• Announcements

    • LatoyaADMIN

      What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

      You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

      Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

      We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
SueSTx

First of December...time for cabbage soup

15 posts in this topic

The "all you can eat cabbage soup" has been around for years.  This time of year, I make up a big batch and freeze it in single serving sizes for those days I just need to "eat" and feel full.

I think each person needs to use the vegetables they personally like as it is not objectionable to them.  I try to keep some in the freezer until the weather gets warm enough to work outside again.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you need a 'hint' on a recipe, google zero point cabbage soup and add what you like.  For a hearty family meal I sometimes add wild rice and sausage and serve with a crusty bread.

It's also a good way to use that leftover turkey you tucked away in the freezer for a later date.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That soup looks amazing!!! And rustic! Which I love ..  I chose the one from Food.com from the google results, the one with a solid 5 star rating- I love the way the person who wrote the recipe kept repeating in the ingredient list that "beef broth is best" LMAO I love the combination of beef and tomato- Thank you for posting this recipe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone feeling generous about sharing their soup recipes please do so! I love soups and stews .. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, its pretty healthy if you avoid the "extra" to put in it:

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breast, 4 -6 bonelss chicken thighs

Canola Oil

1 onion Chopped

4-6 Clove Garlic Chopped

1 bunch of cilantro Chopped

2 14.5 Oz can diced tomato

8 Cups Chicken stock

14 Oz Canned Corn (drained)

12 Oz Black Beans (drained)

2 TBS Chili Powder

2TBS ground Cumin

4 Bay Leaves

1-2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper juice or Franks Red hot

Extras

Mexican Shredded Cheese

Sour Cream (you can use greek yogurt... I swear there is no difference but DH disagrees)

Salsa

Chopped Avacado

Tortilla Chips (yellow corn works best)

Limes

Add the Canola oil to a large stock pot and saute your onion and garlic, when they are transluecent and fragrant, add the cilantro and cook for another minute or two. Add in diced tomato. chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, bayleaves, and cayenne pepper juice.. Bring to a boil... Then add your chicken and let cook until your chilcken is done through, remove chicken, add black beans and corn.  Once chicken is cool enough, shred and return to the pot, cook about 15 minutes remove the bay leaves, and done.

Here is how we make a bowl with the works. Crunch 4-5 tortilla chips and put them in the bottom of the bowl, add 1TBS shredded cheese, pour hot soup in, top with some salsa (we use mild as its more tomato-ish), avacado, and then the S cream - I recogmend it as even a little creams up the soup and makes it delicous, Squeeze a lime wedge over, and thats it.... If the "heat" is not to your liking DH adds Franks to it too. The end result is a stew like creamy chicken taco... in my opinion... the corn chips soften and act like noodles...  its wonderful and you can vary the ingredients as much as you want, sometimes I even use rotisserie chicken if I am in a rush as its still great. 

Our Christmas Eve we always make soups for the large family with each sibling bringing a pot, this is often the one that I am requested to make the most. When I cook I am a taster so I probably add more Chili powder and cumin than above as well as Franks, I like the soup a little spicy and then use the mild salsa/avacado/sour cream to tone it down a bit. I bet a can or two of rotel would be awesome too, I just have not tried that yet. 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicken Rice Soup for a crowd of Snow-Babies

1 1/2 large rotisserie chicken, shredded
(bones/skin in stock pot with water, other carrots, celery, onion - simmer/strain)

3 c carrots, chopped
3 c celery, chopped
3 c shallots, chopped
4 c chopped brown mushrooms
2 c chopped leeks
1 head garlic, minced
4 c rice/wild rice/brown rice (packaged mix)
5 qts broth (including strained broth from above)
2 t thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 c parsley, chopped

Saute vegetables, add broth, rice and herbs, simmer until rice is done, add chicken, adjust for salt and pepper.

Edited by JanelleK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2016 at 7:28 PM, Tobias41 said:

This is my Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, its pretty healthy if you avoid the "extra" to put in it:

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breast, 4 -6 bonelss chicken thighs

Canola Oil

1 onion Chopped

4-6 Clove Garlic Chopped

1 bunch of cilantro Chopped

2 14.5 Oz can diced tomato

8 Cups Chicken stock

14 Oz Canned Corn (drained)

12 Oz Black Beans (drained)

2 TBS Chili Powder

2TBS ground Cumin

4 Bay Leaves

1-2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper juice or Franks Red hot

Extras

Mexican Shredded Cheese

Sour Cream (you can use greek yogurt... I swear there is no difference but DH disagrees)

Salsa

Chopped Avacado

Tortilla Chips (yellow corn works best)

Limes

Add the Canola oil to a large stock pot and saute your onion and garlic, when they are transluecent and fragrant, add the cilantro and cook for another minute or two. Add in diced tomato. chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, bayleaves, and cayenne pepper juice.. Bring to a boil... Then add your chicken and let cook until your chilcken is done through, remove chicken, add black beans and corn.  Once chicken is cool enough, shred and return to the pot, cook about 15 minutes remove the bay leaves, and done.

Here is how we make a bowl with the works. Crunch 4-5 tortilla chips and put them in the bottom of the bowl, add 1TBS shredded cheese, pour hot soup in, top with some salsa (we use mild as its more tomato-ish), avacado, and then the S cream - I recogmend it as even a little creams up the soup and makes it delicous, Squeeze a lime wedge over, and thats it.... If the "heat" is not to your liking DH adds Franks to it too. The end result is a stew like creamy chicken taco... in my opinion... the corn chips soften and act like noodles...  its wonderful and you can vary the ingredients as much as you want, sometimes I even use rotisserie chicken if I am in a rush as its still great. 

Our Christmas Eve we always make soups for the large family with each sibling bringing a pot, this is often the one that I am requested to make the most. When I cook I am a taster so I probably add more Chili powder and cumin than above as well as Franks, I like the soup a little spicy and then use the mild salsa/avacado/sour cream to tone it down a bit. I bet a can or two of rotel would be awesome too, I just have not tried that yet. 

 

Sounds great! If you and your husband like heat you both may like Dei Fratelli Mexican Tomatoes with Jalapeno? They've more heat than Rotel- We use them often- My husband makes a sort of succotash that could be eaten warm or cold with corn chips- He used one can of the Mexican tomato, 1 can of beans (rinsed), 1 can of corn (drained) and mixes it together-

Edited by Komorebi
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2016 at 7:28 PM, Tobias41 said:

This is my Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, its pretty healthy if you avoid the "extra" to put in it:

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breast, 4 -6 bonelss chicken thighs

Canola Oil

1 onion Chopped

4-6 Clove Garlic Chopped

1 bunch of cilantro Chopped

2 14.5 Oz can diced tomato

8 Cups Chicken stock

14 Oz Canned Corn (drained)

12 Oz Black Beans (drained)

2 TBS Chili Powder

2TBS ground Cumin

4 Bay Leaves

1-2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper juice or Franks Red hot

Extras

Mexican Shredded Cheese

Sour Cream (you can use greek yogurt... I swear there is no difference but DH disagrees)

Salsa

Chopped Avacado

Tortilla Chips (yellow corn works best)

Limes

Add the Canola oil to a large stock pot and saute your onion and garlic, when they are transluecent and fragrant, add the cilantro and cook for another minute or two. Add in diced tomato. chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, bayleaves, and cayenne pepper juice.. Bring to a boil... Then add your chicken and let cook until your chilcken is done through, remove chicken, add black beans and corn.  Once chicken is cool enough, shred and return to the pot, cook about 15 minutes remove the bay leaves, and done.

Here is how we make a bowl with the works. Crunch 4-5 tortilla chips and put them in the bottom of the bowl, add 1TBS shredded cheese, pour hot soup in, top with some salsa (we use mild as its more tomato-ish), avacado, and then the S cream - I recogmend it as even a little creams up the soup and makes it delicous, Squeeze a lime wedge over, and thats it.... If the "heat" is not to your liking DH adds Franks to it too. The end result is a stew like creamy chicken taco... in my opinion... the corn chips soften and act like noodles...  its wonderful and you can vary the ingredients as much as you want, sometimes I even use rotisserie chicken if I am in a rush as its still great. 

Our Christmas Eve we always make soups for the large family with each sibling bringing a pot, this is often the one that I am requested to make the most. When I cook I am a taster so I probably add more Chili powder and cumin than above as well as Franks, I like the soup a little spicy and then use the mild salsa/avacado/sour cream to tone it down a bit. I bet a can or two of rotel would be awesome too, I just have not tried that yet. 

 

I made a big pot of this for dinner tonight and it was awesome! We each made bowls with the works and everyone loved it- Thank you for sharing it! Such an excellent winter recipe-

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Komorebi I am so glad you liked it! We really enjoy it! I am going to have to try your suggestion of adding  Dei Fratelli Mexican Tomatoes with Jalapeno - sounds awesome!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2016 at 2:56 PM, SueSTx said:

The "all you can eat cabbage soup" has been around for years.  This time of year, I make up a big batch and freeze it in single serving sizes for those days I just need to "eat" and feel full.

I think each person needs to use the vegetables they personally like as it is not objectionable to them.  I try to keep some in the freezer until the weather gets warm enough to work outside again.

I made this last night! 3/4's went to the guys and set 1/4 aside for me prior to adding the meat, which was Polish Kielbasa- We ate it before we took a drive to look at Christmas lights- Then I ate the rest of mine for lunch today, with a couple of slices of buttered olive oil bread- I love this stuff .. thank you again for posting it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I freeze it also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im afraid there wasnt anything left to freeze lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family has always loved this recipe, so much flavor!  I usually double the meat

1/4 c vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. Flank steak, well trimmed of fat
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
lemon pepper, to taste
1 tsp caraway seeds
8 c beef broth
1 lb tomatoes, canned with juice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/3 c fresh lemon juice
1/4 c dark brown sugar
1/4 c golden raisins
1 head Savoy cabbage or regular green cabbage, cored and cut into shreds 1/2” wide
2 bay leaves
4 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
sour cream or yogurt (optional)
 

 

In a large pot, warm the oil over low to medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Lightly season the flank steak with salt and pepper, add to pan and sauté 2-3 minutes on each side, turning once, until lightly browned.
 

 

Add stock and deglaze the pan by stirring and scraping to dislodge any browned bits. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Then add the lemon juice, sugar, raisins, cabbage, lemon pepper, caraway seeds, and bay leaves. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.

 

Discard bay leaves. Remove the meat from the pot and, using a sharp knife and fork, cut and tear it into coarse, bite-sized shreds. Stir  meat back into soup; add chopped parsley and dill. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, lovehummingbirds said:

My family has always loved this recipe, so much flavor!  I usually double the meat

1/4 c vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. Flank steak, well trimmed of fat
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
lemon pepper, to taste
1 tsp caraway seeds
8 c beef broth
1 lb tomatoes, canned with juice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/3 c fresh lemon juice
1/4 c dark brown sugar
1/4 c golden raisins
1 head Savoy cabbage or regular green cabbage, cored and cut into shreds 1/2” wide
2 bay leaves
4 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
sour cream or yogurt (optional)
 

 

In a large pot, warm the oil over low to medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Lightly season the flank steak with salt and pepper, add to pan and sauté 2-3 minutes on each side, turning once, until lightly browned.
 

 

Add stock and deglaze the pan by stirring and scraping to dislodge any browned bits. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Then add the lemon juice, sugar, raisins, cabbage, lemon pepper, caraway seeds, and bay leaves. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.

 

Discard bay leaves. Remove the meat from the pot and, using a sharp knife and fork, cut and tear it into coarse, bite-sized shreds. Stir  meat back into soup; add chopped parsley and dill. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if desired.

 

Welcome, lovehummingbirds! Glad you came in to talk with us!

This recipe sounds delicious!

However, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum. This thread is quite old. So I'm going to lock it now, until the Lead Moderator of this forum has a chance to look at it. Happy to see you've found some other more recent threads to post in. :)

Edited by RoseRed135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome lovehummingbirds, but rose is correct.  We do not encourage "bumping" of threads more than three months old.  Please reply to a thumbtack thread instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.