• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Names for New Babies: Trendy V. Traditional

18 posts in this topic

Just saw parents.com's "top baby names" list for 2016 (Noah, apparently, is #1 for boys & Emma for girls- sorry, can't link it due to guidelines - though where I live, I'm hearing more of Jackson/Jaxon & Sophia/Sofia these days.) So now I'm wondering, what do you favor - trendy names, more traditional ones or those that are creative/unusual? How about common names w/ alternative spellings? Or any other preferences...

Edited by RoseRed135

Jaxon is very popular here but girl names are going back to more traditional...Millie, I've heard several times in the last few months.

I have a grandniece "Millie", but she's actually "Amelia"....still lots of Jackson/Jaxon, Noah, Jacob, Logan for boys...Sofia/Sophia, Emily, Emma for girls...none of which would be on my radar....none of my GK have any of these names either.

I was reading just this morning about Chicago Cubs fans naming new babies...the first birth for the new year in Chicago is named Wrigley (Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs). You will most likely see some "Kris Bryant" babies as well in Chicago.

Of course, I fell into that trap years ago...one of my German Shepherds was named "Rudi" after Oakland A's player Joe Rudi, local hero and wildly under rated player from the 70's dynasty team.

For my DD I opted for a European derivation of my favorite very common Anglo name, which was coincidentally xH's old aunt's name and a variation of my aunt's name...perfect. My kids carry an exotic sounding European last name, so it flows beautifully. DS got a straight up strong Anglo name (after his PGGF) that didn't sound 'sissy' with the very different last name.

Our kids have pretty classic names. 3 of them are Biblical (and 'common' use Biblical at that). Only unusual we have is that ds 11 has Wolf as a middle name, and our 2nd youngest has Wolf's birth grandfather's name (uncommon, and honestly, not a name I'd ever have used if it wasn't for who it was. Not a 'pleasant' sounding name to my ear, if that makes sense).

I personally dislike 'cr8ive' names. If you pronounce your child's name as 'Sarah', but spell it Syraiahyh, don't get upset that folks either mispronounce it, or misspell it.

1 person likes this

DD's name was very rare when she was born in 1977...I'd actually only heard it once, loved it, brought home to xH who also loved it...there are several ways to spell it. We made our choice...the name became extremely popular a decade later with an alternate spelling...which is the one found on the name racks in souvenir shops, not hers....she's good with it.

2 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

Our kids have pretty classic names. 3 of them are Biblical (and 'common' use Biblical at that). Only unusual we have is that ds 11 has Wolf as a middle name, and our 2nd youngest has Wolf's birth grandfather's name (uncommon, and honestly, not a name I'd ever have used if it wasn't for who it was. Not a 'pleasant' sounding name to my ear, if that makes sense).

I personally dislike 'cr8ive' names. If you pronounce your child's name as 'Sarah', but spell it Syraiahyh, don't get upset that folks either mispronounce it, or misspell it.

I'm not a fan of cr8ive names, either. I have a fairly normal name (spelled the way it sounds) and so do my siblings, but my maiden name and married name are usually butchered. I literally learned to spell my maiden name because I heard my mother spelling it on the phone. Sometimes it's not the parents' fault, though. My brother's name is Gabriel. On more than one occasion it's been mispronounced Gabrielle. He usually uses Gabe, now.

My kid has a nice, normal name, although her middle name is Keiron (pronounced Karen). It's her mother's name.

This was a huge hurdle for me and hubby. Out first was named Christopher because that was the only name we both liked and he was 7 weeks early. 

With our daughter it was even harder because we have very different name styles. I would have loved something Irish, Welsh, or Greek. He liked Samantha. We found a few and settled on Miranda. But I really wanted Persephone (nn Percy) or Sorcha. He told me we don't live in lord of the rings :/

1 hour ago, MirandaPanda said:

This was a huge hurdle for me and hubby. Out first was named Christopher because that was the only name we both liked and he was 7 weeks early. 

With our daughter it was even harder because we have very different name styles. I would have loved something Irish, Welsh, or Greek. He liked Samantha. We found a few and settled on Miranda. But I really wanted Persephone (nn Percy) or Sorcha. He told me we don't live in lord of the rings :/

Apparently my mom had "other" ideas of what to name her daughters...had one of us been a boy the name would be directly after my dad....however, she came up with some whackadoodle name combinations until my dad put his foot down....

I was teasing my mom and her friend while I was pregnant with DD....we didn't know the gender, both women had very simple, plain names the both detested (both are making a serious comeback, BTW)....so I told them we were thinking about a combination of their two names....you should have seen the feathers fly! Another thought was Xanthe (Greek meaning 'blond haired')...pronounced Zanthee...they were appalled....she could have been Persephone's best friend. 

1 person likes this

I love Xanthe!  

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, MirandaPanda said:

I love Xanthe!  

And who doesn't love a name with an "X" in it!

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, MirandaPanda said:

These posts are reminding me, people, that I've heard of some couples deciding, "He names the boys and she names the girls." Also heard of some couples taking turns (if they have/plan to have more than one child) so that one parent names the first child, the other, the second, and so on. While I haven't actually known any couple who did either of those exactly, I do know one couple who alternated the choice of first and middle names, respectively, IOWs, she chose the first name of one child but he picked the middle name; then, he selected the first name of the next child but she chose the middle (fortunately, the combinations came out ok).

Has anyone here done/known anyone who has done anything like that?

8 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Apparently my mom had "other" ideas of what to name her daughters...had one of us been a boy the name would be directly after my dad....however, she came up with some whackadoodle name combinations until my dad put his foot down....

I'm a huge name nerd and I just couldn't ever see myself letting hubby pic the name lol. That sounds so controlling but it has always been one of my favorite things about babies. We always do family names as middle names and we never had any issues with those. 

My husbands best friend since kindergarten is named Seth. But that is not what his mother named him. His dad changed the paperwork that his mom filled in before turning it in and did not tell the mom lol 

I'm a name nerd as well. We went thru lists of names with DD before settling on the Portuguese derivative of the names of aunts, who names have the same origin. Worked for us...and she has a derivative of my name as a middle name. DS was named for xH's PGF with xH's name as a middle name. It really wasn't my preference, but xH was an agreeable sort by nature so when he felt so strongly about this I didn't argue. Its a strong man's name and with the rather exotic European last name it works well. 

I do not like a lot of the names out there...I am more for names Like, Lance, Brian, Scott or Girls I like Emily, Isabella with an occasional not so common name such as Willow. I have been hearing the name Nevaeh for a girl a lot lately.

DD was going to be Emily...its one of my favorites...until her dad came home one day to veto Emily....so, the middle name moved up to the first name and the new middle name was chosen.

I've really no preference when it comes to names, old, new, unique- One of mine is a 4th and not unusual, and neither are the others- And yet I can't for life of me imagine them being called anything else- Each is so unique in their own way- The GC, they each have wonderfully unique names- We (me and sibs) were all named after saints .. 

4 hours ago, Hope49 said:

. I have been hearing the name Nevaeh for a girl a lot lately.

Some of my DDs' friends seem to love the name Nevaeh while others find it "too sweet" - both for the same reason - as you ladies may realize, it's "Heaven" spelled backwards. :)

While picking names for our babies, we mostly considered how they sounded with our distinct last name and if school aged children would come up with a not so nice nickname derived from the combination.  I think we made good choices.