• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

So will you use butter now?

17 posts in this topic

I already use butter. I prefer the taste.

1 person likes this

We never quit. The alternative was transfat/margarine that has no decent flavor.

Actually I have both in my frig...but I've always said God didn't make any junk.  It's when man starts messing around with things that there is an issue.

I was raised on grass fed milk and butter that actually would take on the flavor of the weeds they were eating.  I still have a recipe or two that I prefer to use margarine or a mix of 1/2 each for my flavor.

2 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Actually I have both in my frig...but I've always said God didn't make any junk.

My MIL said something similar, except in broken Italian. She was a funny ducky.

"If God wanna you to hava  ___  He woulda hada ihtalianO inventa ___ "

Our kids and my personal favorite: "If God wanna ___  His perfect Angel woulda inventa ___ "

(referencing my husband  "God's perfect Angel")

I'm assuming ihtalianOs invented butter not margarine.  :) 

1 person likes this

I much prefer butter....and I use European butter...it seems a little "lighter". Just have to be reasonable on the amount

Always used butter. Stick or block. Now mostly Kerrygold. DH likes to keep margerine on hand, but he rarely uses it. Since we are talking about butter, do you leave yours out or keep it in the fridge?  Have you ever used, or do you use a butter bell?  If in the fridge, do you use a butter dish or keep it in its packaging?

I use a butter bell....change the water every 3 days or so with a pinch of salt

If I plan on serving bread and butter or corn on the cob, I will take a small amount of butter out to soften, otherwise it is in the frig.

We have forms of nutrient rich bread/flour group at every meal. Most of my family use butter on bread, cornbread, waffles, pancakes, oats, muffins, etc - so while making coffee my husband (like his mom) whips a one/two day supply of butter. We keep soft butter in a lidded container, in the refrigerator, ready to use/spread (not for cooking, that's in the freezer).

We use European butter or butter from a local farmer. American butter tends to be from dairys that use growth hormones and other chemicals, so says our local organic dairy farmer. I like the flavor of Irish butter best. I don't use very much butter. However butter has about the same calories as margarine or oil and we all need fat in our diet.

It's cold, a ski weekend, stew/soup and bread/butter are pretty much staple-foods.

Edited by JanelleK

We quit using margarine over 15 years ago.

Also just this last week I was watching a video and they guy said that when you take out a stick of butter from the frig or freezer the quickest way to thaw w/o the microwave is to set it longwise up. Tried it and it does work. When I do it in the microwave I turn it every 5 seconds so it doesn't get soft in one place.

Thanks for the replies, @donna538 and the information!

Granted, we generally ask members not to post in threads that are more than 3 months old, unless they're the OP (original poster) or it's a "stickypost"/ thread pinned (thumb tack icon) to the front of the forum. However, since this seems to be a significant and still current topic (even though you made a relevant change 15 years ago :)  ), I'm going to go ahead and pin it to the front of this forum and let the discussion continue...

Yes, I most definitely use real butter.  For the longest time i used margarine but now I have switched to butter.  Of course i do not abuse it like I really want to haha.  My waistline won't permit that.  But I do use it on holidays.  I seldom use butter on a daily basis.

Always butter!

I never stopped using butter, but I did stop using margarine about five years ago, and I only use organic butter now made from cows that are not fed growth hormones. I cook with a combination of olive oil and coconut oil, and use butter mostly for a little flavor at the end after something is almost done. Or maybe one pat of butter in a pot of rice or added to the oil when I'm cooking an omelet, something like that. It takes me about 3 months to use up a pound of butter, so I don't think I'm using it excessively. And I agree with someone else who wrote that we need good oils in our diet, although I like to get that from avocados if I can. 

Use to, but now I'm vegan, so "Earth Balance" for me!