• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

"You brought WHAT to my house?"

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I guess I'm drawing on the Viorst book (referenced in other threads) quite a bit, but it covers a lot of ground, including some issues I've never thought of. One is about AC (or AC and family) bringing items w/ them to the parents'/PILs'/GPs' home that the parents/PILs/GPs might not appreciate or think unnecessary. In Viorst's case, for example, when he DS, Alexander and his family moved into her home, he brought w/ him "his own special coffee and pot." Viorst's DH was offended, exclaiming, "What - the coffee I make in this house isn't good enough?"

W/ 3 little children under 6, Alexander and crew also brought a lot of equipment, such as "a jogger, a baby swing" and "two wagons." He also came w/ 4 bikes - all his! Fortunately, Viorst and her DH have a fairly large, 3-story home and were able to turn over the whole 3rd floor to Alexander and his family. But for some people, I can see where all these items would cause some crowding and perhaps, some displacement of their own things.

So... what I'm wondering now is, if you're in a similar situation, have there been any issues over what your AC (and family) brought into your home? Or if you're the one who moved in w/ your parents/PILs  - or w/ your AC/CIL - have there been any issues over what items came w/ you?

Edited by RoseRed135

Ugh, I remember when we'd all gather at my MGM's and my aunt and DM would bring everything but the kitchen sink. I don't know how my MGM put up with all of it. My aunt would bring her two dogs, their bowls, their food, etc. (and didn't pick up after them in the yard). My mother would bring her coffee pot, her coffee grinder, her coffee, filters, other high-maintenance groceries and objects. It was a PIA hauling it all up there, packing it away, and if I was my MGM, I'd be insulted. It's not a vacation house, it's someone's HOME. Ask very, very nicely before bringing anything.

I would have an issue with certain pets, for example a snake and mice to feed to the snake.

Edited by SueSTx

I don't live with my parents, but I had to laugh at the swing, jogger, wagons, and coffee paraphenilia.  I travel with most of that when we stay overnight!  Baby has a stroller and an exersaucer at my parents' house, and when we stay overnight we bring a feeding chair, fold up swing, kids' sleeping bags, and yes, a French Press for coffee.  Mom has a keurig, when she has parties I bring a couple of coffee pots and carafes so that there's not a backup at the keurig (and subsequently, people hanging out in the kitchen and in the way!)

When odd moved back home with her two girls and her two dogs we got a storage unit so that we could move out some of my things to make room for their things.  Then YDD moved back in with her son (no pets thank heaven) and we got a bigger storage unit.  Other than toys and clothes though they didn't bring much into the house but only because we had the storage unit.  If anyone ever moves out, we'll loose some of the furniture in the house and perhaps some in the storage unit.  It can't happen soon enough for me. 

I'm a pack rat that is rapidly turning into a purger.  First project for the new year is to start clearing out the attic.  Right before xmas DH and I had a long conversation about whether to stay in our current home or move.  The house we have has 4 bedrooms that we wouldn't need if it was just the two of us.  However If we stay, we'd want to add on a family room and garage (so we can do more one level living).  Since that kind of makes no sense to make the house bigger we decided on a 3-5 year plan to ready this house to sell.  Soooo first step is to get rid of stuff.  

1 person likes this

My Gdaughter moved in with all her clothes! We don't have storage and young adult women have "stuff"! So two closets filled later and 4 pieces of luggage in the garage and more "stuff" to store. It definitely is an adjustment and organizing is an initial problem. I hate "stuff" and wish it all away! lol    

I get the coffee part.  I must have freshly ground beans and a full pot of Illy espresso every morning.    It's either that or life isn't worth living.    :diablo:

10 minutes ago, Maxine2020 said:

I get the coffee part.  I must have freshly ground beans and a full pot of Illy espresso every morning.    It's either that or life isn't worth living.    :diablo:

Ok, now I've got a yen for coffee, LOL!

However, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum. This thread is almost a year old, so I'm locking it down. Please stick to posting in more recent threads. Thank you. :)