• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Welcome December Newcomers 2016!

6 posts in this topic

Welcome December Newcomers, 2016!  And  welcome back, Returnees! All the best wishes for the holiday season!

In fact, the latest Question of the Month here, pinned to the front of this forum has a holiday theme:

Please feel free to answer it, whenever you're ready, as well other Q of Ms further down the page  (except those over 3 months old which are locked). Hopefully, such questions will help us get to know each other better.

As for me, I'm Rosered135, Lead Moderator of this group. I've also been happily married for several years and hubby and I have 2 wonderful adult daughters, as well as 2 adorable (of course) grandchildren (not to mention a great son-in-law)!

If you're new to this site or even just this Community area, please tell us a little bit about yourself, below, when you're ready (just key your comments into the Reply box and hit "Post"). If you're a returnee, please feel free to introduce yourself, below, too. (In fact, much may have changed since you've been gone, so you may want to check out some of the info threads listed here, as well.)  And if you're an "old hand here,"  :) please feel free to introduce yourself, also, and help welcome new and returned members, as well as direct them to other forums they may enjoy

In fact, this group was created, largely, as a springboard to other groups. So please let us know something about your interests/concerns  and we might be  able to help you find the forum or forums that "fit," if you haven't already. Also, please check out the following stickypost (discussion thread pinned to the front of the forum):

But I know how bewildering it can be when you (general) are trying to familiarize yourself with a new site or part of a site. So please see this stickypost:  :  

For specific posting guidelines, check out this thread: 

Whatever you do, delighted to have you here!  :):give_rose::db:

ETA:  If your actual email addy and/or first and last names are in your username, we recommend that you change that for greater privacy. To see how do to so, click on the following MIL Anonymous thread:

Read on for some GP.com info that you might find helpful...

Edited by RoseRed135
typo

Please be aware that GP.com  provides a Welcome forum and a FAQ section at the top of the Community Index. Here are a the links to a few threads you might find helpful (even if you didn't "just join")l:

For suggestions on how (and how not) to amass those 10 posts ^^^^, check out the following stckypost here in Club Newcomer:

For any further questions about how the Community works, technically and otherwise, please feel free to ask in the Member Questions section: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/forum/41-member-questions/

Please note that the 10-post rule does not apply in this ^^^^ forum but also that it is not for personal advice.

Hope you enjoy being here! :)

Thanks for the welcome, RoseRed135.  I am recently widowed, two months.  My second husband was the love of my life.  We were together four years, married three.  He had a blood clot in the subdural membrane that covers the brain.  He had wonderful medical care but died from uncontrolled bleeding six days later.  I have started grief counseling last week but I know it's going to take time.  Our kids are grown, out of the house and he had three grandkids.  The youngest we had planned on seeing for the first time for his baptism out of state, but then the blood clot happened and he died without ever holding him.  Only one, his step-granddaughter who is 11, lives kind of close but she came over less and less as she got more involved in school and friends. I am a honorary grandmother to his 5 year old grandson, I am not sure of my relationship anymore for the baby.  

I have stress from trying to manage the last orders of his side business, besides other financial issues.  He left a big mess, besides taking half of me with him.  We were great together, I could tell him anything and we accepted each other for all our flaws.  He was so funny and liked to get out and have fun.  We loved each other completely.  

I work full time and have two dogs to welcome me home.  But it's lonely, likely you can tell by now.  I hope to get encouragement from people my age, 55, by reading their issues and how they deal with them.  I hope I can put my two cents in if I think it can benefit someone.  Maybe there is a widow/widower forum I can relate to.

I have to get some sleep now.  My youngest dog thought it a good idea to toss her cookies on both couches before doing it at my feet.  I know she feels bad but she has to be in bathroom lockdown tonight on a tile floor and her dog bed.  

I look forward to looking further into this site when I have more time.

Welcome Texasbubbie....trust me, I feel your loss. My hubby of more than 30 years passed two years next month! He'd been ill for a number of years, but while it was time for him to let go, it was so very hard. We had a living trust so the issues were relatively simple; however, the amount of paperwork was still staggering. He was a smart, fun, funny person who totally "got" me. I miss holding hands, kissing & talking....The kids (all grown) are a wonderful support team and 9 grandkids (ages 3-12) are just the best ever. I took 6 months off, worked another year then retired. Working full time is just too hard for me.

Don't be in a panic to get it all done. Take a leave of absence from work if you financially can to get the paperwork done and the business stuff taken care of. Walk your dogs.

I've discovered I like living alone. I don't have animals because I'm just not ready to take of anything, his health problems spanned 10 years so the stress was overwhelming and just now starting to fade a bit. I did a bit of grief counseling and still struggle with some mild depression. There are days I'm still in my robe at 5 in the afternoon....He was a collector of many things...it will take years to sort through his stuff.

My heart aches for you, @texasbubbie! Your grief is still fresh, obviously, so though you're going for grief counseling (very wise, IMO), I understand when you say it's going to "take time." 

IMO, it's beautiful that DH (dear husband) was the "love of (your) life." Clearly, you found a "soul mate" when you met him. Not everybody does. I hope you can take some solace in that (same w/ you, Mame).

It's so unfortunate, I always think, that just as someone is in the first throes of sorrow, they have to begin dealing w/ legal/financial issues, including paperwork. Please listen to Mame and give yourself time/space to get it done.

We do have a forum here for single GPs, whether divorced, separated, widowed or never married called, "All Single golden girls & guys wanted." You might want to check out/post in some threads there, including this sickypost:

and/or this thread which is more specifically for widows and widowers:

Edited by RoseRed135