• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

"Obamacare" - should it stay or should it go?

36 posts in this topic

On 2017-01-19 at 2:25 PM, Komorebi said:

Amen!

But technically, nobody has to crawl off and die. There are clinics, some free, some charge small fees. Most of the work is volunteer.  However, they are far and few between.  Also, hospitals are required by law to provide care to people, they cannot turn people away from Emergency Rooms.

People DO die.

ERs stabilize ppl. They don't *treat* them. If you have cancer, you will DIE, rather than get treatment, b/c you don't have insurance.

I had a friend who's dh had liver failure. In and out of the ER on a reg basis. They'd stablize him, and send him home. He needed *treatment*, so that his failing liver wouldn't keep poisoning his bloodstream, but so sorry, no insurance.

They ended up having to *divorce* so that he could get medicare? medicaid? (sorry I get the 2 terms confused) b/c she made something like $200 too much to qualify.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

I had a friend who's dh had liver failure. In and out of the ER on a reg basis. They'd stablize him, and send him home. He needed *treatment*, so that his failing liver wouldn't keep poisoning his bloodstream, but so sorry, no insurance.

They ended up having to *divorce* so that he could get medicare? medicaid? (sorry I get the 2 terms confused) b/c she made something like $200 too much to qualify.

That would be Medicaid. And, IMO, you hit the crux of the problem - people not poor enough to qualify for Medicaid but not affluent enough to afford private health insurance or (in the recent past) not able to get it for some other reason, such as a pre-existing condition.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

People DO die.

ERs stabilize ppl. They don't *treat* them. If you have cancer, you will DIE, rather than get treatment, b/c you don't have insurance.

Yes, people die.  And emergency rooms do provide treatmemt, just not for everything. But stabilization is life saving treatment. Without it your friend would have died. And I did reference clinics. The main point is that your friend survived. Second is its beyond terrible that people have to go thru what they did. And from experience, as recettly as this week and last, I can tell you healthcare here is no picnic. Beautiful facilities. Equipment. Abundance. Even with insurance, yet due to insurance, treatment isnt easy to aquire!!! There are wait times! Ugh ... its messed up .. but at least we have it. 

8 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Yes, people die.  And emergency rooms do provide treatmemt, just not for everything. But stabilization is life saving treatment. Without it your friend would have died. And I did reference clinics. The main point is that your friend survived. Second is its beyond terrible that people have to go thru what they did. And from experience, as recettly as this week and last, I can tell you healthcare here is no picnic. Beautiful facilities. Equipment. Abundance. Even with insurance, yet due to insurance, treatment isnt easy to aquire!!! There are wait times! Ugh ... its messed up .. but at least we have it. 

Actually, no.

Her husband needed a liver transplant. Couldn't even get on the list. No insurance, no transplant, terminal. NO treatment (dialysis), damage to body systems, fatal.

Stabilization is *not* life saving treatment. It's a 'for now' treatment. It's simply getting someone stable enough not to die walking out. People have cancer, that with treatment, has a 100% survival rate at 5 yrs, but *can't* get treatment for it, and die as a result.

Insulin dependant diabetics go into the ER, get stabilized. Loss of ACA = loss of insurance for them, = loss of medication = death, sooner or later.

1 hour ago, ImpishMom said:

Actually, no.

Her husband needed a liver transplant. Couldn't even get on the list. No insurance, no transplant, terminal. NO treatment (dialysis), damage to body systems, fatal.

Stabilization is *not* life saving treatment. It's a 'for now' treatment. It's simply getting someone stable enough not to die walking out. People have cancer, that with treatment, has a 100% survival rate at 5 yrs, but *can't* get treatment for it, and die as a result.

Insulin dependant diabetics go into the ER, get stabilized. Loss of ACA = loss of insurance for them, = loss of medication = death, sooner or later.

Your friends husband was treated in the ER- I'm certain the hospital billed your friend for services provided- Stabilizing preserves life- But you are correct regarding what ER's do not provide-

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

Your friends husband was treated in the ER- I'm certain the hospital billed your friend for services provided- Stabilizing preserves life- But you are correct regarding what ER's do not provide-

Hospital emergency room are bound by law to accept & treat anyone who comes through the door regardless of the ability to pay. Stabilizing just prolongs the inevitable,however I understand the want/hope.

1 person likes this

On 1/15/2017 at 2:11 PM, oscarsmaman said:

We need to cut the crap and become a single-payer country, like every other developed, industrialized nation (and even like many backwards, third-world "developing" countries).

It is beyond disgusting how so many in this country can claim to be "pro-life," but they want to defund Planned Parenthood, throw out the ACA, and they continue to vote for a party that has NEVER done anything but fight against public health for the already-born.

I'm still enjoying a dark moment of hilarity, though, where this dummy on Facebook was crowing about how Trump was going to throw out "Obamacare." Someone said "Uh, don't you have health insurance through Obamacare?" And the guy said, "No, dummy, I'm not on Obamacare! I'm on the ACA!" This idiot didn't even realize the ACA IS Obamacare. As soon as he figured out his mistake (courtesy of everyone jeering at him), he fell quiet.

I thought this was an isolated case, Oscar. But I've since learned that it's more common than I thought. Via FB, etc. I've heard of/run into other people who don't realize that the ACA and Obamacare are the same thing! Funny and scary at the same time...

The incredible lack of uninformed people boggles my mind. DH's niece "Debbie Downer" and I turn 65 this year, she's a few months older. We were talking about the Medicare transition we both face this year and I mentioned needing to select a Medicare drug plan....she had no idea she was supposed to do this. I saw her the other day and she wanted to know if I'd done her Medicare research for her....uh, no, I haven't done my own yet. I gave her two suggestions on getting information (hospital social worker or AARP to start). She has no idea how Medicare works and the differences she faces if she continues to work after 65 regarding health care and the enrollment deadlines or selected a secondary payer vs Medicare HMO. This is information you need!

Supposedly the goal is single payer. Many people were afraid of Obamacare before they had it. Now they have it. And now they are afraid of single payer. Most Americans my guess is that they wont settle for less. If the president presents a less than desirable repeal and replace plan Washington wont be able to sleep or move because so many people will clog that city and not leave until they get what they need.