eat.

Ideas? Not just re-heated bits, but a real meal that we can come up with?

We (mostly all) hate to haul food home AND we generally hate waste as well. We're old, tired and cheap.

Could you make a gumbo style stew?  I'll take the Chicken Pot Pie off your hands.

Great Idea. Thanks. 

I asked my sister (who wanted/paid for the chicken pot pies) if de-constructing that last one into gumbo would be ok with her?  She thought that was a great idea, (even without shrimp or sausage).  My husband said we could shred all the various greens/collards/kale and add to the pot as my MIL would have during Lent (she wouldn't have used chicken meat during Lent no no no). Sister tore the pie apart and baked the crust (flour side up, with a goo on underside) super brown and then put that browned flour mess in her processor with broth. She chopped onions, celery and sauteed. We skinned, boned, ripped up my leftover rotisserie chickens. Dumped all the pie goo, chicken, saute veg, and brown flour mess, cooked until done, added the greens, peas, seasoned as normal gumbo, sitting waiting for supper. 

Other sister decided we would chop garlic, onions, carrots, celery and saute. Added broth, sweet potatoes, pintos, corn, red sauce, and cooked until done then add finely cubed steak. Seasoned Arizona-Mexican. It's waiting for supper.

Brussel sprout slaw. We plan on serving either stew on rice and we shredded cheese if anyone wants. 

We don't mind leaving carrots, onions, garlic, shallots, red potatoes, canned/pantry/frozen goods, beer and wine until next weekend.  Leftovers down to 2 big pots and salads/desserts (those always go home with some N/N or AC).

Inventive, easy, cheap - works for us old ladies.

Edited by JanelleK