• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
BSW

Carrot Coffee Cake

12 posts in this topic

This is a yummy coffee cake which I like to make during the winter months.  It has carrots, so I consider it a vegetable serving:P

• For the cake:
  • 1½cups flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • ½tsp fine salt
  • 1tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¾cup sugar
  • ¼cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • ½cup milk
  • 2cups shredded carrots, patted dry
  • For the streusel:
  • ½cup brown sugar
  • 2tbsp flour
  • 2tsp cinnamon
  • 2tbsp butter, melted
  • ¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • For the icing:
  • 1tbsp unsalted butter. softened
  • 2oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¾cup powdered sugar
  • ½tsp vanilla extract
  • 2tbsp milk

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease and lightly floor a 9" round or square pan.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
  3. In a large bowl stir together sugar, vegetable oil, egg and milk. Add the dry ingredients and combine until just combined. Stir in shredded carrots.
  4. With the now empty medium bowl (that they dry ingredients were in) add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter and walnuts (if using). Stir until combined.
  5. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Spread evenly and then top with streusel. Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to cool completely in pan.
  6. While cake is cooling beat butter and cream cheese together with hand mixer. Slowly add sugar until well combined. Add the vanilla and beat a little more. If you like thick frosting stop here, if you want more of a glaze add milk until you reach desired consistency (one tbsp at a time).
  7. Ice cake (I use a sandwich bag to "drizzle" icing over cake) and enjoy!
1 person likes this

Stupid question: fine salt? I only have regular old table salt...

38 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

Stupid question: fine salt? I only have regular old table salt...

Not stupid at all....your salt is fine...I use kosher salt for everything....the only time I use something different is when the surface of something needs to be "sanded" with salt, then I'll use coarser salt. That said, I only use extra fine baker's sugar in all my baking...I think it gives better texture.

Second what Mame said.  Table salt is fine, and it is what I use in this recipe.  Also, for the icing, I sometimes just mix up cream cheese and powdered sugar, (usually 1:1 ratio) and leave out the other ingredients

1 person likes this

And, @BSWthis looks luscious and I will be making it....I love carrot cake anyway, so this is a really nice alternative to regular coffee cake (Betty Crocker, 1950 edition, my xMIL gave me the 1969 edition...recipe still there, still the best)

1 person likes this

OH yummy yummy...carrot and spice with cream cheese...great.  I will be doing this maybe for Christmas morning.

Sounds delicious, @BSW! You're activating my sweet tooth!

I made your recipe in a loaf pan, yesterday, turned out really well.

I cut the sugar, added vanilla, nutmeg and allspice, put the nuts into the batter, used coconut oil, used  half again more carrots, didn't bother with frosting.

ODD likes us to cook vegetables into healthy desserts.  Delicious.

eta: as I re-read, maybe that's not the recipe any longer  ;)

Edited by JanelleK

1 hour ago, JanelleK said:

I made your recipe in a loaf pan, yesterday, turned out really well.

I cut the sugar, added vanilla, nutmeg and allspice, put the nuts into the batter, used coconut oil, used  half again more carrots, didn't bother with frosting.

ODD likes us to cook vegetables into healthy desserts.  Delicious.

eta: as I re-read, maybe that's not the recipe any longer  ;)

Spicy, carrot coffee cake.  Sounds delish.

p.s.  I usually use less sugar than a recipe calls for too.

this sounds yummy!

Posted (edited)

Locking this old thread till the Lead Mod of this forum gets a chance to take a look at it. It may/may not be reopened.

Also, a post in this thread has been hidden for review.

@Cerkenzen- Sending you a PM (personal/private message). To find it, just click on the the envelope icon in the upper right corner of the page. Thank you. :)

Edited by RoseRed135

A post in this thread has been deleted as instructed in GP.com guideline #2.

That guideline along with all others can be found here 

1 person likes this